• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection 2016/2017

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
3 spinners, esp. when two of them bowl the same type of spin will be overkill for you guys. I expect them to go with this side..

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
WAde
M Marsh
Steve O Keefe
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

And guess what, that side is a real chance of turning us over. The batting is a little iffy from #6 but the top 5 are all guys who can get in and play long innings and you only need 2 of them to really click and 1 more guy to play decently and surely 2 or 3 of the bottom six will click even if they are block or bash merchants. Good chance to put up 400+ on the board and I expect both the Oz seamers and spinners to be a level up in quality than the English ones in Indian conditions. CAn easily see us crashing to 1 or 2 defeats. Need to be at our best or else Australia will beat us.

adub

International Captain
6 of the top 8 left handers

Ashwin says "thank you"

MMarsh will have to play for no other reason than to break them up IMO
tbf Ashwin is gonna be saying thank you no matter what we do. ****'s gonna tear us a new one.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Gillespie picked Alex Carey in his test squad for India. His domestic record is excellent with 46 catches from 12 games behind the stumps. Batting, not so much but seems to be rated highly.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol..is that Monty Panesar that is playing that game?
Yeah. He's played out here for two or three years iirc. I think he may have had a nightclub incident at some point, or perhaps that was when he was still in England. Can't remember.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Monty probably made the mistake of turning a few past the bat instead of straight-breaking it flat.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
3 spinners, esp. when two of them bowl the same type of spin will be overkill for you guys. I expect them to go with this

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
WAde
M Marsh
Steve O Keefe
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

If they all remain fit, this will almost certainly be the lineup for the 1st Test. And bowling wise, it's as good as it gets for a non-sc side..having 5 proper bowling options (3 pacers + 2 spinners) gives Aus a far better chance of bowling India out than 4 + part-timer maxwell.

It would actually be better from Indian POV if Aus went with 4 bowlers. In good batting conditions I can see them running out of ideas and really struggling with the extra bowling load.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gillespie picked Alex Carey in his test squad for India. His domestic record is excellent with 46 catches from 12 games behind the stumps. Batting, not so much but seems to be rated highly.
There were strong rumours he was going to be picked at one point. I feel like Wade's ODI ton really tilted it back in his favour.

Carey's definitely a better bat than he's shown in his handful of Shield games so far but I still think it'd be a silly pick; Nev is a better bet if you want a Carey-like player.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Seems a fast bowler short unless they plan on playing Marsh as a fast bowler which would be the only logical reason to pick him considering he can't bat at test level to save himself. If he gets anywhere near the top 7 it will be a joke. All these underwhelming all-rounder selections are frustrating. Screams bits and pieces players which worked so well in India last time.

Gob

International Coach
Mitchell Marsh is actually alright in spinning wickets. Good squad except for Wade. Won't catch ****

Shady Slim

International Coach
so like did warne really manage to strongarm some kid from queensland in to the team because of a couple decent bbl games

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
5 spinners seems ott, even 4 if you discount Maxwell as a spinner. No idea if any of the quicker guys were fit but only having Starc that bowls quick seems like an error in the squad given Australia's strengths. I'd like another quick in there. IF starc breaks down are you really playing Bird and Hazlewood as your two seamers + marsh? I rather think looking at Hohns' comments that they are already looking past this tour to the ashes next aus summer and they don't want to take any of their dodgy quicks to breakdown in a series they know they are losing.