• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Sure but Phillipe is a poor keeper even in T20s. He'd have to have an insane improvement over the next few years to be a viable Test keeper.
He is 22-23 so his keeping can be improved from here, however batting ability is what's eventually going to tilt the balance in favor of any guy, wanting to be a long term keeper for Australia.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steketee is like Joe Mennie without the couple of seasons of huge numbers of first class wickets.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
lol being gluttonous

How exactly are CA supposed to schedule both the international and domestic scene if not during the peak summer months?
Maybe by cutting down on some of the meaningless bilateral ODI and T20 series that nobody cares about and making a viable window for BBL, now that would be a start.

CA obviously has no problems stopping Sheild cricket and List - A tournament in the middle of the season, so they can follow other cricket boards in doing the same during the time when conduct their marque event.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
its actually extremely easy as long as you're not waiting around for 2 good games in the shield to make decisions for you
Yeah, the idea that they don't know who to call up because no-one has played any Shield games for a month says more about the horrible reactionary selection policy than it does about the scheduling.

It definitely is good to have players in red ball mode when they get called up to play Test cricket, but not so the selectors know who to pick.
oh yeah i totally agree with the above, what i was getting at was PEWS’s point in that second para about it being better to have guys in long mode, and you don’t know how quickly guys can adapt from t20 mode in to their long mode until you try it - though you would hope they are all adaptable given they’re pro athletes

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
On a side note I think Starc is only in the red ball team, because Australia has a drought of good left arm fast bowlers.

In fact don't think any left arm quick is actively a part of any Sheild team at the moment, which is a shame as left arm fast bowling has been a major aspect of Australian cricket over the last decade.

Starfighter

On a side note I think Starc is only in the red ball team, because Australia has a drought of good left arm fast bowlers.

In fact don't think any left arm quick is actively a part of any Sheild team at the moment, which is a shame as left arm fast bowling has been a major aspect of Australian cricket over the last decade.
You shouldn't be picking someone just because they're a lefty though.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe by cutting down on some of the meaningless bilateral ODI and T20 series that nobody cares about and making a viable window for BBL, now that would be a start.

CA obviously has no problems stopping Sheild cricket and List - A tournament in the middle of the season, so they can follow other cricket boards in doing the same during the time when conduct their marque event.
Those International series make plenty of money and plenty of eyeballs. Hard to compare that with the shield and List A tournaments

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
You shouldn't be picking someone just because they're a lefty though.
What I'm saying is that all the lefties seem to have just gone, their different angle adds a different dimension to the attack, Johnson, Starc and even Faulkner have been vital cogs in some of Australia's biggest wins in the last decade across formats.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Those International series make plenty of money and plenty of eyeballs. Hard to compare that with the shield and List A tournaments
Players for those international series come from these shield and List A tournaments, so it's ok disrupting their season, but curating a window for your marque tournament like every other cricketing nation is not ok...?

Starfighter

What I'm saying is that all the lefties seem to have just gone, their different angle adds a different dimension to the attack, Johnson, Starc and even Faulkner have been vital cogs in some of Australia's biggest wins in the last decade across formats.
Perhaps they've gone because they're not good enough (or in the case of 'Dorff and Paris, always injured). I don't want a 'different angle', I want a good bowler. Paris will play for WA, Winter is the only other one who deserves a look in. Rainbird has had plenty of chances, there's simply better bowlers out there. There's never been that many anyway.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Players for those international series come from these shield and List A tournaments, so it's ok disrupting their season, but curating a window for your marque tournament like every other cricketing nation is not ok...?
Im not sure what kind of solution you could propose though. Both the tests and the BBL need to be played in December and January

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Perhaps they've gone because they're not good enough (or in the case of 'Dorff and Paris, always injured). I don't want a 'different angle', I want a good bowler. Paris will play for WA, Winter is the only other one who deserves a look in. Rainbird has had plenty of chances, there's simply better bowlers out there. There's never been that many anyway.
It's fair to say peak Johnson, Starc or Faulkner were as good a bowler(s) Australia have had over the last decade.

The fact that the art of left arm fast bowling has almost gone extinct during that same phase, is both concerning and hard to believe.

Starfighter

It's really not concerning. There's no 'art' to bowling left handed. It's not hard to believe that of the best thirty-odd fit pace bowlers there's only two lefties. Stop being silly.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's fair to say peak Johnson, Starc or Faulkner were as good a bowler(s) Australia have had over the last decade.

The fact that the art of left arm fast bowling has almost gone extinct during that same phase, is both concerning and hard to believe.
no no no no no

Starfighter

^That as well

Though I do wonder what he would have done with a couple more tests before his shoulder injury (probably nothing)

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Im not sure what kind of solution you could propose though. Both the tests and the BBL need to be played in December and January
Australian board if it has to become financially independent would need to make BBL a better brand and tournament, by curtailing the length yet having an influx of more global and local big names, through this they can generate better revenue which as byproduct of it would create a tournament with better quality of cricket generating global interest.

Only thing BBL loses on if it moves away from peak of cricket season is probably the gate money, however given that a whole BBL season went on pretty ok during a pandemic, probably shows a way for the future.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
no no no no no
In ODI cricket he most certainly was Bracken-esque, won Australia plenty of games during his peak, not to forget was 2015 World Cup Final (MOTM)

He was bowling quite well for the Canes at the start of the season, but injures haven't been kind to him.