• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian domestic season 2021/22

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spot on PEWS. Some of these guys may be incredibly good at knowing where their stumps are, but it's a massive stretch to go from that to a technique that hits balls if clipping leg but misses it's going down by a cm. Batting doesn't work like that.

Spikey

10 SA players may have broken covid safe rules

I assume Nathan McAndrew is the good guy here

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Man it's now a serious drop-off in quality from the top four to the next best bowler in Australian conditions, and that's particularly scary when you consider one of those four hasn't got through a FC game properly in ages and just broke down after two overs.

(EDIT: Oh Richardson's back bowling right now!)

I reckon Neser's probably just as good on certain decks, but unfortunately for him home decks aren't it.

Burgey

James pattinson has retired from test cricket, sad to see him go, real what if story up there with bond.
Is this injury-related or has he just had enough of not being picked? I read he was basically saying a few months ago it was this year or bust.

Thank goodness for Riley Meredith, I guess…

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is this injury-related or has he just had enough of not being picked? I read he was basically saying a few months ago it was this year or bust.

Thank goodness for Riley Meredith, I guess…
Not certain, the article on it is behind a paywall and I can't be ****ed giving murdoch's tiny grease covered hands anymore money.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not certain, the article on it is behind a paywall and I can't be ****ed giving murdoch's tiny grease covered hands anymore money.

Quick James Pattinson retires from Test cricket ahead of Ashes

EXCLUSIVE
PETER LALOR
SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
2 HOURS AGO OCTOBER 20, 2021

James Pattinson has retired from Test cricket leaving Australia short of one its key bowling options ahead of the Ashes.

The 31-year-old has been in the mix with Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood for a number of seasons, usually coming into the side when one is rested or injured, but was picked ahead of Starc for the first Test in the 2019 Ashes.

He is struggling with a knee injury on the eve of the Test summer and lost motivation to get himself up for another campaign – although people close to the bowler are hopeful that a change of fortune at Shield level may lead to a change of heart.

With Pattinson telling selectors he is unavailable Michael Neser, Shaun Abbott and Mark Steketee shape up as other likely inclusions in the Ashes squad.

One of the country’s best quicks for the past decade, stress fractures and the emergence of the NSW trio has limited the Pattinson’s in the Australian team.

He took 20 wickets at an average of 15 in series against New Zealand and India in his first summer.

Injuries early in his career saw him play just 17 Tests in the first five years of his career and he leaves the Australian side with 81 wickets at an average of 26 from 21 games. He also appeared in 15 ODIs and four T20I.

Pattinson has over 300 first class wickets and should add to that tally.

At his best he was a tear away quick with an intimidating presence.

Pattinson was expected to play in the second half of the Border Gavaskar trophy in 2020-21 but injured himself while mowing the lawn at home.

A match ban for abuse saw him left out of the first Test which he was expected to play in 2019-20, but he returned to play against New Zealand in the MCG and SCG Tests.

Pattinson recently flagged his intentions to step down from the national team if he wasn’t picked, saying he wanted to relax and enjoy domestic cricket.

“The hardest part as you get older is that you want to try an enjoy your cricket as well,” he told Cricket Australia’s website recently. “You put all your attention into playing cricket for Australia and at some stage, that finishes.

“This year is a big one for me if I can crack in and try and get an opportunity at the Test level. If not then I probably wouldn’t mind just looking to try and enjoy my cricket somewhere towards the back-end of my career.

“I’m going into it pretty relaxed and trying to say ‘you’re having one last crack at trying to play Test cricket and get a good run at it’. I’d just like to play consistent cricket, wherever it may be.”

Pattinson made his ODI debut in Bangladesh in 2011 and signalled his talent with a five wicket haul on Test debut against New Zealand.

Repeat fractures of the lower back saw him seek radical surgery in New Zealand in an attempt to extend his career.

The painful surgery was never guaranteed success and involved painful rehab but the allowed Pattinson a chance in the 2019 Ashes.

“The big thing on getting the operation was I probably could have not had the operation and maybe settled to play the shorter format of the game. But being 27 and having a pretty good Test record and doing quite well, that’s the big thing that’s kept me pushing on and trying to get back,” Pattinson said at the time.

“It was really difficult. I think fourth time I had a stress fracture in a same area in my back so that’s why we decided to go for surgery it was the last resort. (There is) fair bit of anxiety around when you go down that path as you know if it doesn’t go well, that’s probably your career done. But I was always optimistic, it would work.”

Meanwhile, in NSW’s three-day intra-squad trial match that began on Tuesday, Test spinner Nathan Lyon suffered a mild concussion and as a precaution has withdrawn from the rest of the fixture.

Lyon was injured while fielding late in the day, after bowling 20 well executed overs (1-79), and is expected to play in next week’s Sheffield Shield opener.

Burgey

****ty way for Wardy to get out there. Then a shocker by Jewell to gift another wicket. Tassie was cruising an over ago

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Lyon copping a concussion isn't great either tbh, hopefully he's fit for the ashes, which the article seems to make it look like.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Damn. I don't think any of our other bowling options are near Pattinson's quality, even after all his injuries (expect Richardson, but it remains to be seen what he does in the long form with his patched up shoulder). Probably would have played this summer too. Very much an unfulfilled talent.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Quick James Pattinson retires from Test cricket ahead of Ashes

EXCLUSIVE
PETER LALOR
SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
2 HOURS AGO OCTOBER 20, 2021

James Pattinson has retired from Test cricket leaving Australia short of one its key bowling options ahead of the Ashes.

The 31-year-old has been in the mix with Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood for a number of seasons, usually coming into the side when one is rested or injured, but was picked ahead of Starc for the first Test in the 2019 Ashes.

He is struggling with a knee injury on the eve of the Test summer and lost motivation to get himself up for another campaign – although people close to the bowler are hopeful that a change of fortune at Shield level may lead to a change of heart.

With Pattinson telling selectors he is unavailable Michael Neser, Shaun Abbott and Mark Steketee shape up as other likely inclusions in the Ashes squad.

One of the country’s best quicks for the past decade, stress fractures and the emergence of the NSW trio has limited the Pattinson’s in the Australian team.

He took 20 wickets at an average of 15 in series against New Zealand and India in his first summer.

Injuries early in his career saw him play just 17 Tests in the first five years of his career and he leaves the Australian side with 81 wickets at an average of 26 from 21 games. He also appeared in 15 ODIs and four T20I.

Pattinson has over 300 first class wickets and should add to that tally.

At his best he was a tear away quick with an intimidating presence.

Pattinson was expected to play in the second half of the Border Gavaskar trophy in 2020-21 but injured himself while mowing the lawn at home.

A match ban for abuse saw him left out of the first Test which he was expected to play in 2019-20, but he returned to play against New Zealand in the MCG and SCG Tests.

Pattinson recently flagged his intentions to step down from the national team if he wasn’t picked, saying he wanted to relax and enjoy domestic cricket.

“The hardest part as you get older is that you want to try an enjoy your cricket as well,” he told Cricket Australia’s website recently. “You put all your attention into playing cricket for Australia and at some stage, that finishes.

“This year is a big one for me if I can crack in and try and get an opportunity at the Test level. If not then I probably wouldn’t mind just looking to try and enjoy my cricket somewhere towards the back-end of my career.

“I’m going into it pretty relaxed and trying to say ‘you’re having one last crack at trying to play Test cricket and get a good run at it’. I’d just like to play consistent cricket, wherever it may be.”

Pattinson made his ODI debut in Bangladesh in 2011 and signalled his talent with a five wicket haul on Test debut against New Zealand.

Repeat fractures of the lower back saw him seek radical surgery in New Zealand in an attempt to extend his career.

The painful surgery was never guaranteed success and involved painful rehab but the allowed Pattinson a chance in the 2019 Ashes.

“The big thing on getting the operation was I probably could have not had the operation and maybe settled to play the shorter format of the game. But being 27 and having a pretty good Test record and doing quite well, that’s the big thing that’s kept me pushing on and trying to get back,” Pattinson said at the time.

“It was really difficult. I think fourth time I had a stress fracture in a same area in my back so that’s why we decided to go for surgery it was the last resort. (There is) fair bit of anxiety around when you go down that path as you know if it doesn’t go well, that’s probably your career done. But I was always optimistic, it would work.”

Meanwhile, in NSW’s three-day intra-squad trial match that began on Tuesday, Test spinner Nathan Lyon suffered a mild concussion and as a precaution has withdrawn from the rest of the fixture.

Lyon was injured while fielding late in the day, after bowling 20 well executed overs (1-79), and is expected to play in next week’s Sheffield Shield opener.
Sounds like if he does well in a couple shield matches he'll answer a call up though

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also means we certainly get to have the unedifying sight of Starc wasting the new ball again, unless his form returns dramatically.

Burgey

It also doesn't matter how #great you bowl when you aren't in the #country where you're #needed to #propel the ball at the batsman