• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Lehmann didn’t know then he’s not doing his job. If he did know then he should be stood down.

I think either way he should go. I don’t see how he could in any way engineer the sort of cultural change the team needs, because everything I’ve aeen, hear or read from him basically encapsulates the culture as it currently is.
Underrated possibility is that Lehmann purposefully didn't know. Creating a rule-breaking culture and constantly pressuring people to pull questionable ****, all while technically maintaining your own plausible deniability, is Unethical Management 101.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If he didn't know then imo it's just as big a fail on Lehmann's part as coach. How the **** does he still have his job.
I agree, but like Sutherland not using the term "cheat" last night, there's a lot of protection legally that needs to happen in the short term to get their overall desired results in the medium term.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Meh. This is how this guy describes himself on Twitter:

"HIV/LGBTI/HepC legal activist, lawyer-to-be, apiarist, polymath, homo��, cyborg��, strigiphile��. ��Pronoun Island: he/him examples . ⚠own views, usual disclaimers."

****s me when people who are (usually) SJWs disparage people who like other things (usually sports).

Like it's not possible to care about both indigenous health and offshore detention, but also take an interest in a sporting controversy. Meh.

Does this Paul Kidd guy sit around his entire life discussing deep political issues, does he?

OverratedSanity

I don't think they'll have a better chance though. It'll be much easier taking those wickets without Smith and Warner.
India couldn't win in Australia in the 80s when they had their greatest fast bowler and half of Australia's team was away playing for Packer.

It is never happening unless India produce a Steyn or a McGrath. As much as I love Bhuvi, I know what he is.

morgieb

If he didn't know then imo it's just as big a fail on Lehmann's part as coach. How the **** does he still have his job.
It's literally the same sort of situation as Smith. Even if he wasn't directly involved, he still should've kept the dressing room under better control and he also helped foster the sort of culture that encouraged cheating. Has to go.

If he's still coach by next season with Smith and Warner on the sidelines my avatar will be that of the BCCI.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, I don't see how Lehmann's position could be tenable. Either he was party to it in which case he should serve with the others (if CA go down that route, which they have) or he has so little influence on the team that he's just letting them disintegrate.

I think there is a good chance there will be a polite nudge.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: Sutherland's comments last night, here's a good summary:

https://twitter.com/sportslawMELB/status/978776114586767360

#sportslaw Why did Cricket Australia's Chief Executive James Sutherland not use the world cheating in today's "ball tampering" press conference? He is being ultra cautious but I can understand why - thread @TraceyLeeHolmes @MaryGearin @MelbLawSchool

1. The investigation is ongoing. The players, whether we like it or not, still have the right to due process.
2. The exact charge that they are likely to face under the CA's code of conduct is the catch-all offence of conduct "contrary to the spirit of the game; could be harmful to the interests of cricket; or does or could bring the game of cricket into disrepute" etc
3. The guidelines to that charge in the CA's code of conduct give the specific example of ''Cheating during a Match, including deliberate attempts to mislead the Umpire"
4. This means that if Sutherland uses the word cheating he could be accused of prejudicing the case against the players and/or the length of sanctions.
5. Remember these players are centrally contracted to CA and he is, effectively, their ultimate line manager and he has to let the independent disciplinary process take its course - as any boss in his position would
6. there is a lot at stake for these players - reputationally and financially; as there is for CA. using the word cheating might be a cheap headline in the short term but could be a very expensive one in the long term if it adversely affects the disciplinary process

Spikey

Should have heard the sycophantic interview on Fox Sports News with the Adelaide Advertiser cricket writer Richard Earle. I'm sympathetic to the idea that Lehmann didn't know about the specific plan, but according to Earle there are nuns more likely to encourage ball tampering than Lehmann.
has he given up on Klinger getting a call up

OverratedSanity

Yes, I don't see how Lehmann's position could be tenable. Either he was party to it in which case he should serve with the others (if CA go down that route, which they have) or he has so little influence on the team that he's just letting them disintegrate.

I think there is a good chance there will be a polite nudge.
He deserves to have his role as coach be given a public execution, not a polite nudge.

cnerd123

likes this
'lehmann is one of the good guys'

apart from the racism and generally being a massive, hypocritical ****.
Is Lehman really racist or did he just say something that was racist. Because I don't think a racist would be so keen on picking Khawaja and Agar as much as Lehman does.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Noooooo. **** doesn't get to resign.........I want his fat arse sacked :@

I'm no fan of Smith by any means, but this is a fairly minor misdemeanor and the punishment is beyond ridiculous. The problem isn't ball tampering, the problem is the ****wit culture of this cricket side and Lehmann is front row centre the problem with it. Steve Smith may have been the captain but Fat Arse is the General and this has all happened on his watch.........this team had serious behavioural issues before Smith was skip.

James Sutherland and his team must really be ****ing stupid.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Australia's next one year schedule

1. Tour of England (5 ODI, 1 T20) - June
2. Tour of Zimbabwe (1 Test, 3 ODI) - July
3. Home -Bangladesh (2 Test, 3 ODI) - August
4. Tour of UAE - Pakistan (5 ODI, 1 T20)- October
5. Home - South Africa (5 ODI, 3 T20) - November
6. Home - India (4 Test) - December
7. Home - Sri Lanka (2 Test, 3 ODI) - January 2019
8. Tour of India ( 5 ODI, 3 T20) - February
9. Tour of UAE - Pakistan (3 Test) - March

Thats 12 Tests, 29 ODIs and 8 T20s. Add IPL (not sure if they'll be able to participate).

CA what have you done??

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia's next one year schedule

1. Tour of England (5 ODI, 1 T20) - June
2. Tour of Zimbabwe (1 Test, 3 ODI) - July
3. Home -Bangladesh (2 Test, 3 ODI) - August
4. Tour of UAE - Pakistan (5 ODI, 1 T20)- October
5. Home - South Africa (5 ODI, 3 T20) - November
6. Home - India (4 Test) - December
7. Home - Sri Lanka (2 Test, 3 ODI) - January 2019
8. Tour of India ( 5 ODI, 3 T20) - February
9. Tour of UAE - Pakistan (3 Test) - March

Thats 12 Tests, 29 ODIs and 8 T20s. Add IPL (not sure if they'll be able to participate).

CA what have you done??
Makes me wonder if they would have done this over an Ashes year.

Flem274*

123/5
lehmann should be first on the block. i think a passionate moron like warner would be much easier to keep in line without his coach actively encouraging his worst impulses.

he was all class when he had ponting overseeing him in the t20 thing and if he was a player under a skipper like mccullum i think he'd be on board.

he's not a KP or a ryder where it's all about him.