• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Yeah he's definitely done a decent job thus far, but he just looks out of place to me in a lineup with Ponting, Symonds and Gilchrist. Jacques fits in more IMO. Just like Kaif is kind of out of place with the likes of Yuvraj, Tendulkar and Dhoni but Raina is not, you know?:
yea i get your point here, he definately does. But you got to be fair unless he fails next season it would be harsh to drop him.

adharcric said:
What do you think of Cosgrove's chances of cracking into the XI? I'd say Clarke is the lowest in the pecking-order besides Katich.
I really think Cosgrove is ugly, but he seems like a good batsman. :laugh:
ha, yea another similarity he gets from Lehmann but if he is to get picked (depending of Kaitch's form) he will have to be as destructive in the ING cup as Jaques next season to be considered.

adharcric

International Coach
steds said:
You can't justify yourself, then.
Well yes I've based my argument on what I've seen in scores because it always looks like he's holding the Aussies back in ODIs ... and it's not like he's the one stable guy in the team like Dravid was for India in the past so his slower rate would be justified. That said, I could well be wrong but I've seen that there are others who hold the same opinion about him. Dropping him right now would be a little unfair perhaps, but wasn't there a time when Jacques should've been given a go instead of Katich?

Last edited:

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
aussie said:
well this is a bit irrelevant at this stage, but i'll have a go, how does this look for a possibe 2011 WC squad presuming that the WC is held in Australia/NZ around Jan/Feb 2011:

1.Ricky Ponting* - Captain (Tasmania) – Age: 36 in 2011 WC
2.Luke Ronchi+ - W/Keeper (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
3.Phil Jaques (New South Wales) – Age: 31 in 2011 WC
4.Michael Clarke (New South Wales) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
5.Andrew Symonds (Queensland) – Age: 35 in 2011 WC
6.Mark Cosgrove (South Australia) – Age: 26 in 2011 WC
7.Mike Hussey (Western Australia) – Age: 35 in 2011 WC
8.Shane Watson (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
9.Moises Henriques (New South Wales) – Age: 24 in 2011 WC
10.Cameron White (Victoria) – Age: 27 in 2011 WC
11.Daniel Cullen (South Australia) – Age: 26 in 2011 WC
12.Brett Lee (New South Wales) – Age: 34 in 2011 WC
13.Shaun Tait (South Australia) – Age: 28 in 2011 WC
14.Mitchell Johnson (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
15.Nathan Bracken (New South Wales) – Age: 33 in 2011 WC

others possibilites from Haddin, Hartley, Marsh, Cleary, Bird & D Hussey.
I hope you mean Travis BirT and yeah he would be my pick, along with Dave Hussey to move into the australian one day side. I think you will find that Haddin will get the gloves from Gilly after 2007.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Coach_Pearson said:
I hope you mean Travis BirT and yeah he would be my pick, along with Dave Hussey to move into the australian one day side. I think you will find that Haddin will get the gloves from Gilly after 2007.
He may do in the one day games, but it is an open field for the test team. Any keeper who has a decent season with the bat and doesn't have shockers with the gloves is going to put a good case forward. I'm not even sure Haddin is a given to replace Gilly in ODIs. If another keeper does exceptionally well in both forms this summer (other than Haddin) they are a big chance.

andyc

adharcric said:
What do you think of Cosgrove's chances of cracking into the XI? I'd say Clarke is the lowest in the pecking-order besides Katich.
I really think Cosgrove is ugly, but he seems like a good batsman. :laugh:
There's no way Clarke would be lowest in the pecking order after Katich. He's hardly done much wrong recently, and someone like Martyn would definitely be dropped before Clarke.

Mister Wright

andyc said:
There's no way Clarke would be lowest in the pecking order after Katich. He's hardly done much wrong recently, and someone like Martyn would definitely be dropped before Clarke.
I know I do give Clarke a lot of crap, but I do think he has deserved to keep his spot in the ODI side. However, he has been a bit of a floater and has been a bit inconsistent lately, and I thought in South Africa when the team needed a partnership when he came in he threw his wicket away. In no way am I saying he should be dropped yet, but his performances should be a little more scrutinised.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
He may do in the one day games, but it is an open field for the test team. Any keeper who has a decent season with the bat and doesn't have shockers with the gloves is going to put a good case forward. I'm not even sure Haddin is a given to replace Gilly in ODIs. If another keeper does exceptionally well in both forms this summer (other than Haddin) they are a big chance.
yea thats true but really its a lot og guess work as to who will take over from Gilly:

Haddin could grow from strenght to strenght in the next couple of years & become a competent keeper for Australia when Gilly goes, or he could just hold onto for a while maybe in the OD side & fade away to one of the younger blokes

Hartley or Ronchi in the next 2 to 3 years could have big seasons or a big season & push Haddin out of the running for a test spot, but if Haddin does improve they may have to wait a bit longer.

For me with both Ronchi & Hartley being a bit young i think if Haddin can step up his game into his mid 30's & prevent either Hartley/Ronchi (assuming they do well) from coming into the test side until their late 20s that could be good.

I would definetly give Warne a chance of playing and I would not give Henriques a chance he is too young and he gets smashed at grade level I think he averaged 40 with the ball this year. And he averaged about 30 with the bat.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
AussieDominance said:
I would definetly give Warne a chance of playing and I would not give Henriques a chance he is too young and he gets smashed at grade level I think he averaged 40 with the ball this year. And he averaged about 30 with the bat.

Warne has ruled out playing.

Henriques will get some games for NSW this year but not for Australia. His grade stats were 271 runs @ 38.71 and 11 wickets @ 42.45.

Last edited:
yeh my brother plays against him same age and he got him out for a duck (even though he never bowls) in the Watson Shield Final my brother plays for North Sydney

ash chaulk

International Captain
aussie said:
well this is a bit irrelevant at this stage, but i'll have a go, how does this look for a possibe 2011 WC squad presuming that the WC is held in Australia/NZ around Jan/Feb 2011:

1.Ricky Ponting* - Captain (Tasmania) – Age: 36 in 2011 WC
2.Luke Ronchi+ - W/Keeper (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
3.Phil Jaques (New South Wales) – Age: 31 in 2011 WC
4.Michael Clarke (New South Wales) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
5.Andrew Symonds (Queensland) – Age: 35 in 2011 WC
6.Mark Cosgrove (South Australia) – Age: 26 in 2011 WC
7.Mike Hussey (Western Australia) – Age: 35 in 2011 WC
8.Shane Watson (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
9.Moises Henriques (New South Wales) – Age: 24 in 2011 WC
10.Cameron White (Victoria) – Age: 27 in 2011 WC
11.Daniel Cullen (South Australia) – Age: 26 in 2011 WC
12.Brett Lee (New South Wales) – Age: 34 in 2011 WC
13.Shaun Tait (South Australia) – Age: 28 in 2011 WC
14.Mitchell Johnson (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
15.Nathan Bracken (New South Wales) – Age: 33 in 2011 WC

others possibilites from Haddin, Hartley, Marsh, Cleary, Bird & D Hussey.
cool team but i rekin there will be one or 2 unknowns atm to make it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This could be one of the most impressive records in cricket, if purely on the distance between 1st and 2nd.

World Cups - Most Consecutive Matches Without Defeat

18 Australia* (and still going)
9 West Indies
8 India
7 New Zealand
7 Pakistan

Interesting to see how far Aus can stretch their massive lead at the top in the WI.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Interesting to see how far Aus can stretch their massive lead at the top in the WI.
yea it will, if they win & go unbeaten again i'd say it will be a greater achievment than in 2003..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Because of how the tournament is structured next year, unlike 2003 in the group stages then they had a longer time to get accustomed to the conditions playing 6 matches, then in the super six stage they had fair challenges vs SRI & NZ while putting away KEN then they won the semi's & finals fairly convincingly.

Now next after the group stage where they would play the two minnows & South Africa they go straight into the Super eight where they will be the 8 strongest nations in the world cricket, then the semi's & Finals. So as you can see next year is going to be harder competition from their last group game vs South right through to the final & if they manage to go unbeaten next year, looking at the fact that they will be coming to the end of a fairly rough season with the Champions trophy, Ashes, VB series it will be much greater than 2003 for sure.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cameeel said:
We're not as good now
They aren't, lets see:

Lets say Warne wasn't banned this would have been Australia 2003 World Cup XI:

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Bevan
Symonds
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

Based on performances in the coming season this may be Australia's 2007 XI:

Jaques
Gilchrist
Ponting
Symonds
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Not much of a gap 2003 has a slight edge probably but looking at what other sides will take to the world cup if that poosible 2007 XI plays to potential Ricky Ponting definately will be lifting the world cup on April 28th...