• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of flat track bullies - Hayden vs Sehwag

Who's the better batsman?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
I'm not a Sehwag supporter far from it but the man was a trend setter. There is aggressive then there is Sehwag. The likes of Greenidge, Hayden etc are pedestrian relatively speaking. And when conditions are tough yeah he wilts but when conditions are in his favor which let's be honest, happens more often than not then watch out. Looking at his record he was poor in England, NZ and RSA and mostly good everywhere else. That's good enough for me because outside of the elites (the big 4) there isn't an opener who didn't have conditions in which they struggled.
Everyone has 1-2 bogey countries but that's a pretty big hole for me compared to other worldclass openers.

Slifer

International Captain
Everyone has 1-2 bogey countries but that's a pretty big hole for me compared to other worldclass openers.
Let's pick a random world class opener: Alistair Cook. He too struggled in RSA and NZ but like Sehwag was solid everywhere else.

Gary Kirsten (slightly different eras but still): struggled in SL and WI. Good every where else.

The point being, every player has their struggles, probably Sehwag more than some in swinging conditions. But like I said, swinging conditions are few and far between. I could see a Sehwag getting owned by a Donald and Pollock in RSA, but when the series inevitably shifts to India he'd eat them alive. And any spinner no comments necessary.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Sehwag is an absolute cheat code at home. With the current bowling we have, if we had Sehwag up in the top order (although our openers have largely been useful), we're winning every game by an innings or 10 wickets.

Slifer

International Captain
Sehwag is an absolute cheat code at home. With the current bowling we have, if we had Sehwag up in the top order (although our openers have largely been useful), we're winning every game by an innings or 10 wickets.
People seriously don't get how demoralizing this guy was . And not just this team. An all time Indian team with Sehwag, at home, would be pretty much unbeatable.

subshakerz

International Coach
Let's pick a random world class opener: Alistair Cook. He too struggled in RSA and NZ but like Sehwag was solid everywhere else.

Gary Kirsten (slightly different eras but still): struggled in SL and WI. Good every where else.

The point being, every player has their struggles, probably Sehwag more than some in swinging conditions. But like I said, swinging conditions are few and far between. I could see a Sehwag getting owned by a Donald and Pollock in RSA, but when the series inevitably shifts to India he'd eat them alive. And any spinner no comments necessary.
Failing in the three countries known to support lateral movement is not the same as failing in 1-2 countries. If Sehwag managed to do well in 1 of 3 you can do the downplaying you are trying.

It just goes to how we assess players. I don't assess them better for playing more and succeeding in their favored conditions, you apparently do. It's not a reflection of their actual skill quality.

subshakerz

International Coach
People seriously don't get how demoralizing this guy was . And not just this team. An all time Indian team with Sehwag, at home, would be pretty much unbeatable.
I did a thread a few months ago where I said that Sehwag was the greatest ever batter in SC conditions and nobody came close. Again, doesn't make him greater overall.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I did a thread a few months ago where I said that Sehwag was the greatest ever batter in SC conditions and nobody came close. Again, doesn't make him greater overall.
Yes, but the problem is you’re pitting him against somewhat similar/comparable players in the pantheon, who were often middling at best in certain conditions/countries or even bunnies in many places themselves. And not quite as destructive at home.
Most test players play somewhere between 45-55% of tests at home, some even higher. So it’s not surprising that most are deciding to just take the easy almost guaranteed win at home with a Sehwag 45-55% of the time. And he wasn’t totally useless everywhere.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yes, but the problem is you’re pitting him against somewhat similar/comparable players in the pantheon, who were often middling at best in certain conditions/countries or even bunnies in many places themselves. And not quite as destructive at home.
Most test players play somewhere between 45-55% of tests at home, some even higher. So it’s not surprising that most are deciding to just take the easy almost guaranteed win at home with a Sehwag 45-55% of the time. And he wasn’t totally useless everywhere.
Fair enough. To me the liability of him away even compared to someone like Hayden overrides the advantage of him in SC.

But I don't think picking Sehwag is crazy as they are close to me.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Fair enough. To me the liability of him away even compared to someone like Hayden overrides the advantage of him in SC.

But I don't think picking Sehwag is crazy as they are close to me.
And yet here you are arguing like someone picked Chris Martin over McGrath.

Everyone who picked Sehwag will tell you it’s a close decision, they just marginally prefer Sehwag’s absolute destructiveness at home and in general over Hayden’s ever so slight consistency.

subshakerz

International Coach
And yet here you are arguing like someone picked Chris Martin over McGrath.

Everyone who picked Sehwag will tell you it’s a close decision, they just marginally prefer Sehwag’s absolute destructiveness at home and in general over Hayden’s ever so slight consistency.
I said it was close earlier in the thread. I haven't changed my tune.

Comments like below sparked this hornets nest.

Jadeja and Sehwag are two of the greatest cricketers of this century.