• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averagest averageness

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i agree and Dameon probably does too. But his average puts him in the Justin Langer/Dean Jones/David Boon class for Australia so it kinda looks funny. We'd celebrate him like a reliable journeyman not our best batsman.

Ive heard excuses for his low average being that he was picked too young etc but yeah it still looks funny on paper

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
People are starting to use stats as a benchmark way too much on here. Don't forget that Martin played the majority of his Tests in NZ & was the backbone of an ok, yet not that powerful, batting lineup for more than a decade. It isn't hard to fathom him averaging more with the bat if he played for Australia, particularly if he played during the era Langer did.

cnerd123

likes this
Boeta Dippenar
Simon Katich
Brendan Nash
Dinesh Mongia
Nayan Mongia
Andrew Hall
Sanjay Bangar
Daryl Tuffey
Abdul Razzaq

stephen

Actually for much of his career Ntini was pretty ordinary, even playing on wickets which suited him.

mr_mister

People are starting to use stats as a benchmark way too much on here. Don't forget that Martin played the majority of his Tests in NZ & was the backbone of an ok, yet not that powerful, batting lineup for more than a decade. It isn't hard to fathom him averaging more with the bat if he played for Australia, particularly if he played during the era Langer did.

i know there's been a bit of a backlash against stats recently on here, but I still think a batting average is the most reliable way of assessing a batsman's value. Yes you have to take into account the difficulty of bowler's faced and countries played in, but an average is still useful within that context. I know Hayden's average of 50 against Sreesanth and Harmison is not as valuable as Crowe's 45 against Holding and Marshall. But before someone says those are extreme examples well that's what averages are for!

I have a lot of sympathy for Atheron's average of 37 due to bowlers he faced

With bowling I know it's nowhere near as reliable as you can bowl well all day and have 5 catches dropped. But for batting I love the law of averages.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Misread that at first when mentioning Martin and thought you were talking about Chris Martin!

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
i know there's been a bit of a backlash against stats recently on here, but I still think a batting average is the most reliable way of assessing a batsman's value. Yes you have to take into account the difficulty of bowler's faced and countries played in, but an average is still useful within that context. I know Hayden's average of 50 against Sreesanth and Harmison is not as valuable as Crowe's 45 against Holding and Marshall. But before someone says those are extreme examples well that's what averages are for!

I have a lot of sympathy for Atheron's average of 37 due to bowlers he faced

With bowling I know it's nowhere near as reliable as you can bowl well all day and have 5 catches dropped. But for batting I love the law of averages.
Batting averages take on far more significance for me when you look at how consistent they were maintained against all opponents in all conditions.

It's why IMO Sachin is the second best of all time (after Mr Obvious). Sachin's record is unblemished in all conditions against all opponents. He was equally adept against pace or spin on any wicket. Perfect technique.

eempyrean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Is the benchmark for an "average all rounder" 20 max batting average and 40+ bowling average maybe?

What about a batsman? Do we think 35 average? Or is that too low? 37 maybe?

And 30-40 bowling average with a batting average above 10?

Average comes to mind is Nasser Hussain. The batsman. He was an ok captain. 37 test average, 30 ODI average but 67 strike rate. I feel it was just good enough to cement his place in the side, but even if he averaged 2 lower in both forms I would imagine he wouldn't have played anywhere near as much. He was a very good fielder though, so maybe I can think of a better example tomorrow.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Batting averages take on far more significance for me when you look at how consistent they were maintained against all opponents in all conditions.
I'd say they take on lesser significance. Splitting the overall record into country wise stats cuts the sample down and the average for each split becomes less and less significant as a meaningful stat.

Not saying I disagree about Sachin obviously.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England Average Players of Averageness All Time XI

1. Mike Butcher
2. Peter Richardson
3. Nasser Hussain
4. Mike Denness
5. Ian Bell (c)
6. Keith Fletcher
7. Graeme Fowler
8. Phil DeFreitas
9. Fred Titmus
10. Andy Caddick
11. Neil Foster

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Andy Caddick is right up there in the Averageness stakes. Good call.

Actually, the fact that people totally forgot about him probably strengthens my point.

cnerd123

likes this
England Average Players of Averageness All Time XI

1. Mike Butcher
2. Peter Richardson
3. Nasser Hussain
4. Mike Denness
5. Ian Bell (c)
6. Keith Fletcher
7. Graeme Fowler
8. Phil DeFreitas
9. Fred Titmus
10. Andy Caddick
11. Neil Foster
Expected this to be a lineup of names that are puns of words that mean 'average'

Disappointed tstl