• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia ATG vs ROW XI - in Australia

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? He had good series in 76/77 and 81 against strong Aussie lineups.

But I prefer Wasim who did well against 90s Australia.
All 3 5fers in 1977 and that lineup looks awful on paper.

Wasim did well against clearly better teams. Even scored a ton in Australia.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
So long as Holding has form as 3rd bowler, he is excellent.

Why risk the keeper dropping an Australian which will cost, on average 30 runs. Neither AB nor Pant are worth that much more in batting over Knott.
How many has Pant dropped in the last 36 months or so?

subshakerz

International Coach
All 3 5fers in 1977 and that lineup looks awful on paper.

Wasim did well against clearly better teams. Even scored a ton in Australia.
Imran also scored a ton. And the lineup in 77 had Chappell and Walters. In 81 it had Chappell, Hughes and Border.

But I agree Wasim is more impressive bowling-wise.

Victor Ian

International Coach
How many has Pant dropped in the last 36 months or so?
There are drops and then there are the drops I am talking about, which are chances not made. A proper keeper will be in position to turn more balls into catchable options than someone who merely doesn't drop them, but lets first slip drop them or the ground catch them because the keeper didn't set up as well as he could have to make it a chance. This is what you need here. You need someone of the utmost keeping ability to get Bradman (or any other batsman) out on a ball that other keepers wouldn't have dropped because they were not even there.

subshakerz

International Coach
There are drops and then there are the drops I am talking about, which are chances not made. A proper keeper will be in position to turn more balls into catchable options than someone who merely doesn't drop them, but lets first slip drop them or the ground catch them because the keeper didn't set up as well as he could have to make it a chance. This is what you need here. You need someone of the utmost keeping ability to get Bradman (or any other batsman) out on a ball that other keepers wouldn't have dropped because they were not even there.
Fair enough point. Knott it is then. Shows what an advantage Gilly is, worldclass with keeping skills and the bat.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Another thing, on thinking about keeping, and that has been pissing me off lately with Australia, is that a good keeper, combined with good slips means that the guys spread out and cover more arc, meaning you can probably have the last one, somewhere else in the field. Now, the slips are all too close to the keeper. (at least it seems that way).

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I am revising my lineup:

Hutton
Hobbs
Viv
Hammond
Tendulkar
Sobers
Knott
Hadlee
Wasim
Holding
Ambrose
Going to use this lineup as a basis for my ROTW 18 man squad. Added 7 more players, including 2 spinners, 1 pacer, 2 all rounders (batting and bowling) and one batsmen. Added imran as the bowling all-rounder, kallis as the batting all-rounder, murali, allan donald and jadeja as the bowlers, gavaskar as the backup batsmen and watling. Think most explain themselves but allan donald is a beast in these sim's, murali is a beast aswell and jadeja has done extremely well vs Aus in Aus against a good lineup.

subshakerz

International Coach
Going to use this lineup as a basis for my ROTW 18 man squad. Added 7 more players, including 2 spinners, 1 pacer, 2 all rounders (batting and bowling) and one batsmen. Added imran as the bowling all-rounder, kallis as the batting all-rounder, murali, allan donald and jadeja as the bowlers, gavaskar as the backup batsmen and watling. Think most explain themselves but allan donald is a beast in these sim's, murali is a beast aswell and jadeja has done extremely well vs Aus in Aus against a good lineup.
Both Murali and Donald are questionable selections for Australia. I would pick a legspinner like Kumble over Murali and a pacer like Steyn over Donald.

Burgey

I am revising my lineup:

Hutton
Hobbs
Viv
Hammond
Tendulkar
Sobers
Knott
Hadlee
Wasim
Holding
Ambrose
lol as if Tendulkar would move from four. He’d refuse to play.

very good side though. Maurice Tate would be a good shout too

Zinzan

lol as if Tendulkar would move from four. He’d refuse to play.
Confirmed he never batted 3 in Tests, but did open on one occasion in the 2nd innings vs NZ in India when they had a big first innings lead.