• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Don't really get why all the media pressure is on Head while Wade's position is unquestioned.

Only scored above 40 three times in his 12 Tests since his return to the side. Sure, Head played some loose shots this Test but Wade hardly got dismissed by unplayable deliveries either.
Another Test, another pair of failures for Wade including a particulary inept 1st innings dismissal.

And yet, perhaps because of Pucovski injury doubt, there seems to be no doubts on his spot in the lineup. Whatever Head's flaws i fail to see how he's an inferior option to Wade from a short or long-term view.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Another Test, another pair of failures for Wade including a particulary inept 1st innings dismissal.

And yet, perhaps because of Pucovski injury doubt, there seems to be no doubts on his spot in the lineup. Whatever Head's flaws i fail to see how he's an inferior option to Wade from a short or long-term view.
People just don't seem to like Head, and yet love Pucovski and Green after 1 game. Maybe the real question is why do you like him when no-one else does?

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
People just don't seem to like Head, and yet love Pucovski and Green after 1 game. Maybe the real question is why do you like him when no-one else does?
It's more about Wade's seemingly safe spot in the side despite his continued mediocrity - hasn't reached 40 in his last 6 Tests.

I get why people get frustrated by him but considering how much younger Head is than Wade and his performances are largely superior than Wade in same period, don't get why he's been dropped twice and Wade hasn't.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's more about Wade's seemingly safe spot in the side despite his continued mediocrity - hasn't reached 40 in his last 6 Tests.
Doesn't really change your point but he actually reached 40 in his last Test

The difference between the 2 for me has been Wade looks like he can make runs against Test bowling, whereas Head has looked completely incapable to physically succeed against decent bowling. But then Wade manages to keep getting himself out anyway.

trundler

Dropping Wade after they gave him the nod over Wade just one test ago would be poor optics. Of course, Wade hasn't been good in the middle order previously and no one expected him to be more than a placeholder opening. Don't think he has much of an upside.

TheJediBrah

Dropping Wade after they gave him the nod over Wade just one test ago would be poor optics.
On the contrary, Wade did his job as an Australian cricketer. Namely getting Travis Head out of the team for the benefit of all. Now he can leave the Test side, go back to Tasmania and play some white-ball cricket for Australia when needed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
On the contrary, Wade did his job as an Australian cricketer. Namely getting Travis Head out of the team for the benefit of all. Now he can leave the Test side, go back to Tasmania and play some white-ball cricket for Australia when needed.
You speak too soon. Wade and Harris are gonna open at The Gabba and Heat will come in at 5 and you are gonna hate every bit of it. :laugh:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wade wrongly got picked for tests instead of one day cricket before the last world cup. He's actually much better in limited over formats than he is in tests. Really he shouldn't be anywhere near the side but the cupboard is very bare right now. I don't know what's going on at state level but nobody outside the current setup and Khawaja appears test class. Everyone is either a journeyman shield vet or a fetus. The two most exciting young talents have been picked in this test - Pucovski and Green and both look test class. But when 3/6 of your lineup isn't test class that means you're carrying someone if you can only replace two of the three. Wade is that guy right now because he's experienced and probably well liked and was willing to be a team man and move to open.

stephen

Basically the late Keating/ early Howard era born cricketers have all turned out to be disappointments with the bat.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
While Head does clearly a fair few flaws in his game, the idea that he looks like a rabbit in the headlights against quality bowling in the same manner as Burns or before that Handscomb hasn't really got any basis in statistics. Head doesn't get dismissed for single figures nearly as much as some seem to think, his problem is more throwing it away for a neither here nor there score

Yeahh I know people will dismiss this as "well he would say that, wouldn't he" but it's worth thinking about

stephen

While Head does clearly a fair few flaws in his game, the idea that he looks like a rabbit in the headlights against quality bowling in the same manner as Burns or before that Handscomb hasn't really got any basis in statistics. Head doesn't get dismissed for single figures nearly as much as some seem to think, his problem is more throwing it away for a neither here nor there score

Yeahh I know people will dismiss this as "well he would say that, wouldn't he" but it's worth thinking about
Head is a very talented batsman but needs to correct his footwork before he gets picked again or he'll keep getting found out by test class bowlers. An average of 30 over 11 tests is pretty damn awful, especially when you don't have credit in the bank.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Head is a very talented batsman but needs to correct his footwork before he gets picked again or he'll keep getting found out by test class bowlers. An average of 30 over 11 tests is pretty damn awful, especially when you don't have credit in the bank.
He isn't really "getting found out" though, the problem has been more about playing loose shots at inoppurtune moments

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Yeah I think he's technically reasonably good in defence, at least for the position he bats in (if he opened he'd snick off for <10 all the time IMO), but the problems start to show themselves when he tries to accelerate. His reliance on scoring square of the wicket on the off side mean he gets in two minds sometimes when he's set about whether to drive on the up or leave, and he loses concentration and just pokes at those ones far enough outside off to not defend but not really far enough to cut or square drive. I think it's a matter of his hands saying shot and his feet saying leave. Before he's set he's generally happy to just leave all of these.

In theory it wouldn't be that hard to fix, but I'm sure he's aware of it and it doesn't seem to be getting better. If anything opposition teams are targeting it better so his returns are getting worse.

I do think ideally he'd be out of the side for a little while. This is not an ideal world though, and he's IMO still more likely to score runs than the alternatives the selectors are willing to consider (I'd take CW favourites Khawaja and Maxwell, but they're not going to happen - particularly since they're not in the bubble).

stephen

He isn't really "getting found out" though, the problem has been more about playing loose shots at inoppurtune moments
Being "found out" doesn't mean you immediately become unable to score runs. It means that bowlers are able to execute a strategy against you consistently. That's what's happening to Head and it's why he needs to spend a bit of time working on his game.

Almost every time he's dismissed he's out wafting outside off with zero footwork. It's as predictable as it is annoying.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I think he's technically reasonably good in defence, at least for the position he bats in (if he opened he'd snick off for <10 all the time IMO), but the problems start to show themselves when he tries to accelerate. His reliance on scoring square of the wicket on the off side mean he gets in two minds sometimes when he's set about whether to drive on the up or leave, and he loses concentration and just pokes at those ones far enough outside off to not defend but not really far enough to cut or square drive. I think it's a matter of his hands saying shot and his feet saying leave. Before he's set he's generally happy to just leave all of these.

In theory it wouldn't be that hard to fix, but I'm sure he's aware of it and it doesn't seem to be getting better. If anything opposition teams are targeting it better so his returns are getting worse.

I do think ideally he'd be out of the side for a little while. This is not an ideal world though, and he's IMO still more likely to score runs than the alternatives the selectors are willing to consider (I'd take CW favourites Khawaja and Maxwell, but they're not going to happen - particularly since they're not in the bubble).
Fair enough, I absolutely hate the fact that he has become something of a meme here. He is a talented cricketer, there are areas of weakness but considering the options available shouldn't be written off at all