• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian test selection 2018/19

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who gives a **** about the ratings. Once you leave the top 5 of any of them, it's more noise than signal. In what universe is someone like Wagner rated below Holder, ffs.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cant wait until our top 6 is:

Marcus Langer
Cameron Langer
Usman Khawaja
Shaun Langer
Travis Head
Mitchell Langer

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Might as well thrown Joshua Hayden in there at some stage while Langer's in charge

aussie tragic

International Captain
So Finch averages 9.60 as opener in the 10 white ball innings since the Pak Tests, however is certain to open in the first Test.

Handscomb is only averaging 37 in the shield.

Khawaja has no match fitness.

Marsh brothers, no need to say more.

This has to be the worst Australian batting side I've ever seen

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So Finch averages 9.60 as opener in the 10 white ball innings since the Pak Tests, however is certain to open in the first Test.

Handscomb is only averaging 37 in the shield.

Khawaja has no match fitness.

Marsh brothers, no need to say more.

This has to be the worst Australian batting side I've ever seen
Or..

Finch hasnt failed once in Test cricket averaging 45 as an opener

Khawaja made an amazing Test 141 in one of his most recent knocks.

Handscomb averages 43 and made a ton two Shield matches ago

SMarsh made a century in his last International and his 163* in his most recent bat won the game for WA.

+

Harris has averaged above 40 the past 2 seasons and is averaging 87 this Shield season.

Spikey

Or..

Finch hasnt failed once in Test cricket averaging 45 as an opener

Khawaja made an amazing Test 141 in one of his most recent knocks.

Handscomb averages 43 and made a ton two Shield matches ago

SMarsh made a century in his last International and his 163* in his most recent bat won the game for WA.

+

Harris has averaged above 40 the past 2 seasons and is averaging 87 this Shield season.
quiet you

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While the rest of us are making excuses for when we concede the first ever series loss to India on home soil, here's Nufan with the blind optimism.

Top_Cat

Bringing up averages after the bloke has played all of two Tests with a top score of 60-odd, fair dinkum......

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bringing up averages after the bloke has played all of two Tests with a top score of 60-odd, fair dinkum......
It was a positive comment instead of looking at Finchs white ball bad performances. Finch has seen off the new ball each Test innings so far. Would I like him opening? No but its not all completely doom and gloom.

Red

Finch has opened plenty in FC cricket for Vic, hasn't he?

Not like it's gonna be foreign to him.

Red

Not recently. Pretty sure the last time he opened against the red ball before the UAE was that bizarre warmup game out at Blacktown against NZ
Yeh ok. But he used to do it regularly, yeh or no? I seem to recall it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeh ok. But he used to do it regularly, yeh or no? I seem to recall it.
Yeah he did it a lot, and he sucked, so he got dropped eventually. Only upon getting a recall in the middle order did he start actually making enough runs to cement his spot, let alone get the Australian call-up.

the big bambino

International Captain
That's basically it and the coach who put him in the middle order and saved his career, is getting blow back from Warne for insisting on playing him in the middle order. To accommodate the national selectors who've picked him out of position.

Burgey

Yeah he did it a lot, and he sucked, so he got dropped eventually. Only upon getting a recall in the middle order did he start actually making enough runs to cement his spot, let alone get the Australian call-up.
Wasn’t Finch averaging either eight or ten at one point as an opener in FC cricket? I seem to remember that was the case a few years ago when he was going well in the Australian LO side and numpties like Warne were calling for him to open in tests.

Top_Cat

Watson had a worse run of outs (four ducks on the bounce was it?) and got the gig as Test opener too.

Finch is a stop-gap, for mine. I don't like him as opener personally but I can see the logic to it, he's doing and saying all the right things. Pending Warner and Smith being back in the setup, can't see him being in the spot long. Something about Renshaw's game has really scared the horses, though.

Last edited: