• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic off-season 2019

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Let's face it - teenagers are either working or playing video games on weekends. I love cricket but from a parents point of view, running the kids to cricket every weekend when they're teenagers is far less enticing than sitting them in front of a PS4 and doing whatever the hell I want to do.

Chubb

International Regular
Hi guys, looking for some info.

It’s very likely I’ll be moving to Melbourne in September (my partner has a great career opportunity) and I need to find out more about the cricket scene/clubs/levels etc.

I play fourth grade in Wellington and not sure how that compares to anything in Australia. Don’t want looking to play anything serious and not sure exactly where we’ll be living yet. I guess it would be good to know how the leagues are structured and what sort of team I should be looking for.
Update!

Looks like we have a place in West Footscray. Close by is a team called Druids who play in the VTCA. Not sure how many teams they have. The Melbourne cricket structure is very confusing to a newcomer but I read there are plans to reform it? Having read up on the leagues I thought the lower grade Mercantile might be ideal for me (and I loved Gideon Haigh's book about South Yarra) but that's mainly south and east right?

And yes I know Footscray had/has a rep ;)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What level are you settling on playing mate? Do you want to play grade on turf or happy to have a pretty casual game in the park? There's a stack of Victorian (eewwwww) posters on here who can set out straight on the structures, I'm not sure if it's the same as here in Sydney. TJB will have a good idea. Maybe VM VicOrthdox as well - he played first grade down there for years so will have a good idea about what fits in where. Riggins as well, but he's hardly ever around any more.

Chubb

International Regular
What level are you settling on playing mate? Do you want to play grade on turf or happy to have a pretty casual game in the park? There's a stack of Victorian (eewwwww) posters on here who can set out straight on the structures, I'm not sure if it's the same as here in Sydney. TJB will have a good idea. Maybe VM VicOrthdox as well - he played first grade down there for years so will have a good idea about what fits in where. Riggins as well, but he's hardly ever around any more.
I am not a good player but it's becoming harder to find the kind of cricket I like playing - basically, English village cricket - in NZ. I'd prefer to play on grass but not at a high level. The Wellington Fourth Grade where I play now is ideal for me. We play a mix of one and two dayers on grass and have club lower grade practices but it's not intense.

From what I've read the lower grades of the Mercantile fit that kind of bill. Not sure about the VTCA or the bewildering array of other leagues there appear to be. If the Druids play that kind of level and don't have a bad rep, I would join them as they are closest to the property.

If anyone here has played field hockey in Melbourne I'd also be interested to hear about it, though it looks easier to find a team than for cricket.

Last edited:

Burgey

Sort of sounds like the equivalent to lower grade (threes or fours) in Shires up here in Sydney. Not sure what the equivalent is in Melbourne. Probably also depends how far you want to travel. Shires, even though lower grades is pretty average, still involves travel all over Sydney, and they play on turf on some beautiful grounds (a lot nicer than many lower grade grade club grounds). You might be bale to jag a decent local comp on turf which will save you a lot of driving around the joint.

Good luck with it anyway mate. Keep us posted on how you get on.

TheJediBrah

I played in that exact comp (VTCA) as a kid. Same area too around Essendon/Footscray/Moonee Valley etc. The standard varies quite a bit between divisions but every team will have 2 or 3 overseas pros from India or Sri Lanka usually. Some good, hard, competition too in the higher grades. By that I mean you'll get plenty of sledging and hard play but most teams will share a beer after the game.

TheJediBrah

M8 there is no line in VTCA. Playing there as a 15 year old molded me in to the disrespectful abusive **** I am today

Burgey

Would do a lot of players from around the world some good to play in that competition then. As the Grade Cricketer has noted, everyone needs to learn that standing there abusing the **** out of someone for hours then saying "shot mate" when they pull off a decent cover drive isn't a sign of a personality disorder, it's how cricket should always be played. Hard but fair, and share a drink after the game.

Regardless of whether and opponent has threatened you or your family over the course of the day.

Not having a drink after the game is clearly #crossingtheline

Last edited:

Chubb

International Regular
Would do a lot of players from around the world some good to play in that competition then. As the Grade Cricketer has noted, everyone needs to learn that standing there abusing the **** out of someone for hours then saying "shot mate" when they pull off a decent cover drive isn't a sign of a personality disorder, it's how cricket should always be played. Hard but fair, and share a drink after the game.

Regardless of whether and opponent has threatened you or your family over the course of the day.

Not having a drink after the game is clearly #crossingtheline
This happens in Wellington fourth grade anyway. In fact a guy who pretty much did the exact same thing to me (he didn't just say "shot", he walked over from midwicket and shook my hand) is now running to be Mayor of Lower Hutt. I'm no saint myself so maybe I will fit in.

Last edited:

mr_mister

I actually detest the attitude of lower grade club cricketers. Sledging might be the Australian way or whatever but it's really unpleasant. I want to enjoy sport without copping awkward banter. My inner west comp was filled with seriously angry blokes

Burgey

This happens in Wellington fourth grade anyway. In fact a guy who pretty much did the exact same thing to me (he didn't just say "shot", he walked over from midwicket and shook my hand) is now running to be Mayor of Lower Hutt. I'm no saint myself so maybe I will fit in.
TBF, if he actually does have a personality disorder, he'll do well in politics.

Daemon

Tall middle order bat, likes to go straight from what I remember. Can also bowl a few meds, they don't look anything to write home about though. Was on the WA list, but he missed a fair bit of cricket with a busted foot, lost his contract recently as a result so he has obviously now decided to try his luck in the associate world
https://www.icc-cricket.com/match/15389

https://www.icc-cricket.com/match/15395#scorecard

Looks like he's doing alright so far. Unfortunately run out today for not much but he was looking good.

stephen

Looks like Australia will be honouring the most important cricketing family in the country by naming the domestic competitions after them. The Marsh one day cup and Marsh Sheffield Shield will debut next season. Even though both of the marsh brothers will probably have international duties over the summer it's nice that the domestic competition will be honouring them so.

TheJediBrah

Looks like Australia will be honouring the most important cricketing family in the country by naming the domestic competitions after them. The Marsh one day cup and Marsh Sheffield Shield will debut next season. Even though both of the marsh brothers will probably have international duties over the summer it's nice that the domestic competition will be honouring them so.
dude it's just a sport, let it go, seriously I fear from your mental health