• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Gillespie has to be in the WC squad.
Hell no.

Is only good at one discipline, and is not penetrative enough with the ball in ODI's.

From Aussie's list, definitely Tait.

Tait wins games through devastating spells, and in my view, is no more likely to get smacked around than guys who are currently in the team, like Clark, Bracken.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Is only good at one discipline, and is not penetrative enough with the ball in ODI's.

Tait wins games through devastating spells, and in my view, is no more likely to get smacked around than guys who are currently in the team, like Clark, Bracken.
Well yea Dizzy may not run through a side in ODI's. But really that has never been his role, well at least since Lee came into the team and established himself as a top ODI bowler. He always was the bloke to come on 1st change and provide good backup to Lee and McGrath, so if he can do that in the WC, added to his very handy lower-order batting capabilities, it will be hard to look beyond him.

The big plus Tait will have over both Dizzy & Clark is his ability to run through a side for sure, but with Lee already there and even though he has been the best ODI bowler over since 2004 for sure, he still has the knack of bowling trash and being smashed, so i dunno if the selectors would want to risk having them both.

mefly

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
dizzy is NOT a good batter, yeah he made 200 but what else has he got to prove? 1 fifty woopdy fuc*ing doo he only got it coz they were bowling in the right places to him he is a shiiit batter and thats it

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
mefly said:
dizzy is NOT a good batter, yeah he made 200 but what else has he got to prove? 1 fifty woopdy fuc*ing doo he only got it coz they were bowling in the right places to him he is a shiiit batter and thats it
If you want to find yourself banned, you're certainly going the right away about it with that sort of language.

mefly

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
James said:
If you want to find yourself banned, you're certainly going the right away about it with that sort of language.
sorry, ill try to cut down, thanx 4 the tip, i dont want to get banned because this is such a great site.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
mefly said:
so innings such as his 46 in Kolkatta 2001, 2 50s vs NZ & PAK in 2004, his superb night-watchman innings in chennai 2004 etc dont prove he's a good batter?8-)

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well this is a bit irrelevant at this stage, but i'll have a go, how does this look for a possibe 2011 WC squad presuming that the WC is held in Australia/NZ around Jan/Feb 2011:

1.Ricky Ponting* - Captain (Tasmania) – Age: 36 in 2011 WC
2.Luke Ronchi+ - W/Keeper (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
3.Phil Jaques (New South Wales) – Age: 31 in 2011 WC
4.Michael Clarke (New South Wales) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
5.Andrew Symonds (Queensland) – Age: 35 in 2011 WC
6.Mark Cosgrove (South Australia) – Age: 26 in 2011 WC
7.Mike Hussey (Western Australia) – Age: 35 in 2011 WC
8.Shane Watson (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
9.Moises Henriques (New South Wales) – Age: 24 in 2011 WC
10.Cameron White (Victoria) – Age: 27 in 2011 WC
11.Daniel Cullen (South Australia) – Age: 26 in 2011 WC
12.Brett Lee (New South Wales) – Age: 34 in 2011 WC
13.Shaun Tait (South Australia) – Age: 28 in 2011 WC
14.Mitchell Johnson (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
15.Nathan Bracken (New South Wales) – Age: 33 in 2011 WC

others possibilites from Haddin, Hartley, Marsh, Cleary, Bird & D Hussey.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i dare say, the battle to see who openes with Gilly in the WC is too close to call. Katich is the front runner obviously but he will know that any slip up come next season could see him lose his place to Jaques or Hayden.

adharcric

International Coach
aussie said:
i dare say, the battle to see who openes with Gilly in the WC is too close to call. Katich is the front runner obviously but he will know that any slip up come next season could see him lose his place to Jaques or Hayden.
Katich really isn't ODI-class as an opener. I haven't seen him bat, but from the scores he just doesn't look fluent enough and especially stands out in a lineup of fluent batsmen like Gilly, Punter and Symonds. Jacques is my pick. Cosgrove (and Martyn?) could also give Clarke some competition if the latter slips up a little.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
We'll see in 2011. Till then, India look better. Don't be so greedy man, Aussies have been the best for a while now.
11 superb years to be exact:cool:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Katich really isn't ODI-class as an opener. I haven't seen him bat, but from the scores he just doesn't look fluent enough and especially stands out in a lineup of fluent batsmen like Gilly, Punter and Symonds. Jacques is my pick. Cosgrove (and Martyn?) could also give Clarke some competition if the latter slips up a little.
He may not be class but this season he has done his job very well. I don't think its much of a problem to have a opener like him when you got 7 other batsmen who can lift the scoring at any time during the innings.

Once Katich keeps it up from the Champions trophy into the VB series he will definately go to the world cup. But as i just said if he doesn't Jaques to replace him right way.

adharcric

International Coach
aussie said:
He may not be class but this season he has done his job very well. I don't think its much of a problem to have a opener like him when you got 7 other batsmen who can lift the scoring at any time during the innings.

Once Katich keeps it up from the Champions trophy into the VB series he will definately go to the world cup. But as i just said if he doesn't Jaques to replace him right way.
Yeah he's definitely done a decent job thus far, but he just looks out of place to me in a lineup with Ponting, Symonds and Gilchrist. Jacques fits in more IMO. Just like Kaif is kind of out of place with the likes of Yuvraj, Tendulkar and Dhoni but Raina is not, you know?

What do you think of Cosgrove's chances of cracking into the XI? I'd say Clarke is the lowest in the pecking-order besides Katich.
I really think Cosgrove is ugly, but he seems like a good batsman. :laugh:

adharcric

International Coach
The Aussie XI seems mostly settled.

Gilchrist, Katich/Jacques, Ponting, Martyn, Symonds, Clarke, Hussey, Hogg, Lee, Bracken, McGrath

or if they go with 5 bowlers, which they really shouldn't ...
Gilchrist, Katich/Jacques, Ponting, Symonds, Clarke, Hussey, Hogg, Lee, Cullen, Bracken, McGrath

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
well this is a bit irrelevant at this stage, but i'll have a go, how does this look for a possibe 2011 WC squad presuming that the WC is held in Australia/NZ around Jan/Feb 2011:

1.Ricky Ponting* - Captain (Tasmania) – Age: 36 in 2011 WC
2.Luke Ronchi+ - W/Keeper (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
3.Phil Jaques (New South Wales) – Age: 31 in 2011 WC
4.Michael Clarke (New South Wales) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
5.Andrew Symonds (Queensland) – Age: 35 in 2011 WC
6.Mark Cosgrove (South Australia) – Age: 26 in 2011 WC
7.Mike Hussey (Western Australia) – Age: 35 in 2011 WC
8.Shane Watson (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
9.Moises Henriques (New South Wales) – Age: 24 in 2011 WC
10.Cameron White (Victoria) – Age: 27 in 2011 WC
11.Daniel Cullen (South Australia) – Age: 26 in 2011 WC
12.Brett Lee (New South Wales) – Age: 34 in 2011 WC
13.Shaun Tait (South Australia) – Age: 28 in 2011 WC
14.Mitchell Johnson (Queensland) – Age: 29 in 2011 WC
15.Nathan Bracken (New South Wales) – Age: 33 in 2011 WC

others possibilites from Haddin, Hartley, Marsh, Cleary, Bird & D Hussey.
That's not a bad call actually, but Ronchi isn't from Queensland. My biggest doubts would be on White (ability) Lee (whether he's body holds up at 34) Tait (whether he can consistently get on the field to be selected)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
That's not a bad call actually, but Ronchi isn't from Queensland. My biggest doubts would be on White (ability) Lee (whether he's body holds up at 34) Tait (whether he can consistently get on the field to be selected)
yea Ronchi is from WA made a mistake. On Lee he is a extremely fit & hopefully if the ICC look at the international schedule between bow & 2011 i would expect Lee to be bowling at 34 but not as fast of course. Tait looks like he will become Australia's version of Bond in the next couple of years but no doubt once fit he will be in the team. On White i am more concerned about his ability in the longer-form of the game, but OD cricket i think he would be safe.