• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

Gob

International Coach
Darsh will be 34 in July. Sure use him for specific things like the India tour but there's no future there beyond a couple of seasons before he Voges once his eye goes. Challenge Uzi to get better vs spin and if he doesn't then look at someone else. Burns, KPat or someone else could fill a middle order role if Uzi can't secure a full time spot.
He secured it in Adelaide. Usman is an absolute jet in non subcontinent conditions. From his POV he could in fact claim he is hard done by be course even in SL he only badly failed in an one game while Warner's spot is never questioned even with extended failures. They made a horses for courses selection and it worked and that consistency should be continued.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also smarsh got dropped after a 160 or whatever so it's not like a high score next test cements his spot

I know a lot of it was based on how bad he looked against spin more so than hard facts but damn they only gave Uzi 2 tests in SL. Such a small sample size to label someone as 'not to play in the SC'

Compton

International Debutant
Also smarsh got dropped after a 160 or whatever so it's not like a high score next test cements his spot

I know a lot of it was based on how bad he looked against spin more so than hard facts but damn they only gave Uzi 2 tests in SL. Such a small sample size to label someone as 'not to play in the SC'
Nah Khawaja being **** against spin is established.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Falling to Swann in all bar one dismissal in 2013 Ashes too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Warner has 131 @ 21.83
Darsh has 146 @ 24.33
Maxwell 106 @ 53

After 3 tests in India. Argue conditions all you want but none of those should be picked before Uzi next summer. Obviously Warner will be picked because he's the undroppable VC. I could see them leaving Uzi out due to Marsh love tbh. Also could see them try to find a reason to drop Renshaw to squeeze Uzi in. Uzi probably has the inside running unless Darsh does something big.
You're comparing these records to someone who wasn't included in this series because he wasn't deemed to be in the best XI though. Marsh has had a good series and made meaningful contributions in two different tests, without which Australia would have been in a pretty bad spot. He's been the third best batsman in the side, and really not too far behind second, which is Renshaw. 0 chance of Renshaw being dropped to me.

You might be right that Khawaja will come back in automatically for the home summer, and I think it's true that Khawaja is first XI at home and not first XI in India, but I think he'll need to make some runs beforehand to reclaim his place over Marsh as the incumbent. I simply don't see the selectors picking Marsh, who has a good record over the last 3 or so years, for a huge series in India, him doing well, and then dropping him for Khawaja because he's believed to be worse in home conditions. Keep in mind that Marsh missed out in the home summer largely due to injury. He was picked for the first test of the summer, did fine and then got injured. When he was fit in India he was picked again, and once again has done well. Khawaja on the other hand was omitted.

Above all I don't think the selectors and team will be happy with the idea of picking different people for different countries consistently. Maybe for one opposition or one surface, like adding a second spinner, but not just "we're back at home now so Khawaja comes back in". I think they'll need some sort of form-based reasoning to change the team, especially if that team has been winning.

TheJediBrah

You're comparing these records to someone who wasn't included in this series because he wasn't deemed to be in the best XI though. Marsh has had a good series and made meaningful contributions in two different tests, without which Australia would have been in a pretty bad spot. He's been the third best batsman in the side, and really not too far behind second, which is Renshaw. 0 chance of Renshaw being dropped to me.

You might be right that Khawaja will come back in automatically for the home summer, and I think it's true that Khawaja is first XI at home and not first XI in India, but I think he'll need to make some runs beforehand to reclaim his place over Marsh as the incumbent. I simply don't see the selectors picking Marsh, who has a good record over the last 3 or so years, for a huge series in India, him doing well, and then dropping him for Khawaja because he's believed to be worse in home conditions. Keep in mind that Marsh missed out in the home summer largely due to injury. He was picked for the first test of the summer, did fine and then got injured. When he was fit in India he was picked again, and once again has done well. Khawaja on the other hand was omitted.

Above all I don't think the selectors and team will be happy with the idea of picking different people for different countries consistently. Maybe for one opposition or one surface, like adding a second spinner, but not just "we're back at home now so Khawaja comes back in". I think they'll need some sort of form-based reasoning to change the team, especially if that team has been winning.
Why though? I'm not saying you're wrong, but why can't that culture change? Maybe horses for courses batsmen will be more acceptable going forward,

Burgey

Some players excel in these bizarre conditions which get called cricket pitches, but for the most part you back the blokes who do best in real conditions where spinners don't open the bowling.

Shady Slim

International Coach
smith's realisation that spin bowling in australia isn't purely a defensive thing has meant well for lyon

but i don't think smith has fully grasped o'leefe isn't purely a defensive thing yet

Spark

Global Moderator
If he plays, Lyon will be very useful in the Ashes if only for the reason that he'll be good for a few dismissals of a set Cook on the cut as a bare minimum.

Shady Slim

International Coach
tbf cook's also prone to being strangled down leg by starc every filthy hip loosener starc bowls unless cook's sorted it out

Spark

Global Moderator
tbf cook's also prone to being strangled down leg by starc every filthy hip loosener starc bowls unless cook's sorted it out
I haven't watched Cook bat in a while tbh, but that tends to happen when he's having overbalancing problems, not all the time.

Compton

International Debutant
Why is 'horses for courses' so controversial for batsmen when it's all but certain to happen for bowlers and no one questions it.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Not in Australia he's not.
250 FC poles at <25 suggest otherwise.

It's weird, I admit, but the bloke inexplicably gets people out. They still count as wickets, even if nobody quite knows why batsmen insist on playing for turn and being pinged LBW by straight balls (let alone how they always contrive to bottom edge cut shots).

Compton

International Debutant
Not that they should base the decision on it, but Starc-Cummins-O'Keefe is a cracking 8-10.

adub

International Captain
Not that they should base the decision on it, but Starc-Cummins-O'Keefe is a cracking 8-10.
Starc, Pattinson, Cummins, O'Keefe is a cracking 8-11

(But Haze better be injured if it ever happens or some **** on the selection panel is gonna die...)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Starc, Pattinson, Cummins, O'Keefe is a cracking 8-11

(But Haze better be injured if it ever happens or some **** on the selection panel is gonna die...)
Starc, Pattinson, Cummins, O'Keefe, Wade +

for 7-11