• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh improving a lot?

Athlai

Not Terrible
How good they look?! What a ridiculously bad measure of how good a team is.

Good teams are teams that win cricket matches. If you lose all of your cricket matches, you're so far down the ladder of crap that how good you are in comparison to the other teams in that cesspit can't possibly be determined. A team that continually gets into winning positions then throws them away is no better than one that just loses all the time from ball one.
Winning and losing is hardly an accurate measure of how good a team is. Of course Bangladesh is worse than the other nations, so is the West Indies and New Zealand. How does that determine where they currently are as a team though? Surely someone who knows a thing or two about cricket can establish how good a cricket team currently is.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

How good they look?! What a ridiculously bad measure of how good a team is.

Good teams are teams that win cricket matches. If you lose all of your cricket matches, you're so far down the ladder of crap that how good you are in comparison to the other teams in that cesspit can't possibly be determined. A team that continually gets into winning positions then throws them away is no better than one that just loses all the time from ball one.
guess you've not seen Bangladesh play post 2006/2007 then :)!

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Winning and losing is hardly an accurate measure of how good a team is. Of course Bangladesh is worse than the other nations, so is the West Indies and New Zealand. How does that determine where they currently are as a team though? Surely someone who knows a thing or two about cricket can establish how good a cricket team currently is.
As a test team, they're as bad as it's physically possible to be. You can't do worse than losing all your matches. That's what we know about their ability.

ODIs are a different story- they've never been so dire in that format- but they're still not really winning any more games. The point I'm making is that any credit gained from getting into a great position against Sri Lanka is immediately negated by letting Murali score 25-odd runs off an over and throwing the match away.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
As a test team, they're as bad as it's physically possible to be. You can't do worse than losing all your matches. That's what we know about their ability.
Yeah but improvement does lose that way. Lets say normal test teams rate at about 60 points on average and you need to pass it to beat them. Bangladesh used to rock out at like 40, they've now risen to 50-55. Still not good enough to win a match but definitely improved. If they got to play themselves of a few years ago or Zimbabwe they'd kick their asses.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would they kick their asses- or would they dominate the game for three and a half days, then throw it away in the most ridiculous fashion possible? The latter would be much more typical of them.

But that doesn't matter. It's all speculation. I'm in the results business, and I don't see any.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Would they kick their asses- or would they dominate the game for three and a half days, then throw it away in the most ridiculous fashion possible? The latter would be much more typical of them.

But that doesn't matter. It's all speculation. I'm in the results business, and I don't see any.
Reckon we should get boozed and karaoke this thing out.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Her name was Lola she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there!
At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana (Copacabana)
The hottest spot north of Havana (here)
At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana
Music and passion were always the fashion
At the Copa....they fell in love!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You really know it's come to something when Barry Manilow is being quoted in a thread.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
regardless, there are a few positives, they have a strong population base, they have a strong selection of YOUNG cricketers, its all good, give them 5 years then judge.

Majic

Cricket Spectator
They are a very young side and it seems as though their U 19's team is a pretty strong side. Shakib has been phenomenal for them and I think he should be given the permanent captaincy.

I reckon in maybe 10-15 years they will be able to compete against the likes of Australia, India.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It would be interesting to ask those who were involved in the voting back when Test status was given to Bangladesh whether they still agreed with their decision.

I'm of the opinion that there's no use turning back now and striking them from Test status. A self-doubt culture that has been established by losing so much will take a long time to turn around though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
regardless, there are a few positives, they have a strong population base, they have a strong selection of YOUNG cricketers, its all good, give them 5 years then judge.
As I said at the start of this thread, that's been being said for many years now. Until the performances actually start to come, it's a rehash of old territory.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
the main difference is the standard in talent and the depth, those 2 things are much better these days, it hasn't translated so well into the win/loss record although the averages of their players have improved a little bit. they have improved but they were so far behind that they still haven't caught up.