• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I do wonder how this would have played out if this tour wasn't so full of controversy prior to the ball tampering? I kinda feel this was the last straw for the Australian cricket team........feels very much to me like Smith has been held accountable for an awful lot of **** that others higher up the food chain should be answering for.
But this is the whole point... this is not even about the tour here in SA, this has been going for awhile (not the ball-tampering, as such) in the Aus cricket team, continous off the field stuff and that was all fine while they were winning... but the minute they looked to be losing in a tough controversial series, everything goes to **** and CA reacts.

This has been talked about ad nauseam though. Punishment does not fit the crime, and CA, management, and Lehmann are getting away with it now.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In any case there isn't that much scope for them to backtrack in a way that looks kosher unless someone appeals, and I reaaaally don't think Smith and Bancroft will.
Selectors at any level dont have to pick them and CA wont renew their contracts so .....

cnerd123

likes this
****ing hell me too.......****s have played us like a fiddle *****!!
This feels like having a really obnoxious, annoying, bully of a kid on your class who you really hate, and then he gets in trouble and the teacher calls his parents and it's hilarious and we're all celebrating, then his dad comes to the school to pick him up and you realise he's an abusive drunk and this kid comes from an awful home and his parents beat him and you see tears in his eyes as he leaves and your stomach sinks and suddenly the whole thing isn't funny anymore

**** you Cricket Australia

Bolo

State Captain
I feel sorry for Smith, Bancroft and even Warner ( even if I don't like his belligerance).... They ****ed up but that is not what they are being punished for, they are being punished to make a statement because CA, team management and coach have created a toxic culture and now they are using these guys to scapegoat rather than accept responsibility themselves.
I don't understand how CA could ban Smith from the game for as much as a year, but from the captaincy for only two. It's not like he (or anyone else) did anything so bad, and he shouldn't pay such a price as a player. The incident in its entirety was bad enough to ban a captain for life though- a captain should be beholden to the outrage of the fans because the institution of captaincy is taken as a proxy for the nation.

Is this more evidence of CAs scapegoating? Putting undue blame on him as a player and avoiding casting doubt on the institution of captaincy?

Starfighter

In any case there isn't that much scope for them to backtrack in a way that looks kosher unless someone appeals, and I reaaaally don't think Smith and Bancroft will.
I think they, or at least Smith, would be crazy not to appeal but this whole thing's been so crazy that more craziness would be unsurprising now.

Maybe I'm the crazy one for thinking that there's a chance that somebody will do something that is within a country mile of being rational.

social

I was listening to former test player Gavin Robertson on the radio this afternoon

Robbo and I go way back to kids cricket, through the grades, etc and the guy is as honest as the day is long

According to his sources, everything that was rumored this week about Warner and the team is true e.g. gone completely off reservation, team wanted him out of the hotel, etc

Seems like Smith was too weak to control him and is taking a fall as it happened on his watch

Such a shame

Spark

Global Moderator
I think they, or at least Smith, would be crazy not to appeal but this whole thing's been so crazy that more craziness would be unsurprising now.

Maybe I'm the crazy one for thinking that there's a chance that somebody will do something that is within a country mile of being rational.
Oh I agree with you on merit. I just don't think they actually will.

social

BTW, Smith and Bancroft doing those pressers was part of their punishment

Warner is not doing one so read into that what you will

Gnske

I was listening to former test player Gavin Robertson on the radio this afternoon

Robbo and I go way back to kids cricket, through the grades, etc and the guy is as honest as the day is long

According to his sources, everything that was rumored this week about Warner and the team is true e.g. gone completely off reservation, team wanted him out of the hotel, etc

Seems like Smith was too weak to control him and is taking a fall as it happened on his watch

Such a shame
It's a pity, I always suspected Smith was never that assertive. But he never had a chance trying to control a polar opposite like Warner with his personality.

And I thought making an enemy of Brett Geeves would be the real unforgivable crime in his career.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Warner is not doing one so read into that what you will
I can't see anything but Warners career being over at international level.... maybe play FC, and become a T20 player. Or just outright retire. Why take the punishment if you just going to walk away.

social

I thought Australian cricketers were dicks. Geez your media and casual fans are so much worse.

Poor Steve :(
Mate, go onto social media where it's being discussed

People that have no interest in the game want them strung up

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wait, you mean that someone made them do those pressers?
Yeah would've been a generic "address the fans" stipulation. That's not to say they wouldn't have done it if they weren't forced, and they didn't have to be so candid either, but I heard it was part of the punishment too.