• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2020/21

aussie tragic

International Captain
Pucovski is pretty smart. He knows only 1 Victorian is allowed in the Test side so he just keeps batting and batting to ensure Maddinson doesn't get a chance to show how good he is ;)

Gob

International Coach
Struggling to recall whether I've ever seen a more impressive and technically sound young aust batsman than Will Pucovski. Clarke had more flair but he was technically bit loose. Pucovski just look imperious atm..got to pick him for the tests now

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Struggling to recall whether I've ever seen a more impressive and technically sound young aust batsman than Will Pucovski. Clarke had more flair but he was technically bit loose. Pucovski just look imperious atm..got to pick him for the tests now
Didn't 17 year old Ponting break some domestic records

Gob

International Coach
Also think they'll persist with Wade for the moment since 2 debutants can be a bit of a risk for a big series..maybe get him in after the second test when aust are two zip up

TheJediBrah

Pucovski is pretty smart. He knows only 1 Victorian is allowed in the Test side so he just keeps batting and batting to ensure Maddinson doesn't get a chance to show how good he is ;)
I'm wracking my brain to figure out how they convinced Maddinson to step down to the middle order after such a dominant season of opening. Needless to say he would be fuming I would have thought.

Gob

International Coach
Didn't 17 year old Ponting break some domestic records
I didn't see 17 year old Ponting live..have seen some footage and yeah he looked pretty great..it was also interesting to note that Ponting's style and technique at such a young age was not very dissimilar to his peak age batting style a similarity I've noticed with Tendulkar too.Maybe they were finished products as such young age.Not the case with people like Martyn, Clarke, Hussey etc

TheJediBrah

I mean I'm sure it would hypothetically been something along the lines of "more middle order spots available in Test team at the moment" but with the value of hindsight very bad move for him

Gob

International Coach
I'm wracking my brain to figure out how they convinced Maddinson to step down to the middle order after such a dominant season of opening. Needless to say he would be fuming I would have thought.
Mad dog should bat at 3..Peter can use his hands to bat at 4/comb

aussie tragic

International Captain
I mean I'm sure it would hypothetically been something along the lines of "more middle order spots available in Test team at the moment" but with the value of hindsight very bad move for him
I think Maddinson would have been next in line for opener so yes very bad move. But who'd guess that Pucovski and Harris would average 336 as opening partners while Burns continues to fail. Wade and Head seemed the more likely spot for Maddinson like you say.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'm not privy to the inside workings of the Victorian Shield setup but I'd imagine he didn't have much of a say in it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Burns probably needed a score this round or he'd have found himself facing the axe. I've been the biggest Burns supporter out there but it was always the case that as soon as someone actually better came along (i.e. someone not Bancroft or Harris) that he'd be the one to make way. Pucovski has surely done enough to get selected now. Green is pushing Wade pretty hard too and might edge him. Very exciting stuff at the moment.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
It's one thing to rack up runs in the first dig against crap attacks* under no pressure; it's another to do it in the second dig against two Test reps on a complete greentop from 160 behind.

It's not even a question, on 17 December the teamsheet simply must read 1. Nick Larkin

*Gotta say it to fit the #narrative