• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's one thing to rack up runs in the first dig against crap attacks* under no pressure; it's another to do it in the second dig against two Test reps on a complete greentop from 160 behind.

It's not even a question, on 17 December the teamsheet simply must read 1. Nick Larkin

*Gotta say it to fit the #narrative
@Spikey to comment.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If that means he's no longer in the NSW team I'm more than happy to do it.

Instead Mr Sheffield Shield Dermo Sabba Abbott will be called into the 18 man squad to not even make drinks

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Shield is just a really bad match-up for Larkin. His record in the real test of batsmanship - vs unselectable best-bowler-in-the-world Aaron Bird* on an undercooked Sydney First Grade deck - and his Futures League numbers show genuine quality. He just can't handle the lack of mental challenge posed by subpar foetuses and PONIs. Tests will bring out the best in him imo.

If Pucovski can ton up regularly for Sutherland I'll cop it. Until then, it's Ireland's finest who tops the Australian teamsheet.

*When Gannon-ing them down

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You know Usman just made runs too. Experienced. Hopefully over the worry about his cretin brother. Back in the conversation I'd say.
If Usman comes back into the frame, he MUST open. It's his best spot by miles.

TheJediBrah

Usman still way back in the pecking order. Still only 6 batting spots available. Not every bloke making runs can play

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Usman has been **** for a while, 1 ton doesn't throw him back into the spotlight. If he makes some runs opening for aus A in tour matches (assuming he opens)then different story.

morgieb

I feel llike Usman's cards are marked. Which sucks as even though his runs came in the middle order he's a better opening option than Burns and (for now) Pucovski.

morgieb

Usman has been **** for a while, 1 ton doesn't throw him back into the spotlight. If he makes some runs opening for aus A in tour matches (assuming he opens)then different story.
Actually looking at this season and yeah you're right. Thought he had two tons this season so far.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't hate the idea of Usman opening, even as just a stopgap sort of thing, but I doubt the selectors will really take much attention of his middle order runs when thinking about opening options.

Every potential candidate to open alongside Warner has something which concerns me about them tbh, less than ideal

the big bambino

International Captain
Agree with the sentiments or at least why people would hold them, but Khawaja has experience and success in Australia. With Burns flailing, Puc still a concern despite his runs, Mad dog shunted down the order for Vic, Harris not convincing that he's fixed his problems, I think he's still an option.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Heard rumours that the test squad will be 17 players, assuming that's true i'de say we see
Warner, burns, marnus, Smith, head, wade, paine, starc, Cummins, haze, lyon, jpat, neser, swepson, pucovski/Maddison, Inglis/Peirson, Green.
As the 17 man squad. Really want to fit the mad dog there but I can't see them leaving out green and puc, and you want a backup spinner, 2 backup pace bowlers and a backup keeper.

Spikey

There'll be at least 3 seamers in there. Don't see why they would include a back up WK with Wade able to do an EMG job

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warner
Pukovski
Labu
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Haze