• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Average players who were inexplicably great against strong teams

subshakerz

International Coach
As the title mentions. I can think of a couple of examples.

There was Ijaz Ahmed, an otherwise ordinary batsman, yet managed an average of 47 against a strong Australia side, including 6 tons overall and 3 in 3 series in Australia, including McWarne attacks.

Then there was Azhar Mehmood, a rather run-of-the-mill all-rounder in the 90s who was SA's nemesis and averaged 75 against an attack of Donald and Pollock.

Any other examples?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Not exactly weak player against strong team but Laxman against Aus and Ashwin against WI come to mind.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I have no intention of digging through stats, but Allan Lamb has a modest Test record but made three centuries in one series against peak West Indies.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Salman Butt came to mind immediately. Take Aus out of his average and it'll come crashing down cause he's been so bad vs practically everyone else, but averages some 40+ vs Aus.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Dean Brownlie averaged 65 against Australia in ODIs and Test, albeit only played two Tests and a single ODI which were considerably better than his overall numbers. Key part in the 2011 Hobart Test

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't call them a strong team but Adam Voges averaged 542 against the West Indies over 5 Tests

Spark

Global Moderator
Salman Butt came to mind immediately. Take Aus out of his average and it'll come crashing down cause he's been so bad vs practically everyone else, but averages some 40+ vs Aus.
I feel it's really pushing the definition of "strong" to call those particular Aus sides strong. Middling, more like.