• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Those pressers were at the airport right? Probably barely got off the plane after an 18h flight....

Last edited:

digiosmosis

Cricket Spectator
Some people feel that the 1-year ban was a bit too much. Here's what I feel. Australia wanted to send out a clear message to its players, but even so, a one-year ban was a little too much, even though CA code of conduct does not specify the punishment for altering the condition of the ball. But one has to understand CA's point of view as well.
With the captain and the vice-captain involved in this, it is first important to win the people over once again and ensure that children watching everywhere in the world do not stoop to such a low, just to win a game of cricket. What CA would have also had at the back of their minds is the sponsors.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mate, go onto social media where it's being discussed

People that have no interest in the game want them strung up
If you'd told me a week ago that a situation could ever arise where I would do anything other than despise David Warner I'd have laughed like a drain - what a difference a few days makes

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
But this is the whole point... this is not even about the tour here in SA, this has been going for awhile (not the ball-tampering, as such) in the Aus cricket team, continous off the field stuff and that was all fine while they were winning... but the minute they looked to be losing in a tough controversial series, everything goes to **** and CA reacts.

This has been talked about ad nauseam though. Punishment does not fit the crime, and CA, management, and Lehmann are getting away with it now.
Yeah 100%, I was very nearly gonna change my post to say for the last few years rather than this series.

Everyone here knows this is a ****ed reaction. The team needs a shake up and a serious change of direction but CA have just fried the wrong people, yeah Smith as skip needs to be accountable.........so take the captaincy off him. How Lehmann and Sutherland are not culpable and their positions not being discussed is just beyond me.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Some people feel that the 1-year ban was a bit too much. Here's what I feel. Australia wanted to send out a clear message to its players, but even so, a one-year ban was a little too much, even though CA code of conduct does not specify the punishment for altering the condition of the ball. But one has to understand CA's point of view as well.
With the captain and the vice-captain involved in this, it is first important to win the people over once again and ensure that children watching everywhere in the world do not stoop to such a low, just to win a game of cricket. What CA would have also had at the back of their minds is the sponsors.
Their point of view is to protect themselves and their money.... none of this is really doing any good for cricket in Australia.

Spark

Global Moderator
Their point of view is to protect themselves and their money.... none of this is really doing any good for cricket in Australia.
What (some) of the sponsors thing now is mildly irrelevant as they're bailing anyway. It's about the TV rights, mostly.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So the big question is will this satisfy the nation of Australia ?

Clearly you guys who are actual cricket fans think differently but will the rest of the nation change their stance after seeing these press conferences?

Hard to watch and you can't help but feel a bit sorry for them but then you think, if they hadn't done it they would be readying themselves for tomorrows test.

Spark

Global Moderator

Clearly you guys who are actual cricket fans think differently but will the rest of the nation change their stance after seeing these press conferences?

Hard to watch and you can't help but feel a bit sorry for them but then you think, if they hadn't done it they would be readying themselves for tomorrows test.
The "vibe" I got today is that it is actually softening, and was softening before the pressers. I think people really did not like the look of those pictures that came out last night of the media/security scrum surrounding Smith at the Jo'burg airport, it genuinely looked more like a perp walk than anything else. That gave more air to the "you're treating him worse than actual crooks you dickheads" voices to get a hearing.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

That`s going to be up to the media.... will the media do a classic switch, from creating a big scandal, to sympathizing with the protagonists. Standard media stuff to keep the spin going.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The rest of the nation will just forget and move onto the next thing to be outraged over. Offence taking is very much our national sport atm.