• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Offseason 2011

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Well the Aus A team for the best part of a decade has been pretty random, not exactly a 2nd XI at all , more like a development team, where random players get picked, mostly really young guys, rather than the next guys in line for a test spot.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Remember the halcyon days of the 90s where our Australia A side trounced England and Zimbabwe and the administrators had to nerf the Australia side to ensure Australia A were beaten? Those were the days.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Poor Pistol, that was so fail. I'll always remember Blewett playing a pull shot down the ground at the MCG against Australia, gold stuff.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
News Display | News | Cricket NSW

so a spinner who would walk into every state team is gonna be playing sydney grade cricket all season....still i'm sure the likes of aaron finch, mitch marsh and nathan lyon will benefit facing the likes of jon holland and cam boyce more than monty. bring back international players playing state cricket ffs

and i don't even rate monty

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
News Display | News | Cricket NSW

so a spinner who would walk into every state team is gonna be playing sydney grade cricket all season....still i'm sure the likes of aaron finch, mitch marsh and nathan lyon will benefit facing the likes of jon holland and cam boyce more than monty. bring back international players playing state cricket ffs

and i don't even rate monty
Monty Panesar really loves the game, I reckon he'd play fourths if he couldn't play anywhere else. It's such a shame he can't get a state contract.

I do rate him. He's got the ability to take large swags of wickets at once.

Spikey

i don't know why i wrote nathan lyon where i did, i meant chris lynn

but the point stands, everyone is (rightly) complaining about the standard of state cricket, and yet no team is game to do something a bit radical and bring in an overseas guy to improve it and help win some silverware. at the end of the day, do you want all those good young bowlers bowling to chris gayle or whoever the new dud opening for QLD is

Last edited:

benchmark00

Would rather the domestic player over the international star. Only way you're going to improve young batsmen is play them at shield level. If the bowlers are good enough they'll go on A tours. And there's enough good batsmen out there in Australia for them to bowl at.

Let's not lose our **** because we lost an Ashes series to the best team in the world.

Spikey

Making the young batsman earn his spot is probably a better way to improve him...

of course, in the current climate any young spinner could be playing for australia tomorrow, so it's understandable for an overseas spinner to be over-looked. doesn't mean i like it

Last edited:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
When I was a kid, players like Barry Richards used to play in the Aussie state comp and some of the great West Indies players did too. I don't think it did our bowlers any harm to bowl at superstars at home.

Michael Holding played in Tasmania if I remember rightly. You might get a few more punters through the gate as well.

Spikey

When I was a kid, players like Barry Richards used to play in the Aussie state comp and some of the great West Indies players did too. I don't think it did our bowlers any harm to bowl at superstars at home.

Michael Holding played in Tasmania if I remember rightly. You might get a few more punters through the gate as well.
Our greatest fast bowler decided to bowl fast because of Wes Hall....

Now obviously those days are gone...but we all agree someone like Murray Goodwin did more good than harm for Australian cricket right? I'm not saying all teams should do it...but there's always one team each season who could use reinforcements

Btw, the new QLD opener is this 'kid' Andrew Robinson | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo