• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
In a strange year, we're closing in on the test summer:

v. Afghanistan 21-25 Nov (Perth)

v. India 3-7 Dec (Bris)

v. India 11-15 Dec (Adel)

v. India 26-30 Dec (Melb)

v. India 3-7 Jan (Syd)

Last edited by a moderator:

Red

What I'd like to see:

D.Warner
K.Patterson
M.Labuschagne
S.Smith
T.Head
C.Green
T.Paine + *
P.Cummins
M.Starc/J.Pattinson
J.Hazelwood
N.Lyon

I'd like to see us blood a young guy with talent while we've still got a few senior guys in the XI. I can't see much up-side to keeping Wade in the XI any more. Green looks likely, and he can play as a bat only until he's ready to bowl again.

I like Joe Burns but I'd like to see KPat given a crack at being Warner's opening partner. Significantly younger, far more to offer. I know he's not an opener, but he bats 3 for state and over the years we've seen Langer and Katich both become successful openers from middle order slots.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will be fun to see how Afghanistan go. Hopefully it won't be a massacre.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That would be a shame. Thought the Aussie public would love to see some of the Big Bash stars like Rashid, Mujeeb etc.

Red

Reckon Cameron Green is that close to selection already?
Probably not but I can't see the point in playing Wade any more. Good time to blood a youngster against Afghanistan.

More conventionally you could keep Burns opening and bring KPat in at 6 to replace Wade.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Feel like ide rather see kpat or maddison replace wade tbf. Give green a shield season or 2 to really hone his craft and spend time playing as a genuine allrounder.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Travis Head is not bad. You may not want to be that keen to replace him IMO. And I am not saying this just to trigger TJB. :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Wade's 554 @ 37 in his latest iteration isn't too bad tbf. I wouldn't be binning him for something shinier just because it's been a while since we've had Test cricket and we need something to discuss from a selection POV.

Nothing broken with the current line-up*; why try to fix it?

*That being said I genuinely don't recall who's been opening with Warner this week so that may be broken but I just haven't realised it yet.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'd be worried we'd burn through our limited batting options if we threw out Wade without a reason. Lets see how Green settles into his batting this season. We're lucky to have a fairly settled test middle order. The looming problems being the openers with Maddinson an alternative. Can't be too snobby about Khawaja either.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Wade's 554 @ 37 in his latest iteration isn't too bad tbf. I wouldn't be binning him for something shinier just because it's been a while since we've had Test cricket and we need something to discuss from a selection POV.
Problem I see with Wade (and perhaps Head to a lesser extent although my recollection is already hazy) is that he was very hit-and-miss. From memory, he seemed good for 0(3), or a gritty 20(140, if Wager was bowling), but not really a 50+ score except on the rare occasion

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Don't get me wrong I don't think he's an exceptional Test batsman or anything, but he seems to be doing that thing where grit + experience + exceptional form leads to performing sufficiently far above expectations that he's passing as the Test middle order bat I hoped he was going to be back in 2011.

Given the era of Australian batting we're in, averaging 37 and making a ton in England is (imo) enough to give you a bit of rope for the inevitable axing to be form-related rather than shiny thing-related. Especially if the shiny thing is a 21 year old all-rounder with a crocked back or a 22-year old unproven prodigy unfortunately beset by concussion issues.

I wouldn't exactly be mourning the decision if KPat or Maddinson got picked on the basis of big early Shield runs or anything, but I think it'd be a bit rough to bin someone who hasn't done a whole lot wrong other than be the last middle order bat picked in an otherwise stable line-up meaning that he's the easiest target when some hack runs a selection options listicle to boost clicks on their ****ty web column.

the big bambino

International Captain
Wade scored 2 tons in England and his consistency in the shield in bowler friendly conditions shows how keen he is to make the most of whatever time he has left in rep cricket. He's proven he can score hard runs and you don't want to drop him for a bloke who probably should be introduced into international cricket through the LOI team.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be worried we'd burn through our limited batting options if we threw out Wade without a reason. Lets see how Green settles into his batting this season. We're lucky to have a fairly settled test middle order. The looming problems being the openers with Maddinson an alternative. Can't be too snobby about Khawaja either.
Khawaja should never play again for Australia in any format