• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian domestic season 2021/22

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it worth green giving up bowling alltogether? 140k/s from 6"8 is on paper threatening but even without the bowling his batting+fielding is more than worth it.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it worth green giving up bowling alltogether? 140k/s from 6"8 is on paper threatening but even without the bowling his batting+fielding is more than worth it.
If he can get his action sorted (big if, reckon he needs to try much more side on) he's got a lot of potential as a bowler, especially if he tries the Jamieson route and pitches it up. He shouldn't give it away yet.

Marsh is enjoying a late career Shield renaissance.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, no way should Green give up bowling entirely. Even if he never becomes the bowler he looked like he could be on dayboo as a 17 year old, there is still enough there to be worth persisting with

Also, McAndrew WAG

Shady Slim

International Coach
yeah the only reason green should give up on bowling is if he insists on bowling the morne morkel length, because that'll just lead to him getting injured over and over again for no return - man needs to, like @Starfighter says, learn how to pitch the thing up at test level. perhaps it's an order from powers that be that stopped him doing it in the tests admittedly, and if so that's really dumb on their part.

Starfighter

I have no doubt at all that the ridiculous length he bowled against India was part of our Troy Cooley strategy. He needs to watch some KJ compilations, he can bowl a good out swinger already and looks more natural pitching the ball further up. Could actually be quite handy in England.

Speaking of people that need to watch things, was watching some old highlights and Smith so does need to bat more like he did around 2014-15. His last Shield efforts before everything stopped happening were pretty dire to watch. Probably needs a lighter bat to take the stress off his elbow too, no idea what he uses but Tendulkar got a new lease on his career by going to a lighter bat after his own elbow problems.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah for some reason Smith decided last year to just not bother scoring on the offside at all, which made it extremely easy to clog him up even at Shield level.

Gnske

Didn't he score a ton in that Shield where he was like 10 off 100 or something obscene at one point.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Good partnership here

Lance Morris really looks the sort of bowler who is brilliant when he is on, but serves up absolute pump when he isn't

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
How does Rocchiccioli look? I don't think I've ever actually seen him bowl before.
Didn't see all of his overs, but from what I did see he looked decent. Bowled accurately, got a bit of Lyon style bouncy turn with a couple of balls. Probably a bit too flat and quick at times though

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah from what I saw he bowled mostly darts. Didn't toss many up. Good action though with a lot of potential (for a finger spinner).

Better than any of the SA spinners. Pope especially bowled awfully. Still very young for a leggie but it's not looking promising IMO

Starfighter

Good partnership here

Lance Morris really looks the sort of bowler who is brilliant when he is on, but serves up absolute pump when he isn't
Lance Morris being brilliant when on better happen at some point then. His one five for came at four-and-a-half an over and he's bowled terrible rubbish every time I've seen him (granted, still way better than Summers). I don't like the fact these guys are emerging with no accuracy aged 22-25 like Meredith. Imran Khans who get it together in their late twenties are very rare.

Better than any of the SA spinners. Pope especially bowled awfully. Still very young for a leggie but it's not looking promising IMO
I think it'll be several years for him to gain the required accuracy and I can't see even SA tolerating it in the Shield for too much longer. He doesn't seem to be getting better at the moment either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah from what I saw he bowled mostly darts. Didn't toss many up. Good action though with a lot of potential (for a finger spinner).

When WA named him in the squad for this game, whoever gave the interview (Voges? Stevens?) really emphasised how important it was for the spinner to bowl long, economic spells at home and that's why they hadn't gone with O'Connor. I wonder if the darts had something to do with that.

He certainly bowled a long, economical spell anyway.