• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2021-2

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Well, I usually start one of these.

I’d go:

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Renshaw
Green
Inglis
Cummins
Lyon
Hazelwood
Richardson

Pukovski to replace Usman at some stage. Starc and Abbott in the wings. Kurt Patterson too.

Shady Slim

International Coach
my team, which is the correct team but is already precluded by way of who's in the squad

warner
usman
marnus
smith
henriques
green
inglis
bowlers

Gob

International Coach
Genuinely undecided on Inglis and Carey. I like them both and Carey has more international exposure but Inglis is four years younger. Regardless of who get picked, they will enormously strengthen the low order as opposed to Paine

Gob

International Coach
It's also important that they make these decisions with the bigger picture in mind (wtc). Aust has three tours to the subcontinent over the next two years so keeping up to the stumps going to be very important. As is spin bowling backups

Gob

International Coach
Yeah they are both very good. Interesting to see if Renshaw continues to bat in the middle.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Gaz getting major nosebleeds up at 9

I suspect the team will look like

Warner
Harris
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey (although I wouldn't mind Inglis either)
Cummins (c)
Richardson (probably would start off with him at this stage)
Hazlewood
Lyon

Starc 12th, clearly still ahead of other available seam options. All in all I don't actually hate it, sceptical about Harris still but it was pretty clear the selectors were always going to back him

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Starc took 11 wickets @ 40 against India

He’s very fortunate that people seem to have forgotten how badly he bowled

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Starc took 11 wickets @ 40 against India

He’s very fortunate that people seem to have forgotten how badly he bowled
Depends on what you mean by people, the general public certainly think he's bowled crap.

But yeah it's difficult to see the selectors go for Richardson over Starc for Test 1. Could change if Starc bowls pies in the warm-up, but Starc has enough of a POD and record is good enough that it would take a ballsy selector to drop him given how long it's been since the last Test.

Gob

International Coach
He shouldn't have played the last test. Atleast he has gone back to the older action

Gob

International Coach
Most likely first test line up is

Warner
Harris
Labuschange
Smith
Khawaja
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starch
Lyon
Haze

And it's not terrible

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Depends on what you mean by people, the general public certainly think he's bowled crap.

But yeah it's difficult to see the selectors go for Richardson over Starc for Test 1. Could change if Starc bowls pies in the warm-up, but Starc has enough of a POD and record is good enough that it would take a ballsy selector to drop him given how long it's been since the last Test.
It really wouldn't be ballsy at all. Records are in the past, now is what matters, or the only way guys would drop out of the team is if they retire. There's a frustrating inability to admit the obvious. Just because somebody has bene good in the past doesn't mean they deserve to stay in the team if there is someone better now. Incumbency is taken too far as a concept.