• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

SeamUp

International Coach
Bancroft and Smith properly remorseful and emotional and fighting tears. Showing what it meant to represent Australia to them. They will come again after a bad mistake. Smith was one of the best batsmen in the world and Bancroft was actually growing into his test career. Looked more likely to guts it out than Khawaja and S.Marsh.

Warner : Stain on the game but I will speak in a couple of days. The ****.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow both of those were so difficult to watch.

I honestly don't know how anyone can be advocating for the full 12 months for Smith in particular. Yep, it happened on his watch, but it also happened on Lehmann's watch. It's also not that high on the list of crimes or even ways of cheating.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I'm still confident it will be reduced significantly with an appeal, for Smith at least. I can't imagine it sticking. Maybe I'm just in denial.
I dunno man, I had the same thought when the sanctions were announced.

I don't think CA can wait til next March to get Smith back.
I thinks it going to be difficult for CA to backtrack now.... all the reasons the ACA have given is how the RoW and ICC treat 'ball-tampering' but this no longer has anything to do with that, this is purely about CA and how they believe their image needs to be protected. This punishment is all about perception , nothing to do with the crime, but making the CA look proactive and seen to be seen doing something.

Spark

Global Moderator
I thinks it going to be difficult for CA to backtrack now.... all the reasons the ACA have given is how the RoW and ICC treat 'ball-tampering' but this no longer has anything to do with that, this is purely about CA and how they believe their image needs to be protected. This punishment is all about perception , nothing to do with the crime, but making the CA look proactive and seen to be seen doing something.
In any case there isn't that much scope for them to backtrack in a way that looks kosher unless someone appeals, and I reaaaally don't think Smith and Bancroft will.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yup. That's how I viewed things when the rumours about the punishment were to be imposed. This is bigger than ball-tampering in their eyes.

Spark

Global Moderator
Mob justice, in short.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I never really liked Smith that much, talked a lot of **** about him, ever since before he came onto the scene and a guy I played with a couple times who went through age-group cricket with him in Sydney told me stories of him being a dick. But the amount of respect I've gained for him over the last few days alone, simply for the responsibility he's taken for this, is far more than it would ever be just from him making lots of runs. When it comes out that he really knew next to nothing of the tampering plan, and went out there to take the fall and protect Bancroft and even Warner who was nowhere to be seen after play, he'll go down as one of the great Australian heroes.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Mob justice, in short.
Pretty much... but the association that is meant to look after the players and the game have decided that the players can be collateral damage; but lets save our own skins. Why the **** is Lehmann still there here in SA while his players go threw this brutality....

Gnske

I agree with you on that. BUT I still have this image in my head that takes place months down the road where CA have noted Smith's efforts at rehabilitation or some bs gobbilty gook like that has gone above the call of duty and has been pleasing enough for an early return.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This is bigger than ball-tampering in their eyes.
I do wonder how this would have played out if this tour wasn't so full of controversy prior to the ball tampering? I kinda feel this was the last straw for the Australian cricket team........feels very much to me like Smith has been held accountable for an awful lot of **** that others higher up the food chain should be answering for.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You get the feeling the ICC punishment plus losing the captaincy is more than enough for Smith after all that. Genuinely feel for the bloke (and Bancroft)

TheJediBrah

I thought Australian cricketers were dicks. Geez your media and casual fans are so much worse.

Poor Steve :(
Australians are real ****s sometimes :(

Privileged, entitled ****s. You should see the way jobless drains on society treat hardworking immigrants in certain places.

SeamUp

International Coach
The outcry ?

I wonder what sort there will be next Australian summer when cricket fans want to watch their best batsmen against India and may not even turn up because of it ? Could that happen ? There are surely those out there like that.

You always hear the moaners first. Seems like it was the case with CA this time.

Last edited:

Starfighter

I thought Australian cricketers were dicks. Geez your media and casual fans are so much worse.
They feed into each other unfortunately. We have successful players who are arseholes, people pick up that impression and expect it and that feeds back into the team attitude, and then the same people get all shocked when things go wrong.

TheJediBrah

The outcry ?

I wonder what sort there will be next Australian summer when cricket fans want to watch their best batsmen against India and may not even turn up because of it ? Could that happen ? There are surely those out there like that.

You always hear the moaners first. Seems like it was the case with CA this time.
Count me as one.

Unless Maxwell is playing

cnerd123

likes this
Geez I'm actually sympathising and feeling sorry for an Australian cricketer and Aussie fans

**** you Cricket Australia