• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection 2016/2017

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're probably thinking the other quicks will be back here in the Shield so can be called up quickly, but it does seem light on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Here's the thing though, outwith Starc and Hazelwood, Australia have **** all in the way of proven fast bowling depth. I don't think it's a case of not wanting to break their bowlers as much as not knowing who those bowlers should be.

Daemon

Here's the thing though, outwith Starc and Hazelwood, Australia have **** all in the way of proven fast bowling depth. I don't think it's a case of not wanting to break their bowlers as much as not knowing who those bowlers should be.
Far cry from 2012 or so when they seemed to have crazy depth that looked good for the next decade. Patto and Cummins injuries have been a huge blow.

morgieb

Far cry from 2012 or so when they seemed to have crazy depth that looked good for the next decade. Patto and Cummins injuries have been a huge blow.
Yep. If we can somehow get Patto and Cummins fit at the same time we've got a potentially scary attack. Big "if" though. Almost "if my aunt had balls" level if.

Gob

International Coach
Starc/Haze/Patto never played together in the same match iirc Would be awesome to see all three with Cummins in the next Ashes

BoyBrumby

Englishman
3 spinners, esp. when two of them bowl the same type of spin will be overkill for you guys. I expect them to go with this side..

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
WAde
M Marsh
Steve O Keefe
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

And guess what, that side is a real chance of turning us over. The batting is a little iffy from #6 but the top 5 are all guys who can get in and play long innings and you only need 2 of them to really click and 1 more guy to play decently and surely 2 or 3 of the bottom six will click even if they are block or bash merchants. Good chance to put up 400+ on the board and I expect both the Oz seamers and spinners to be a level up in quality than the English ones in Indian conditions. CAn easily see us crashing to 1 or 2 defeats. Need to be at our best or else Australia will beat us.
Really worked for us, eh?

Lyon's a better spin option on paper than anything we have, but Rashid hardly stunk up the series.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Pattinson and Cummins are both fit at the same time, which one makes the team as the third seamer?

I'm assuming Lyon plays.

Burgey

Really worked for us, eh?

Lyon's a better spin option on paper than anything we have, but Rashid hardly stunk up the series.
India will go so hard at Lyon it isn't funny. Wade will miss two stumpings and a caught behind off him in the first dig of the series, and Lyon will be dropped for Swepson for the second match. Rinse and repeat.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If Pattinson and Cummins are both fit at the same time, which one makes the team as the third seamer?

I'm assuming Lyon plays.
Maxy or Head at 6 and let them all rip it up WI 80s style

Warner
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell/Head
Nevill
Starc
Cummins
Pattinson
Hazelwood

Burgey

I'm assuming Lyon plays.
Probably Pattinson would get first crack but it's so line ball it would depend on who took wickets in the week or two beforehand. Also, Cummins is being limited to LO stuff ATM with a view to preserving his body long term, and Patto is a pretty average LO bowler, so there actually isn't a lot by which to compare the two in the same formats.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India will go so hard at Lyon it isn't funny. Wade will miss two stumpings and a caught behind off him in the first dig of the series, and Lyon will be dropped for Swepson for the second match. Rinse and repeat.
If we get thumped in the first test, things could get really funky

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Indian guy at work is predicting a batting pitch first followed by 3 turners. So we will struggle to take wickets on the batting track and then go for more bowling/less batting the next test and get really dicked. The selections will be as entertaining as the batting.

adub

International Captain
Indian guy at work is predicting a batting pitch first followed by 3 turners. So we will struggle to take wickets on the batting track and then go for more bowling/less batting the next test and get really dicked. The selections will be as entertaining as the batting.
You mean we could actually go for less batting than already having Wade and Marsh/Agar in the top 7?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Warner
Renshaw
Darsh
Smith
Handscomb
Nevill
Head
Starc
O'Keefe
Lyon