• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Pucovski is back they can just pick the team they would have picked for the first test. based on the ashes example, I'm assuming Head goes out before Wade

Flem274*

123/5
how long has it been? feels like a fast turnaround but concussion in club sport is usually somewhere in the 3-6 week range.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Pucovski waited 6 weeks every time he got concussed he'd never play a game of cricket
Green was concussed after Pucovski and still played the first Test, too.

Today actually marks the three week anniversary of the incident, so it'll be over four weeks by the time the next Test rolls around. It seems reasonable to me as long as he's not showing any signs of it and/or his other issues.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Green was concussed after Pucovski and still played the first Test, too.

Today actually marks the three week anniversary of the incident, so it'll be over four weeks by the time the next Test rolls around. It seems reasonable to me as long as he's not showing any signs of it and/or his other issues.
Green's was very mild concussion while Pucovski has a history (9) of more serious incidents.

Warner for Burns looks logical with Head the other player on shaky ground.

SeamUp

International Coach
Travis Head's average is 39.75. Whilst I appreciate types of dismissals are a concern but it does feel like the number of guys with relatively high averages are getting dropped from the Australian test team ie Voges, Handscomb + maybe Burns/Head. With Voges/Handscomb , their averages peaked quite high though so the drop was over a number of tests & it makes their dropping understandable.

Harris/Bancroft/M.Marsh the sub 30s
Renshaw sub 35
Finch/Maddinson/Doolan/Bailey/Cartwright/Ferguson/Maxwell/Henriques/Quiney the quick in and outs

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Travis Head's average is 39.75. Whilst I appreciate types of dismissals are a concern but it does feel like the number of guys with relatively high averages are getting dropped from the Australian test team ie Voges, Handscomb + maybe Burns/Head. With Voges/Handscomb , their averages peaked quite high though so the drop was over a number of tests & it makes their dropping understandable.

Renshaw sub 35
Finch/Maddinson/Doolan/Bailey/Cartwright/Ferguson/Maxwell/Henriques/Quiney the quick in and outs
I like Travis Head and I've defended him a bit on here before, but he's played 13 of his 19 matches at home. In that time Australian pitches have been the flattest in the world, with only this season really an exception in any way. His average definitely flatters his actual performances so far in Tests, regardless of what you think of his future prospects, and moreover he's averaging under 30 in his last ten Tests.

I'd still rather keep him in the side than Wade, but I don't think his dropping would be particularly harsh.

TheJediBrah

Travis Head's average is 39.75. Whilst I appreciate types of dismissals are a concern but it does feel like the number of guys with relatively high averages are getting dropped from the Australian test team
It's not strange at all if you watch when/how they made the runs that gave them such high averages, and then watch when/how they fail

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

Renshaw sub 35
Head made close to a third of his career runs in one series against probably the worst SL side to tour aus ever. Aside from that the only things of note he's done are a 100 against nz coming to the crease at 4/250 and batting with marnus to secure the draw vs England after the smith injury, where he got dropped 3 times.

SeamUp

International Coach
That's fair enough guys. I was probably surprised at the pecking order for drops and you've touched on it PEWS but I honestly don't see why you would want to keep Wade in ahead of Head if another opener was brought in unless it is because he is a "team man" :dry:

TheJediBrah

That's fair enough guys. I was probably surprised at the pecking order for drops and you've touched on it PEWS but I honestly don't see why you would want to keep Wade in ahead of Head if another opener was brought in unless it is because he is a "team man" :dry:
Wade simply a better Test batsman. Much more likely to do well against any half-decent bowling

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Wade made 2 hundreds and was our 3rd best bat in that drawn ashes series last year. Only reason I say chop head before him.

Spikey

I suspect in a straw poll, dropping Wade over Head would probably win out, but I reckon most of us don't really care either way as long as one of them drops out (and harris doesn't come in). Head is more likely to be a positive long time fixture, but he can make it very hard to support him

aussie tragic

International Captain
Just checked the stats for Wade and Head when they played in the same Tests. Nothing in it.

Wade: 11T, 19 inn, 2no, 521 runs @ 31.11
Head: 11T, 17 inn, 1no, 490 runs @ 30.62

Spikey

I suspect in a straw poll, dropping Wade over Head would probably win out, but I reckon most of us don't really care either way as long as one of them drops out (and harris doesn't come in). Head is more likely to be a positive long time fixture, but he can make it very hard to support him
Based on Gnske's stellar work in "Aw no" thread I have changed my mind. We have to keep Travis Head in the team. Matthew Wade calling the opposition keeper fat does not tickle my bones like Travis Head saying Aw no

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Don't really get why all the media pressure is on Head while Wade's position is unquestioned.

Only scored above 40 three times in his 12 Tests since his return to the side. Sure, Head played some loose shots this Test but Wade hardly got dismissed by unplayable deliveries either.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Don't really get why all the media pressure is on Head while Wade's position is unquestioned.

Only scored above 40 three times in his 12 Tests since his return to the side. Sure, Head played some loose shots this Test but Wade hardly got dismissed by unplayable deliveries either.
Id prefer Wade quite easily over Head at the moment. If Pucovski and Werner can play, I'd be fine with Green coming in at 5 and Wade 6

Spark

Global Moderator

This misses out on a lot of context IMO.