• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia ATG vs ROW XI - in Australia

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I need to pick a squad of 18 for a series sim without the indian meme attack, I can do it for aus cause the initial post had 18 players. Say who should play and ill run it.

Victor Ian

International Coach
And Hutton who scored against probably Australia’s best ever attack.Iverson,Lindwall,Miller,Johnston.
Hutton is a gun. But he only averages 50 in Australia. If this is stat based (why else pick pant or devilliers) then Hutton is a downgrade on Hobbs and Herb. Personally, I'd pick Hobbs and Hutton.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is who I'd pick for ROTW

Hobbs
Hutton
Viv
Tendulkar
Hammond
Sobers
Knott
Imran
Hadlee
Garner
Ambrose

...Batting order might be a bit off regarding where Hammond should bat.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Have you checked Garner's record in Australia? Why him over Holding?
Batting is fine.
I love Holding, but as a kid watching the Windies, it was Garner that seemed like the killer. Those continual balls into the chest area ****ed everyone up and made them fodder for everyone else. Holding is probably just as good. I wouldn't be upset either way.

edit: so no. I did no ckeck any stats on the bowling front. They are all picked on the vibe they gave when touring here.

subshakerz

International Coach
You have listed 4 guys. They will all be much better in Australia than overseas. They will all average the expected average of 30, which is all you are going to expect the World team to average. The openers advantage is only a few runs at best. Do the math.
Hayden will do ok against Hadlee I imagine as medium pace didn't bother him.

But the times he faced quality higher pace bowlers at home, Ambrose early career, Shoaib mid-career and Steyn end career, he struggled.

subshakerz

International Coach
I love Holding, but as a kid watching the Windies, it was Garner that seemed like the killer. Those continual balls into the chest area ****ed everyone up and made them fodder for everyone else. Holding is probably just as good. I wouldn't be upset either way.

edit: so no. I did no ckeck any stats on the bowling front. They are all picked on the vibe they gave when touring here.
Fair enough. Garner is too similar to Ambrose for me but a yard slower. Holding has the fear factor.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is who I'd pick for ROTW

Hobbs
Hutton
Viv
Tendulkar
Hammond
Sobers
Knott
Imran
Hadlee
Garner
Ambrose

...Batting order might be a bit off regarding where Hammond should bat.
Imran definitely shouldn't be making this xi. His only big hauls were in 1977 against an awful batting lineup.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Hayden will do ok against Hadlee I imagine as medium pace didn't bother him.

But the times he faced quality higher pace bowlers at home, Ambrose early career, Shoaib mid-career and Steyn end career, he struggled.
Steyn, end career, Hayden was in decline. Ambrose early career, he was not yet the bully he became. I'm not sure these statements hold much weight. But I could put Trumper in, just as easily, who you can not make any statements against as none of the bowlers he faced will be playing.