• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wade Vs Head is a tough one. Wade obviously comes across as a **** bloke but as a player, he has done everything the team management asked of him. They don't have to play him as a middle order batsman but surely he still is good enough to be the second keeper on the squad? Head is definitely the one with a higher ceiling but right now, I still back Wade to be able to get a start more than Head. Wade seems to give it away though and it could be a problem with his mental set up, which is where everyone starts with the psycho-analyzing of his sledging and posturing etc. I dont think its particularly fruitful as we do not know the man, but I suppose it is fair enough to conclude it could be a recurring issue or theme with the guy.

TL;DR - Wade has his issues but he also is more likely to get to 40 than Head right now. The selectors are in a no-win situation but I would have kept Wade as the back up keeper and had Carey play more Shield to ensure he has some long format games mileage.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Wade Vs Head is a tough one. Wade obviously comes across as a **** bloke but as a player, he has done everything the team management asked of him. They don't have to play him as a middle order batsman but surely he still is good enough to be the second keeper on the squad? Head is definitely the one with a higher ceiling but right now, I still back Wade to be able to get a start more than Head. Wade seems to give it away though and it could be a problem with his mental set up, which is where everyone starts with the psycho-analyzing of his sledging and posturing etc. I dont think its particularly fruitful as we do not know the man, but I suppose it is fair enough to conclude it could be a recurring issue or theme with the guy.

TL;DR - Wade has his issues but he also is more likely to get to 40 than Head right now. The selectors are in a no-win situation but I would have kept Wade as the back up keeper and had Carey play more Shield to ensure he has some long format games mileage.
Agree with this, however for the life of me I haven't been able to figure out this higher calling thing for Head or where it come, most likely someone (G.Chappell) from SACA was like, hey look... that there's our next Australian captain right there and the media is running with it ever since.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with this, however for the life of me I haven't been able to figure out this higher calling thing for Head or where it come, most likely someone (G.Chappell) from SACA was like, hey look... that there's our next Australian captain right there and the media is running with it ever since.
And a couple on CW have been running with it ad nauseam with their Head > Wade posts.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally, I think he has that extra bit of time to respond to the ball which is something you cannot always coach. His real issue, more than any technical deficiency, seems to be about carrying on past 20s or 30s and the inherent risk he seems to bring in with his run scoring options outside off. Both of those can be overcome, esp. in test matches where scoring rate is not always THAT important. Which is why I feel a county stint will be the best thing for him, for now. Even a 2nd Div one. Just playing with the responsibility and expectation of being the main batsman day in and day out and being basically expected to score big runs every time can mentally help such batsmen take the next step. It worked for Zak and Ishant for India (though in their case, it was their bowling) but Dravid also said his game went up a notch after his stint with Kent. No reason why it can't break open the limitations for Head as a long form batsman.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Don't know, ECB's been wanting to reduce the FC season for a long time and it's an easy way to do it.
Lol, that sucks for overseas pros. One reason it was considered so important to do a county stint is the fact that you play a LOT of games, and consistently (game a week, I think) and so your body and mind both adapt to that challenge and it helps when you come back to the international circuit.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol, that sucks for overseas pros. One reason it was considered so important to do a county stint is the fact that you play a LOT of games, and consistently (game a week, I think) and so your body and mind both adapt to that challenge and it helps when you come back to the international circuit.
The ECB only cares about the £ signs spinning in front of their eyes, so I don't think the good that it does foreign cricketers will be much of a consideration.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if the selectors dropped Wade because it was a coin flip between him and Head and they'd prefer Wade in the T20 setup at the moment.

There's still no logic to leaving Khawaja, Maddinson and Bird at home when you're taking Harris, Head and Steketee, but there might be a silver lining to Wade going on the other plane.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's still no logic to leaving Khawaja, Maddinson and Bird at home
Unfortunately, Pant and the rest of the Indian team have set up permanent residence inside the heads of these three players, even though only Khawaja has ever played against them. Such is the power and the reach of this current Indian set up.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Unfortunately, Pant and the rest of the Indian team have set up permanent residence inside the heads of these three players, even though only Khawaja has ever played against them. Such is the power and the reach of this current Indian set up.
You seem to want to dream of every Australian cricketer without Pant, but not everybody does. :p