• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both of Wade's centuries in the Ashes were a wee bit downhill skiish, tbf.

His ton in the first test was off the back of Smith flogging the bowling around the park and the one in the last came when the jig was up and the defeat was all but locked in.

He scored the runs rather than anyone else, but neither really changed either games' outcomes and he did sweet Fanny Adams for the rest of the series.
England were also down a bowler (or 2?) and he feasted on a lot of part-time filth from Moeen, Root and Denly

Burgey

Not sure how many Shield games are slated ahead of the home tests, so there may not be many opportunities for those outside the side to stake a claim.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Ever since Gilchrist retired I wished Australia played a super aggressive batting allrounder at 7, which would allow them to play freely like Gilly did. This would mean someone like Marsh or Maxwell would not have the same pressure to hold a batting spot and they could turn a match in a session.

Of course this means we'd need a WK that could hold a number 6 spot, which we don't really have (Wade?)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ever since Gilchrist retired I wished Australia played a super aggressive batting allrounder at 7, which would allow them to play freely like Gilly did. This would mean someone like Marsh or Maxwell would not have the same pressure to hold a batting spot and they could turn a match in a session.

Of course this means we'd need a WK that could hold a number 6 spot, which we don't really have (Wade?)
Surely you jest.

TheJediBrah

Haddin could have batted 6

Maxwell could easily bat 5 or 6 in the Test side though, judging by his Shield record

Burgey

If Haddin or Wade-level blokes are batting six & seven, you really need a top five consistently laying good platforms. The Australian side of the past 5-8 years or so has been so prone to collapses that all rounders averaging in the low-mid 30s at six and seven just isn't a luxury the team can afford.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Australia doesn't need fifth bowlers most of the time. Labuschange has shown himself to be a decent option for a few overs if we need him to.

Australian teams are always stronger when we pick the best 6 batsmen in the top 6, a good keeper who isn't a crap batsman at 7, and our four best bowlers. It always seems to be that our tailenders can bat a bit so we never have three #11s, and there are usually one or two guys in the top 6 who can send down a few overs if needed.

An all-rounder who can average 35ish with the bat and 30ish with the ball is harder to find that you'd think. Watto was a bit underrated in hindsight.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia's current team only really need to consider an allrounder if were touring the subcontinent and we're playing 2 spinners, and realistically marnus is probably as good as any other shield quality spinner running around atm outside of Swepson in helpful conditions.

All pointless if the allrounder makes the side as a batsman but we don't have a need for an allrounder at the current point.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has the boat permanently sailed on Finch as a test option?

FC record not that flash, but he does look (albeit in a different format) a cut above most of the other options not called Smith, Warner or Labuschagne who've been tried recently.

Opener (where I believe he was trialled in the senior format previously) maybe not the go, but I'd prefer to see him coming in at #5 than any of the Heads or Wades of the world.

the big bambino

International Captain

FC record not that flash, but he does look (albeit in a different format) a cut above most of the other options not called Smith, Warner or Labuschagne who've been tried recently.

Opener (where I believe he was trialled in the senior format previously) maybe not the go, but I'd prefer to see him coming in at #5 than any of the Heads or Wades of the world.
Most likely, but given the flakiness of our batting and selections as well as the team's predilection for calamity, he should retain some optimism. He can only justify a spot in the middle order as you say. His test selection was in a position against all the evidence where he's scored his runs in the longer format. I wouldn't have him ahead of Head but could pressure Wade. Plus he can bowl some left arm filth too.

stephen

Head, despite his obvious technical flaws is still averaging in the 40s. Madness to drop him.

TheJediBrah

would also much rather see Finch ahead of Wade or Head. Wade deserves more of a run for now though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

His First Class record is a lot better when he doesn't open, too. Andrew McDonald famously pretty much refused national orders to bat him there after he'd been picked to open in Test cricket, correctly pointing out that opening for Victoria got him dropped from the Shield team and his much better season at five was a part of what got him in the Test frame.

I'd definitely have Head and Patto ahead of him as options, and a fully fit Green may block his path too, but if he scored some Shield runs and those blokes were struggling I'd absolutely consider him at 5.

Burgey

yeah he should never have opened, especially over here. Would not have had a drama with him at 5 or 6 in that series v India. Think he might have done decently tbh

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah always was really confused with the call to move Khawaja back down to 3 and keep finch opening in that India series. Khawaja proved once again that he's at his best opening in the uae and we slot him down from opening Instead of finch, who bats in the middle order domestically. Finch was decent in the UAE but if we have to move an opener to facilitate Harris finch seems like the better candidate. Was that particular decision ever explained?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeah always was really confused with the call to move Khawaja back down to 3 and keep finch opening in that India series. Khawaja proved once again that he's at his best opening in the uae and we slot him down from opening Instead of finch, who bats in the middle order domestically. Finch was decent in the UAE but if we have to move an opener to facilitate Harris finch seems like the better candidate. Was that particular decision ever explained?
Correct, it was weird.

That line up during that time could've been:

Harris
Khawaja
S.Marsh
Head
Finch

And they would've been batting in the same slots they do domestically, and Khawaja could've opened where he succeeds most in tests.

Starfighter

Langer galaxy brain. Finch opens in ODIs, so therefore he can do it in tests even though he scores his FC runs at 5, because ODIs are somehow more relevant.

stephen

Langer said in "The Test" that Finch's only place in the team was as opener. Which I think is nonsense but that was the thinking.

TheJediBrah

Correct, it was weird.

That line up during that time could've been:

Harris
Khawaja
S.Marsh
Head
Finch

And they would've been batting in the same slots they do domestically, and Khawaja could've opened where he succeeds most in tests.
oof that's still a pretty terrible batting line-up