• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Best ODI team of all time

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Matt Hayden from 07 was a punishing machine has to be picked

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Hussey
Watson
Warne
Lee
Starc
McGrath
So basically the 07 side with Lee over Tait and Warne over Hogg.

stephen

The funny thing is that you're not far from an actual ATG side with the actual 07 team.

mr_mister

Ian Harvey definitely has to be considered the best ever ODI player who never took a 5fer or scored a fifty right?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was Jones better than Ponting? Must have been pretty good if so.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Even Junior? Only a step down from Sachin you know
Haha. Jones > M. Waugh hence closer to Tendulkar IMO. Early pioneers get some extra points in my books. Cricinfo profile says: "Dean Jones wrote the book on one-day cricket - literally. He played a new game in which he walked down the pitch to fast bowlers, ran frenetically between wickets and turned outfielding into an attacking occupation."

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Was Jones better than Ponting? Must have been pretty good if so.
Yes, if you ask me. Ponting didn't quite redefine any aspect of ODI btasmanship. When it comes to ODIs I do rate that highly. Hence likes of Jones and Bevan get more credit from me.

Jones had superior batting average than Ponting in a less batsmen friendly era and had significantly higher ICC best ever rating (918) than Ponting (829). Not that those facts by themselves can clinch the argument.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Jones was an out and out one day gun. Initiated a lot of what happens nowadays, especially in regard to running between the wickets.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure I'd go as far as taking him over Ponting, but people forget how good Jones was at ODI's. He's certainly an ATG in the format.

Bolo

State Captain
Was there a better odi bat from Jones's era than him? Viv was in serious decline.

If not, it probably counts for something.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Was there a better odi bat from Jones's era than him? Viv was in serious decline.

If not, it probably counts for something.

40 plus avg , 70 plus SR ( min 50 matches)

1984-94

Viv 43.3 at 93.4
Jones 44.6 at 72.6
Sidhu 42 at 70.8
Brian Lara 40.2 at 71
Robin Smith 40.3 at 70.3

1984-1989

Viv 45 at 95
Jones 45.4 at 75.6
Lamb 40.5 at 74.4

Greenidge 44.7 at 69.7
Miandad 46 at 68.3

1990-1994

Ranatunga 42.9 at 81.6
Azharudin 42 at 80.9
Crowe 44.7 at 70.3
Lara 40.2 at 71
Sidhu 42.9 at 70
Kambli 42.3 at 72.5

Jones 43.8 at 69.8
Inzy 39.5 at 72.9
Smith 40.6 at 69.5

1987-1991
Jones 52.6 at 73.4
Lamb 40.7 at 76.9

Salim Malik 38.2 at 86.5
Viv 36 at 90.6

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Bit of Deano magic. Ignore the fact he would have been out on 3 if there was the third umpire :)

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Glichrist
Watson
Ponting
Jones
Hussey
Bevan
Symonds
Lee
Warne
Starc
Mcgrath

The way Maxwell is going, he would replace one of the middle order accumulators soon.