• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly I am wondering what size the squad would actually be, considering the biosecurity protocol I wonder how many backup options would be selected

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner
Finch
Smith
Labu
????????
Maxwell
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Haze

Still not sure who the other batsman should be. Stoinis, Marsh, Wade all have strong cases

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly I am wondering what size the squad would actually be, considering the biosecurity protocol I wonder how many backup options would be selected
Probably a squad of 13 with 3/4 backups assuming the biosecurity measures for the shield are like the county cricket ones, England where fine with this setup during the Pakistan and windies series.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Thinking these are a lock for the first test of the summer vs Afghanistan

1. Warner
2. Burns
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

5-6 can go many ways. Incumbants Wade and Head, or youth in Pucovski or Green (if he's able to bowl). But I'd be picking Maddinson and Patterson as the next 2 best batsmen in Australia

Last edited:

morgieb

I definitely think Head should be safer than Burns, though in fairness there's no other Plan B for opening as I don't think Warner and Maddinson complement each other well enough and Khawaja's effectively in the doghouse.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with the suggested "go with youth" approach. There's no need for an all rounder at 5 or 6 as I can't imagine Afghanistan causing too many problems for the 4 bowlers named. If it was a stronger opponent, especially in the batting department, a case could be made for M.Marsh if Green is unable to bowl.

Shady Slim

International Coach
would love to see head out of the team because i've long said he's not very good (@TheJediBrah you are not alone comrade)

KPat definitely should get in there too - would love to see him take head's spot. if maddinson is continuing to perform domestically it'd be hardly fair to have him a designated persona non grata given the state of the side he came in to for his first stint

TheJediBrah

I can't get behind Head or Wade as long-ish term options. Wade could fill a role briefly on the back of ~2 years of stellar domestic form, but has been a bit disappointing for Aus

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
A surprise jack Wildermuth call up would not surprise me if he starts the season well. Performed well against England Lions last summer. Don't think it's a good idea but it's something selectors would do.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeah it is rearranging deck chairs on the titanic stuff.

Khawaja was basically opening that series anyway.
Well, it wasn't really re-arranging the deck chairs...

Khawaja was "basically opening" against India cos Finch was failing bad opening against India.

In the series before against Pakistan, Khawaja opened with Finch and Khawaja made an 85 and a 141 as an opener. Finch did ok (against a no-name attack) but Khawaja was excellent as an opener.

They then bought Harris (the opener) back in for the India series and instead of letting Finch drop to 5 where he bats in the Shield and backing Khawaja's recent good form as an opener, they made Finch keep opening and dropped Khawaja back to 3. Finch got worked over by a decent Indian pace attack in an unfamiliar slot for him, and Khawaja only passed 50 once when he was demoted to 3.

None of it made sense and it was classic Langer weirdness. Play the guys most capable of playing decent pace (usman, harris) at the top of the order, have them see it off, and then let Finch come in and do damage at 5. Mightn't have won us the series, but it might've put India under a bit more pressure.