• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Thread

Hoggy31

International Captain
There's no chance Henriques will go. And if Watson goes, I don't feel there's any need to pick Hopes.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hoggy31 said:
There's no chance Henriques will go. And if Watson goes, I don't feel there's any need to pick Hopes.
I wouldn't say no chance for Henriques. Remember there's a whole Australian domestic season between now and the world cup, and he is likely to be a regular member of the NSW side. If he had an excellent summer, given his ability, he could potentially make the world cup squad, as could a number of other fringe players.

I wouldn't say it's likely though.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
thats has unlikely has bangladesh winning the world cup..
I bet people said similar things about Sengal beating France in 2002, Sheffield winning the '98 Challenge Cup and Bangladesh beating Australia in the Natwest series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well after what happened it Johannesburg i hope we realise how important McGrath will be in the WC. Without him we have no reliable death bowler & no real go to bowler. The conditions in the caribbean are going to be pretty similar to Johannesburg, fairly small gorunds, flat pitches, no swing for the bowlers. Tait needs to be in this squad for dalm sure, he doesn't look like the type of bowler who would be easy to hit at the death due to his action so if our wonderful selectors know whats good for them Clark & lewis out of the team..

Australia's batting may be the strongest in the world & can destroy any attack but if our bowling doesn't come good other strong batting team can smoke us.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
I bet people said similar things about Sengal beating France in 2002, Sheffield winning the '98 Challenge Cup and Bangladesh beating Australia in the Natwest series.
Add South Africa chasing 435.

GO SCOTLAND!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mefly said:
wot about dan cullen?
If you're going to select Dan Cullen who isn't that great with the bat, then you may as well pick MacGill who is Australia's best One Day domestic bowler.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
DanielFullard said:
What do people reckon of McGraths chances of making the World cup side?
I'd call it 90%. Always an outside chance of injury, but I doubt his wife's illness will still be keeping him from the team in 12 months time, and I also doubt he will retire.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
If you're going to select Dan Cullen who isn't that great with the bat, then you may as well pick MacGill who is Australia's best One Day domestic bowler.
yep you might as well, but most likely neither would get picked anyway, but still good options to have.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
yep you might as well, but most likely neither would get picked anyway, but still good options to have.
MacGill should be picked after the debacle last Sunday. People say his batting and fielding is a concern in ODIs, but I ask you this - how often does the number 11 bat for Australia when he is really needed to win a game? I can think of once this summer and that was two games ago...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
MacGill should be picked after the debacle last Sunday. People say his batting and fielding is a concern in ODIs, but I ask you this - how often does the number 11 bat for Australia when he is really needed to win a game? I can think of once this summer and that was two games ago...
yea after sunday's game now i would agree. But the thing againts him now is that their is still a possibility that Warne could come out of retirement.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
yea after sunday's game now i would agree. But the thing againts him now is that their is still a possibility that Warne could come out of retirement.
You're dreaming if you think Warne will return. He has already ruled it out.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
ha, nah mate even though he has ruled it out, the overall possibilty of him making a last minute return cant be ruled out totally just as yet..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Where did he rule it out? I've seen him say several times precisely the opposite... that is, "I'm not ruling it out".

I think what he wants is a selection guarantee for the World Cup. It would be silly for Warne to come out of retirement for the 2007 VB Series, play a few games and then miss the WC in favour of Hogg.

Given Warne's love for the big occasion and the media spectacle, I wouldn't be especially surprised if he did come out of retirement. I wouldn't bet on it happening either, but I certainly wouldn't say there's 0 chance.