• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Gillespie is a decent shout but I don't think Australia needs another coach who was a part of a great team anytime soon, such individuals come with their set of baggage and rigid mentality that can be pretty hard to shake off.

If age wasn't a deterrent, I would think someone like Greg Shipperd is the kind of coach this team needs. Someone who isn't dying to be in front of the media all the time, but trying to groom players in non-toxic team atmosphere.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Gillespie is a decent shout but I don't think Australia needs another coach who was a part of a great team anytime soon, such individuals come with their set of baggage and rigid mentality that can be pretty hard to shake off.

If age wasn't a deterrent, I would think someone like Greg Shipperd is the kind of coach this team needs. Someone who isn't dying to be in front of the media all the time, but trying to groom players in non-toxic team atmosphere.
Dizzy would be a breath of fresh air. Complete non-douche who has the right character to work with different personalities.

Langer will continue to be divisive and we'll see players who could potentially make the team better (Khawaja, Maxwell, etc) continually overlooked because they dont fit Langer's framework of what someone in the baggy green should be.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Dizzy would be a breath of fresh air. Complete non-douche who has the right character to work with different personalities.

Langer will continue to be divisive and we'll see players who could potentially make the team better (Khawaja, Maxwell, etc) continually overlooked because they dont fit Langer's framework of what someone in the baggy green should be.
Anyone would be an improvement over Langer, but unfortunately under the current administration can't see him going anywhere until the 2023 World Cup.

The fact that Hohns pretty shamelessly said, Paine's leadership wasn't even up for a debate during selection, despite him being the only Australian captain to lose a home test series to an Asian side twice made that crystal clear to me.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is wild speculation with no basis in reality

Ponting would be a perfect coach

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
This is wild speculation with no basis in reality

Ponting would be a perfect coach
Based on his ongoing rant about Pujara's batting tells you otherwise. It was a perfect display of him as a great attacking player not being able to get his head around a mould of play that he doesn't relate with, that's not a great trait for a coach to have.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Based on his ongoing rant about Pujara's batting tells you otherwise. It was a perfect display of him as a great attacking player not being able to get his head around a mould of play that he doesn't relate with, that's not a great trait for a coach to have.
Ponting has covered himself in glory any time he has coached though. I think he'd be pretty good at it, Pujara comments notwithstanding.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Ponting has covered himself in glory any time he has coached though. I think he'd be pretty good at it, Pujara comments notwithstanding.
TBF, all his coaching glory has come with IPL teams which I don't think is a great yardstick to judge an international coach by.

From what I know there is a platoon of coaching, scouting staff and $$$'s that goes into making a successful IPL team.

If he has passion for coaching Australia, he can pick a domestic team and work for a season or two with them, like Lehmann did with QLD.

stephen

I think Ponting has enough respect in the Australian hierarchy to get whatever job he likes when he asks for it.

He already was assistant coach in the world cup.

TheJediBrah

Ponting would have had the job served to him on a platter years ago if he had any interest. He's not interested in the time and travelling commitment. Just listening to him commentate shows how much better his cricket brain is than the likes of Langer and Lehmann.

TheJediBrah

Very interesting article on news.co.au re. Mitchell Starc and the rotation policy

following on from how his bowling declined in the last couple of Tests this summer they dug up his career average for each Test in a series
Test 1: 24.04 (sr 44.1)
Test 2: 24.75 (sr 44.3)
Test 3: 31.67 (sr 55.7)
Test 4: 36.94 (sr 60.3)
Test 5: 52.66 (sr 101)

These stats would tend to indicate that he drops off dramatically when fatigued toward the end of a series, which is perfectly logical. Basically advocating the rotation policy for bowlers. Hard to really argue with those stats.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Very interesting article on news.co.au re. Mitchell Starc and the rotation policy

following on from how his bowling declined in the last couple of Tests this summer they dug up his career average for each Test in a series
Test 1: 24.04 (sr 44.1)
Test 2: 24.75 (sr 44.3)
Test 3: 31.67 (sr 55.7)
Test 4: 36.94 (sr 60.3)
Test 5: 52.66 (sr 101)

These stats would tend to indicate that he drops off dramatically when fatigued toward the end of a series, which is perfectly logical. Basically advocating the rotation policy for bowlers. Hard to really argue with those stats.
I do wonder how much of this is just that Australia tend to play shorter series against the **** teams. Stats for the second Test will include games against Sri Lanka and West Indies but the fourth Test will just be against England/India/SA.

TheJediBrah

I do wonder how much of this is just that Australia tend to play shorter series against the **** teams. Stats for the second Test will include games against Sri Lanka and West Indies but the fourth Test will just be against England/India/SA.
Yeah there's a few factors that could be clouding things. Also think the 4th and 5th test would probably be pretty small samples. It still looks pretty definitive though. Averaging 50+ and striking at over 100 in 5th tests is very bad compared to his career, and they can't all be explained away.
I'm not decided on whether I'd back the rotation policy as a general idea but after this summer's Tests in regard to Starc's performances specifically I wouldn't rule it out. It's genuinely contributed to losing the series.

Burgey

He's usually on the piss by the 5th test - it's only Ashes series which have them, and the lads generally have the Ashes secured by then and spend most of the lead up partying. It's how the Poms manage to sometimes jag the odd win.

stephen

So Smith has come out and said that Langer has barely coached him at all during his purple patch. So the biggest success story in Australian cricket has little to do with the coach. The evidence is growing that Langer is not the right coach for a national side.