• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia to cancel bangladesh again

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not reading a fricking thread. Read the OP but I don't understand your point.

Anyways I'm off to bed so don't expect me to reply.
That shows your frikking (or what ever) attitude. If BAN to lose test status then should be SAF, IND, WI and NZ during their earlier years, some of them worse than BAN. ICC or what ever frikking organisation did not withdraw the test status of these countries. Neither should be Bangladh's

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Seems like both sides are more inclined to play IPL then a Test and ODI series....

So be it.

For Bangladesh to become a more competitive side however, they should play more cricket against quality sides.

MagaMan

Cricket Spectator
Some debate going on here I see :P Think I should share some of my views as a Bangladeshi on our state in test match cricket. :P

There have been a few suggestions that Bangladesh should play test cricket against the associate nations - well I would have agreed with that even 4-5 years back, but not now. Things have changed a lot.

I think we are at a stage where we will do to the associate sides what the other test nations did to us in the first parts of this decade. We are clearly past that stage where we should be playing against associate nations in test matches.

However, I am still not sure about how competitive we are going to be against test sides outside the sub-continent. We still don't have any genuine fast bowlers in the side and I believe we don't have the capability to take 20 wickets in a test match outside the sub-continent. In fact, even in our home conditions we would have to bowl really really well to take 20 wickets against a top opposition.

You see, bowlers like Razzaq, Shuvo, Mahmudullah - they can contain batsmen in ODI cricket, put them under pressure by drying up the runs and in progress take their wickets. But that won't be the case in test match cricket.

Playing test matches outside the sub-continent would turn out to be quite a mismatch more often than not. We will put in good performances from time to time and during periods of a test match, but I believe that still we don't have what it takes to be consistent in test matches outside our familiar conditions.

So what I suggest is, we should continue playing test matches against big oppositions in the sub-continent. For improving our skills of playing outside our region, I really liked the idea that Geoffrey Boycott put forward in an audio interview with cricinfo. He said that, the Bangladesh national team should be sent to countries like England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa to compete in their local first class matches for full seasons. If the ICC can do something like that, I really believe that it would do our national side a world of good because they would be playing against some good opposition in alien conditions. Their performances wouldn't be under too much scrutiny and they can only get better with prolonged exposure to those conditions. Yes we have been improving steadily over the past 2-3 years, but this I believe could really accelerate our growth as a test playing side.

DumDum is legend.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some debate going on here I see :P Think I should share some of my views as a Bangladeshi on our state in test match cricket. :P

There have been a few suggestions that Bangladesh should play test cricket against the associate nations - well I would have agreed with that even 4-5 years back, but not now. Things have changed a lot.

I think we are at a stage where we will do to the associate sides what the other test nations did to us in the first parts of this decade. We are clearly past that stage where we should be playing against associate nations in test matches.

However, I am still not sure about how competitive we are going to be against test sides outside the sub-continent. We still don't have any genuine fast bowlers in the side and I believe we don't have the capability to take 20 wickets in a test match outside the sub-continent. In fact, even in our home conditions we would have to bowl really really well to take 20 wickets against a top opposition.

You see, bowlers like Razzaq, Shuvo, Mahmudullah - they can contain batsmen in ODI cricket, put them under pressure by drying up the runs and in progress take their wickets. But that won't be the case in test match cricket.

Playing test matches outside the sub-continent would turn out to be quite a mismatch more often than not. We will put in good performances from time to time and during periods of a test match, but I believe that still we don't have what it takes to be consistent in test matches outside our familiar conditions.

So what I suggest is, we should continue playing test matches against big oppositions in the sub-continent. For improving our skills of playing outside our region, I really liked the idea that Geoffrey Boycott put forward in an audio interview with cricinfo. He said that, the Bangladesh national team should be sent to countries like England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa to compete in their local first class matches for full seasons. If the ICC can do something like that, I really believe that it would do our national side a world of good because they would be playing against some good opposition in alien conditions. Their performances wouldn't be under too much scrutiny and they can only get better with prolonged exposure to those conditions. Yes we have been improving steadily over the past 2-3 years, but this I believe could really accelerate our growth as a test playing side.

DumDum is legend.
Awta. Although however good an idea it sounds, making an entire squad of Bangladeshis play FC cricket for an entire season in a foreign country is not really feasible imo.

MagaMan

Cricket Spectator
Actually football >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cricket in bangladesh.They love football!
Umm actually no. Football used to be our number one game 15 years back, not anymore. Cricket is the number one game in these parts by a long margin now.

They had Ashrafool who looked a great prospect when he got that 100 against Australia. Then he turns to trash. Improvement?

Tamim and Shakib are their only decent players. Which isn't any different to any other associate team atm.
They have got rid of Ashraful, but he will be back. I have tried to explain a few things about Ashraful here in this post: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2354442-post1260.html

To add to that, Ashraful has quite often been compared with the legendary Aravinda de Silva. Aravinda was also a bit life Ashraful at the beginning of his career, very talented but used to throw his wicket away. And if you look at his performances during his 1st few years in international cricket, it is quite similar to Ashraful's. So you really shouldn't write off Mohammad Ashraful just as yet. He is still 26 and he has a good 7-8 years of his career left.

And dude seriously, JUST decent players :S ? And it aint any different to any other associate team? Please I would like you to enlighten me with the names of a few players from associate nations who are as 'decent' as Tamim and Shakib.

morgieb

Even Brad Haddin is a light year behinf Andy Flower. Easily the best keeper batsmen in the test history.And Oh, Flower had goodwin, Campbell, Junior Flower and Neil Johnson as well.
Gilchrist much?

But yeah, Flower was good.

morgieb

TumTum, can't believe that you don't think they've improved. They've got 2 quality players (whereas before you could argue 2, but they were merely OK) and a few decent ones too. They just whitewashed NZ. That's quite good.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia will find it quite difficult to defeat Bangladesh in Bangladesh IMO, just for the simple fact that our spin bowling is weak.

Remember the last series in Bangladesh, particularly the first match we were completely under the pump and it took a legend like Gilchrist to step up for us to win.

morgieb

Australia will find it quite difficult to defeat Bangladesh in Bangladesh IMO, just for the simple fact that our spin bowling is weak.

Remember the last series in Bangladesh, particularly the first match we were completely under the pump and it took a legend like Gilchrist to step up for us to win.
Nah I still believe that we can beat them - Tamin aside their batting isn't that strong.

Will give us a few scares tho.

TumTum

Banned
and Ponting

Miagra said:
That shows your frikking (or what ever) attitude. If BAN to lose test status then should be SAF, IND, WI and NZ during their earlier years, some of them worse than BAN. ICC or what ever frikking organisation did not withdraw the test status of these countries. Neither should be Bangladh's
Do you know what the state of Test cricket was in those years? No you don't so just because you can dig up some stats doesn't prove ****.

Right at the moment Test cricket is in danger, and T20 is quickly gaining popularity. Letting strong teams play Bangladesh will just worsen this.

DumMan said:

So what you are suggesting is that Test cricket should be continued to be played in BD but FC outside??

I don't see much problem with that, as we know BD are better at home. The problem occurs when they tour and get defeated handsomely and look very amateurish. That is what drives crowds away.

The hard thing of course will be implementing something as complicated as that.

DumMan said:
They have got rid of Ashraful, but he will be back. I have tried to explain a few things about Ashraful here in this post: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2354442-post1260.html

To add to that, Ashraful has quite often been compared with the legendary Aravinda de Silva. Aravinda was also a bit life Ashraful at the beginning of his career, very talented but used to throw his wicket away. And if you look at his performances during his 1st few years in international cricket, it is quite similar to Ashraful's. So you really shouldn't write off Mohammad Ashraful just as yet. He is still 26 and he has a good 7-8 years of his career left.
What does Ashrafool average in Test cricket again? :laugh: He's gone for good, which is good for Bangladesh.

morgieb said:
TumTum, can't believe that you don't think they've improved. They've got 2 quality players (whereas before you could argue 2, but they were merely OK) and a few decent ones too. They just whitewashed NZ. That's quite good.
They look decent against teams like NZ (at home) and WI A,

The problem is when teams like Australia will start playing them, there will be no competition.

Even if we assume they do well against us (which is a big if), the international viewer ship on that match will be minimal (unless we are getting getting our butt's kicked :p, out come the trolls :ph34r:). This is not good for Test cricket.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah I still believe that we can beat them - Tamin aside their batting isn't that strong.

Will give us a few scares tho.
I didn't say we can't beat them morgie, I said we'll find it difficult - i.e it will be a Test..

Debris

International 12th Man
We saw what priority Cricket Australia puts on test cricket a few weeks back when Hussey and Bollinger were told to play a pointless T20 series rather than prepare for Indian tests. This is just a continuation of that disgraceful behaviour.

MagaMan

Cricket Spectator
So what you are suggesting is that Test cricket should be continued to be played in BD but FC outside??

I don't see much problem with that, as we know BD are better at home. The problem occurs when they tour and get defeated handsomely and look very amateurish. That is what drives crowds away.

The hard thing of course will be implementing something as complicated as that.

What does Ashrafool average in Test cricket again? :laugh: He's gone for good, which is good for Bangladesh.
Yes that would be the best solution. I understand that it will be hard to implement. But ICC has the money, if they really want Bangladesh to improve, if they want a new force in test match cricket, they have to use some of that money to help Bangladesh become a better test side. This is only going to be good for test match cricket.

We are improving, make no mistake about that, but to further accelerate the improvement I think this is the best solution.

Look DumDum, what I am saying is you shouldn't write off Ashraful just as yet. The reason that a lot of people have compared him with Aravinda is, he is vastly talented but he throws his wicket away just like the legendary Sri Lankan did early in his career. No one can say that Ashraful lacks the ability to become a world class batsman, itz just that he is very confused at this moment about how to approach his batting. But I am hoping that he will sort things out soon enough.

Aravinda's average in his 1st 5 years in test match cricket was 23.57 with 2 centuries and 1 half century. Compared to that Ashraful's average in 1st 5 years was 22.26 with 2 centuries and 6 half centuries. Ashraful started picking up his average in his 6th year and he played pretty consistently for the next 2 seasons scoring 3 centuries with his average in the mid 30s. But then the Bangladesh board made a huge error by burdening him with the job of captaincy which really hampered his development into a world class batsman.

And if you see, Aravinda's career really took off around the 10th year of his career and some of his best performances were in the last 6-7 years of his time in international cricket. Of course, I am not saying that Ashraful will go on to do the same thing. I am only saying that don't write him off like that just as yet. He is talented, he has the ability and he has time on his side. He just needs to sort things out in his head.

TumTum

Banned
We won't get a chance to see if he would have got better or not, he's out of the team, and I don't expect them to bring him back any time soon.

Also money is not the only issue for ICC implementing that suggestion. In an ideal world that is a very good solution, but let's be realistic that is never going to happen.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you know what the state of Test cricket was in those years? No you don't so just because you can dig up some stats doesn't prove ****.

Right at the moment Test cricket is in danger, and T20 is quickly gaining popularity. Letting strong teams play Bangladesh will just worsen this.
So test cricket gifted test status to weaker SAF, NZ, IND and WI by then and still Aussies toured them. That basically shuts your argument out. If those sides deserved test status so does BAN and IRE. If you strip the test status of them, strip the test status of above sides as they were piss poorer than BAN.

TumTum

Banned
:laugh: No it doesn't.

My argument is that Test cricket is in danger because of other new formats like T20 cricket. That wasn't the case before.