• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Test fast bowling depth

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean West Indies in the 70s and 80s was clearly a lot better

I think interestingly Aus now have much better fast bowling depth than they did in the 00's when they were the GOAT team. At their peak they had guys like Scott Muller, Matthew Nicholson, Paul Wilson & Brad Williams get games who are definitely inferior to the likes of Jhye Richardson IMO
Yeah, Mitch Perry and Wes Agar just opened the bowling for Australia A.
The same "Australia A" that featured state rookies Teague Wylie, Campbell Kellaway and Jordan Buckingham tbf

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Mitch Perry and Wes Agar just opened the bowling for Australia A.
That was pretty much a 4th-5th xi bowling attack due to injuries and county contracts tbf. The bowler closest to playing for Australia in that team was swepson and he's the 4th/5th choice red ball spinner depending on how A. Agar is perceived at any time.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I think interestingly Aus now have much better fast bowling depth than they did in the 00's when they were the GOAT team.
I think that says more about the quality of other teams playing than it does about Australia's own quality. Hard to be dominant when there is decent competition.

TheJediBrah

I think that says more about the quality of other teams playing than it does about Australia's own quality. Hard to be dominant when there is decent competition.
No, not at all. It's specifically just the back-up fast bowling that is stronger now for Aus, everything else is much, much weaker

trundler

I think interestingly Aus now have much better fast bowling depth than they did in the 00's when they were the GOAT team. At their peak they had guys like Scott Muller, Matthew Nicholson, Paul Wilson & Brad Williams get games who are definitely inferior to the likes of Jhye Richardson IMO
That also explains why test chumps like Bevan could rack up huge averages in FC despite clear limitations.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Bevan was also hurt by when he had to play test cricket, tbf. Played all his tests in the 90's when batting was nearly as hard as it is now. If he'de gotten a run in the 2000's I feel like hede have done a lot better.

Didn't alot of bevans better shield form come in the 2000's aswell? Would have been interested to see how that hypothetical Bevan would have done slotting in for a few years after Steve waughs retirement.

TheJediBrah

Bevan was also hurt by when he had to play test cricket, tbf. Played all his tests in the 90's when batting was nearly as hard as it is now. If he'de gotten a run in the 2000's I feel like hede have done a lot better.

Didn't alot of bevans better shield form come in the 2000's aswell? Would have been interested to see how that hypothetical Bevan would have done slotting in for a few years after Steve waughs retirement.
But wEaK aGaInSt sHoRt bAlL

TheJediBrah

That also explains why test chumps like Bevan could rack up huge averages in FC despite clear limitations.
Appreciate the effort here, not perfect though. Aus domestic bowling was still signficantly stronger than any other competition in the world at the time, except possible South Africa. So doesn't quite hold up under scrutiny

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not really. McGrath wasn't injured as often. So backup was not needed. Kasprowich and young Lee were decent backups.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Pak's pace stocks being great is usually based on relative analysis to India or SL, the other SC sides at the time. I mean, I know their second tier after Ws were not that great, but even then, given we had medium pace trundlers opening the bowling for every Ranji side, I still find it hard to be mindful of their second tier being not that great, coz for us, it always seemed like it was.

TheJediBrah

Not really. McGrath wasn't injured as often. So backup was not needed. Kasprowich and young Lee were decent backups.
This is correct, but as a fun fact I don't think Lee was ever actually left out of the side when fit. He was always in the first choice from his debut in 1999 to when he was really in his twilight years. They're might have been a game or 2 he was left out for Kasprowicz in India but I think that's it