• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2017/18

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I would put the quicks into the following tiers:

Tier One
Hazlewood
Starc

Tier Two
Cummins
Pattinson

Tier Three
Behrendorff
Bird
Coulter-Nile
Sayers
Siddle

Tier Four
Boland
Mennie
Tremain

Tier Five
Mackin
Paris
Richardson
Stanlake
Worrall

I know Stanlake is a BS selection, but with a CA contract I thought I would throw him into the final group which is basically a keep an eye on group.

Also I just wrote the names alphabetically within each group, not ranked within group.
Yeah I can't fault this. I think we'd probably disagree with the ordering of some of them if we went through and did them all in order, but you've got all the divisions right IMO.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Spikey

It's pretty ridiculous that we still haven't introduced a loan system. would anyone really care if Cowan played for Tassie for the first 3 games of the season and then resume for NSW

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, because Tasmania have an absolute cream of talented young players like Caleb Jewell who would be denied a well-earned spot because this old man is too close to the retirement home to play for NSW.

But i'd be fine, it's only for a few weeks, as long as it's someone whose test career is completely and utterly done like Maddog and Cowan was left out for that time.

Spikey

Looking forward to Mad Dog opening in the first test because Renshaw did his back bowling.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would rather Cowan play for the CA XI in the matches vs England then play for a different state.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Certainly Cowan has been harshly done by, but he comes across as such a self-absorbed, whiny personality I don’t have much sympathy for him.

TheJediBrah

Queensland's fast bowling attack is depressing. We're supposed to have a fast bowling factory up here but none of our options should be anywhere near the frame for international call up.

The fast bowling pecking order is probably:

Starc
Hazlewood
Cummins
Pattinson
Bird
Behrendorff
Sayers
Siddle
Mackin
Tremain
Mennie
Feldman

Everything below Sayers is up for grabs really. Behrendorff could skip Bird in the pecking order with a strong start to the shield season (or Bird having a slow start). Has Sayers jumped past Siddle? Possibly. Mackin rounding out the last of the options I'd consider a serious possibility of making the national team. I think Mennie has dropped down lower on the pecking order than he should be given his performance in his debut. Am I forgetting anyone?
Lol where did you pull Feldman from

There's a dozen others at least well ahead of him, I didn't even realise he was still playing tbh

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Certainly Cowan has been harshly done by, but he comes across as such a self-absorbed, whiny personality I don’t have much sympathy for him.
Not really, just the type of fella who orders soy lattes, thinks highly of yoga and reads sometimes.

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
Maddinson over Cowan seems like a PoNI selection, assuming that's still a thing.

In the short term in it makes sense to play a potential future test star over a discarded test grinder, but long term it massively devalues hard work and determination.

And from a NSW perspective it just makes the side weaker.

I look forward to Maddinson's continued lack of maturing and becoming the next SMarsh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
NSW QLD ViC TAS have all named squads. Besides Cowan other talking points:

- Bird is fit, Paine and Doran made the 13 man squad. No room for Dunk.

- Heazlett injured

- Harper named so Handscomb wont keep. Holland injured so Fawad plays.