• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

I sense that Show is going to eventually replace Ussie.

Despite two 50's he has never looked at ease at crease in this series.

Also, he's been outscored by Cummins and most likely Paine (if Oz didn't declare.)

Show just brings so much more, a better player of spin, a better fielder, and another bowling option.

Sorry for writing this on your birthday, UK.
Do you really believe Show has the temperament to play the situation or knuckle down if need be?....he really only has one gear when he plays for Australia

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do you really believe Show has the temperament to play the situation or knuckle down if need be?....he really only has one gear when he plays for Australia
You obviously haven't followed him closely over the last year or so both in the test side and the shield. He is most willing to knuckle down and play sensibly in the whites.

stephen

More importantly, they’ll all want to play the Home New Years year too.
I don't know on what planet the new years test is as important as the boxing day test.

But the point remains no player ever wants to sit out of any test. If they do then they've lost their passion for the game and it's time to retire.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The entire attack is from nsw so I’d say on this planet it would be pretty ****ing important to them.

stephen

The entire attack is from nsw so I’d say on this planet it would be pretty ****ing important to them.
Yeah but it's not the boxing day test, which is the biggest sporting spectacle in the country. Even my non-cricketing friends want to go to a boxing day test.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unfortunately I’ll be trekking all over Sydney taming Burgeinho to Green Shield on the first two days. Day three will be reserved for Mrs Burgey and her mum-in-Law (her late father kindly bequeathed me his gold membership). I may get to day four and five, but if it’s hot I’ll just go to the pool at the Stadium gym then wander across and sit in the sports bar sucking on prawns, oysters and champagne.

Tbh won’t GAF who’s playing by that time.

stephen

Unfortunately I’ll be trekking all over Sydney taming Burgeinho to Green Shield on the first two days. Day three will be reserved for Mrs Burgey and her mum-in-Law (her late father kindly bequeathed me his gold membership). I may get to day four and five, but if it’s hot I’ll just go to the pool at the Stadium gym then wander across and sit in the sports bar sucking on prawns, oysters and champagne.

Tbh won’t GAF who’s playing by that time.
Just think, if you were in Brisbane you could be in the pool watching the cricket at the ground.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Reckon Bancroft is on thin ice with regards to selection for the South African tour. That Boxing Day innings was damning for him in multiple ways; on a bland, lifeless pitch he was four times looked hopelessly inept against the short ball - four times he was hit on the gloves playing no sort of shot. As has been noted by some over the past few Tests, there's also his technical issues of getting stuck on the crease to good length balls and his bat coming across like a windshield wiper when playing defensively.

Against a very strong South African pace attack on pitches that will invariably be more lively and seam-friendly than the Test pitches he's played on so far, would the selectors be prepared to have faith in him as an opener there? Unless he improves over the rest of the series, doubt it.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It's difficult because I'm not sure what the options are. Do we go back to Renshaw who was in horrific FC form pre-series?

I guess the other option is to move Uzzie to open and have Smith at 3. Just seems a bit more vulnerable that way though, esp with MMarsh at 6.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Today definitely is an important day in the career of Bancroft and it probably is for Khawaja too.

Shaun Marsh is suddenly our 3rd most safe batsman, thats crazy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
^^ Both failed. Bancroft looked decent today, obviously needs more runs though.

Talking about the SA tour, Joe Burns should be in the selectors thoughts as he is in form and can bat anywhere in the 6 (I think he can do a Marto and perform at 6 or 4).