• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2022-23

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he opened IIRC? I didn't think he was close to Shield fast-tracking at the time though and he probably just turned the game for Vic here.
Yeah, indeed

Only time will tell if this is really his level or if this is just a bit of a purple patch he is going through, but to play a knock like that in such circumstances is definitely impressive

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Kellaway has impressed me more they Wyllie at this level so far. He's walked in during a collapse basically every innings in his career so far and handelled the pressure of it fantastically, just doesn't have the big scores to show for it so far bar his 80 odd today.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why did Queensland declare at 102 overs but WA seem just to plan to bat on
I think it's down to ladder positions. WA are miles ahead on first so all they need to do is not let Queensland win. Queensland on the other hand are in a battle with Tassie for second spot (although losing to the Redbacks hurts Tasmania's chances) so they need to push for victory and because you can't get bonus points after 100 overs I guess they didn't see the point in batting on.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
So good to see South Australia get the job done last night, although it is so typical but the one time they get the W I am out doing something else. Excellent team effort, almost everyone chipped in at some point which is such a rarity over here in SACAland

Not as a second spinner because he's too similar to Lyon, but if Lyon was injured I'd be all for it. It'd be so similar to the original Lyon selection too.
Yeah, bit hard to fit them both into the same team being real similar type of bowlers. One thing Lyon has always had is an excellent fitness record, never missed any cricket for Australia through injury whatsoever iirc. But if that was to change, Murphy really does seem like he would be a very viable option indeed.

Gob

International Coach
What if you play 3 spinners?

Honestly think he is a better bowler than Agar

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What if you play 3 spinners?

Honestly think he is a better bowler than Agar
He's definitely better than Agar IMO (and Swepson too).

Three spinners rarely happen for Australia and when it does one of them is usually some sort of norounder. Even without that stipulation, offie + SLA + leggie is how they'd probably go - I'm not sure how much Murphy adds when Lyon is already playing.

If Lyon were injured for Australia's next Test I'd pick Murphy though. I love him.

Gob

International Coach
He's definitely better than Agar IMO (and Swepson too).

Three spinners rarely happen for Australia and when it does one of them is usually some sort of norounder. Even without that stipulation, offie + SLA + leggie is how they'd probably go - I'm not sure how much Murphy adds when Lyon is already playing.

If Lyon were injured for Australia's next Test I'd pick Murphy though. I love him.
Yeah agree ideally you want the spinners to be turning it either direction

Also the bolded part. Its been a while since I'm getting excited for a finger spinner. Seeing as he has just turned 22, long career ahead after Lyon

TheJediBrah

My first reaction is similar, ie. 2 off-spinners in the team isn't as useful as having a variety. But the more I think about it the more I realise it shouldn't really matter if they are your best 2 spinners.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My first reaction is similar, ie. 2 off-spinners in the team isn't as useful as having a variety. But the more I think about it the more I realise it shouldn't really matter if they are your best 2 spinners.
Lyon's fitness is kind of another factor in a way.

Like why you actually want to take Lyon off for Murphy? I suppose you could bowl them from both ends, but "these are right handers are great against offies" would be a justifiable reason to bowl Agar or Swepson.

ataraxia

International Coach
Lyon's fitness is kind of another factor in a way.

Like why you actually want to take Lyon off for Murphy? I suppose you could bowl them from both ends, but "these are right handers are great against offies" would be a justifiable reason to bowl Agar or Swepson.
Not to detract from noted bodybuilder Lyon but is spinner fitness even a factor (anymore)? 90 balls of spin in 120 minutes can't be too taxing, right? That's pretty much the maximum.

TheJediBrah

Not to detract from noted bodybuilder Lyon but is spinner fitness even a factor (anymore)? 90 balls of spin in 120 minutes can't be too taxing, right? That's pretty much the maximum.
Yes it is definitely a factor. May not look like much watching from a tv screen but bowling bulk overs can be physically demanding.

In my brief foray into finger spin bowling (which I took up and was immediately adequate at because it's not a real skill and anyone can do it) the thing that I struggled with the most was sore spinning fingers. They almost feel like they're going to cramp. I did have quite a wide-fingered grip though.

ataraxia

International Coach
I legit don't know how to bowl finger-spin which isn't super slow and doesn't spin. I guess I could watch a video or two but eh I'm happy bowling leggies - and honestly I find with that it's more taxing to stand around than to bowl. So yeah that's interesting what you say. (this is ofc hardly an indicator of what it's like in serious cricket lol)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mike Baird is going to be the next CA chairman. Not a popular choice with quite a few members of this forum, I can imagine (though AFAIK the chairman doesn't have much say in proceedings, the CEO is where the power is).

morgieb

I'm conflicted about Ten.

On the one hand, they did a genuinely excellent job with the BBL and it's important for cricket to be on FTA as much as possible. On the other, the network seems to get **** ratings compared to 7/9 which might hurt cricket's visibility to a minor degree and Paramount+ is apparently a piece of ****.

Still given how they got screwed over last time, I hope they win it this time.