• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Off Season 2017

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Though this latest marketing push by CA does smack of desperation. The problem for them is that if they cave to the ACA, heads will roll in CA. But CA have no real power in the matter because even if half of the state players can be forced into playing during the ashes they won't have enough players of quality left for the big bash. So they'll lose out on both (Australians will reject a 1/4 strength ashes team and the BBL will be a disaster if half the players are grade cricketers).

And that's if the state contacted players don't strike.

social

There will be an Ashes unless CA is not bothered about the risk of killing the game in this country for the next few years

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rose returned to Victoria after being axed, whereas L. Doran has plied his time in the local club cricket comp for a couple of years and is also employed by Cricket Tasmania off the field; but it's likely to be one or the other, with a very slim possibility of both being added.
Clive was still in Tassie last year, when axed from CT contract? Still had a Hurricanes one though?

Or are you saying he's gone back to Victoria this off-season?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pretty sure the "losses" weren't as big as what was expected in the first place, and that the clubs haven't needed as much subsidisation as the original predictions. And that's including the first two years where there was no FTA coverage.

This is just pushing out some figures to support the idea that domestic players shouldn't be part of revenue sharing.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm amazed CA is still dragging this out. The damage to their brand has to outweigh the costs of the ACA demands, surely?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure the "losses" weren't as big as what was expected in the first place, and that the clubs haven't needed as much subsidisation as the original predictions. And that's including the first two years where there was no FTA coverage.

This is just pushing out some figures to support the idea that domestic players shouldn't be part of revenue sharing.
Yeah I mean the rights were sold for, what, $100mil for 5 years. Now they're looking at $250mil for the next 5. Being 30-odd million behind isn't exactly like the sky is caving in.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, every governing body does the "oh we're actually struggling" thing when it's time to pay, but I figured the articles they placed about TV rights was it. I didn't think they'd dare do any PR damage to the golden goose

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Clive was still in Tassie last year, when axed from CT contract? Still had a Hurricanes one though?

Or are you saying he's gone back to Victoria this off-season?
Rose returned to Victoria after his axing from the CT squad, but came back for the BBL season.
The off-season is a bit slow, couldn't find his name on the Tigers' website either, but Cameron Wheatley would be another name in real danger of the axe too. Just added him in case it happened and I wasn't proven to be correct.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
He played the last game for the Tasmanian Futures side and had a good game.
Stepping up with the state side is something he hasn't done though, and Luke Doran's record is good for someone with such limited games. The latter was axed because of the many options NSW have with their spin department.

stephen

CA's message has been quite confused throughout this whole saga.

On one hand they're claiming that they need more money for grass roots. On the other they're claiming that the pay per is above the MoU's required payment levels. On the other hand they're saying that administration of the game takes up more than 71% of the revenue.

So which is it CA? Do you need more money for grass roots, the players or administration or are we just hearing about some magic pudding economics that makes everyone happy (except the players).

social

One thing that leaves me scratching my head is CA's constant referencing of a ground audit and their insinuation that upgrades, etc are their responsibility so they need to put money aside for it

That is BS

The grounds are generally owned by Trusts, councils, schools, etc and it is the owner's responsibility to pay not CA

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean, CA has a very proud record of not paying for any stadium/ground upgrades

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Councils aren't exactly cricket friendly in a lot of areas, particularly inner metropolitan. Upgrading of facilities at sporting ovals isn't really near the top of their concerns. If clubs can bring some money to the table, especially at junior level, then things can move quickly.

Our council has been pretty good over the past decade in upgrading facilities throughout the region at cricket grounds - we're one of the lucky ones.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

stephen

My club was lucky to be in Campbell Newman's electorate for his one term. We got some really nice facility upgrades.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Clive played the whole year in Tassie.

MyCricket - Clive Rose
I read/heard it somewhere else he left, but I definitely knew he played club cricket in Tassie while he was with the Hurricanes.
My guess would be he returned after he was axed for non-cricket reasons while it was the off season.
Anyway I'm almost certain it would be out of him, Doran or Botha for a spinner's position on their list next year.
And with regards to Victoria maybe looking for a new keeper, I might suggest Tom Triffitt if he wishes to move away. But he was homesick when in Western Australia I might add.

Last edited: