• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection 2016/2017

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Khawaja was the form batsman in Australia last summer. He was head and shoulders above almost everyone no matter what version of the game he was playing. Some people here are way too quick to write him off.

TheJediBrah

I remember just being amazed at the form he was in in the Big Bash more than anything. Just went out and made 100+ a couple of times with hardly even playing a risky shot. It was insane.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought we had a thing against horrendously obese people making the Australian cricket team?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Shaun Marsh has just bought himself another Australian summer.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I genuinely think Moises at 5, for this Test and this Test alone, is more likely to make runs than Burns opening or Khawaja at 3. I mean, Moz did hit those 50s in the ill-fated 2013 India tour, so he's not utterly inept when it comes to SC batting. Which, low bar as it is, puts him ahead of Khawaja and Burns.
How about Henriques at 5 vs. Burns at 5 or 4 (if Voges stayed at 5)? For me it is a no brainer. I know Aussie Joe opens for QLD but I still consider him more of a 3 or 4 despite doing a commendable job up top. I hope Burns is not just pigeon-holed as an opener when the next Test team is named.

TheJediBrah

For the summer:

Warner
S.Marsh
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Burns
M.Marsh
Nevill
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

Smarsh and Burns could swap positions. Obviously short of bowling I but hey.

morgieb

I feel like the lineup we should pick for the home summer is:

Warner
Bancroft
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Marsh (which one probably depends on the conditions)
Nevill
Starc
Pattinson (Bird if unfit)
Hazlewood
Lyon

I like the idea of Bancroft opening, seems more solid technique wise than Burns and more importantly puts a price on his wicket. Khawaja and Voges on notice, if they fail in Australian conditions then there has to be question marks about their place - and you could argue Shaun Marsh should be ahead of them. If we get pitches like we did in the last 2 years I'd pick Mitch Marsh for that 6 spot, if we get conditions that actually has something for the bowler then Shaun it is.

TheJediBrah

I feel as though Bancroft has fallen off the pace. He hasn't done much of anything since he was going to go to Bangladesh, and his last few Shield matches he did **** all.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mitch Marsh is going to be persevered with. Shaun definitely has to go on any tour of the subcontinent from now on, even if for the fact that he's shown a penchant for kicking on in conditions where you have to when you are in (which funnily enough he hasn't done in Australia).

morgieb

I feel as though Bancroft has fallen off the pace. He hasn't done much of anything since he was going to go to Bangladesh, and his last few Shield matches he did **** all.
Meh, he still managed 732 runs @ 45.75 last season. Not amazing, but still pretty good and most of the comparable or better batsmen in terms of stats last season were pretty much in their first season/had done little before 2015/16 IIRC.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I've hated on Smarsh a lot, I thought playing him at 4 in order to stop collapses in England was one of the worst selections I've ever seen, and even I think he cops a lot of unnecessary flack here.

Marsh was the only player (who isn't Hussey or Clarke) who has runs in SL as a top order player and with the batting lineup performing as it was it was a perfectly sound change. Burns averaged 8.5 this series.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Warner
Marsh
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Marsh
Nevill
Starc
Pattinson (Bird otherwise)
Hazlewood
Lyon

Its easy really. People who are dropping Usman are bat **** crazy i mean lets drop a bloke who'd make a ton of runs in Australia for a series that will be played in Australia because he is poor in the subcontinent. Even if Aust lose this 3 zip they would still stand a great chance to beat SA and will beat the pants out of Pakistan. Will go titts up in India then obvs

Burgey

Tbf Sidds' pace is about that of Moises these days, and The Aorta does bat better. So maybe there's hope.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've hated on Smarsh a lot, I thought playing him at 4 in order to stop collapses in England was one of the worst selections I've ever seen, and even I think he cops a lot of unnecessary flack here.

Marsh was the only player (who isn't Hussey or Clarke) who has runs in SL as a top order player and with the batting lineup performing as it was it was a perfectly sound change. Burns averaged 8.5 this series.
Yep, I'm happy to have said basically this before the game too. Moises for Khawaja was the bad change.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Silva averaged less for the series before this innings than Burns.

I don't blame them for making the change. Biggest stuff up was that pull shot first ball.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yep, I'm happy to have said basically this before the game too. Moises for Khawaja was the bad change.
Was it Khawaja that got dropped for Faulkner for the 5th test in 2013? Or Hughes?

Seems like the same idea. 'We're losing, we don't think this bloke is going to make any runs, who else have we got left in the squad who can bat top seven?'.