• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A in Pakistan

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Jaques has pretty much secured his spot at the top of the order when Australia play their next Test, unless he injures himself or his form falls away dramatically. Scoring more runs on this tour than Chris Rogers, and I think he did better in County Cricket, not much doubt about it now IMO.

social

Jacques is an ugly player but it's not how, it's how many - the guy deserves a chance

Bollinger is another in that category - not pretty but is nippy and swings it

Good performance by the Ozzies (pretty much one-sided traffic since the ODIs) but Macgill is a worry

Perm

Jacques is an ugly player but it's not how, it's how many - the guy deserves a chance

Bollinger is another in that category - not pretty but is nippy and swings it

Good performance by the Ozzies (pretty much one-sided traffic since the ODIs) but Macgill is a worry
But Jaques deserves a spot in the Test side, Bollinger is not even close.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He's pretty ugly IMO, but not much more than someone like Langer or Hussey. He's just not a particularly stylish batsman. If one appreciates quality he can be quite good to watch regardless.

The match finished as a draw, btw. Australia batted a fair chunk of day 4 with David Hussey making another century.

pup11

International Coach
I just don't know what more David Hussey would have to do to get picked in the Australian team, i just don't know why the selectors underrate him so much, not too many people in CW either seem to rate him.
But i can just hope his time would come!

Perm

I just don't know what more David Hussey would have to do to get picked in the Australian team, i just don't know why the selectors underrate him so much, not too many people in CW either seem to rate him.
But i can just hope his time would come!
Ponting, M. Hussey and Clarke are all better options at the moment, would've thought that was obvious.

Matt79

Global Moderator
If Watson's fitness continues to be an issue, and Symonds is predictably bad in the first couple of Tests, AND the new bowling attack is doing alright, maybe try D. Hussey at 6 rather than an allrounder? A few "ifs" there, but the first two at least seem quite likely.

EDIT: Although, it would of course be the supreme irony if the only way a Bushranger could get into the squad would be ahead of Brad Hodge...

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Isn't it true that Victorians have never been treated well by the selectors, i guess David should move to NSW then he might have a chance.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Isn't it true that Victorians have never been treated well by the selectors, i guess David should move to NSW then he might have a chance.
There always been other and sometimes better options. Elliott was great at his best but just look what Langer and Hayden have done as combination. Hodge yeah he was extremely unluckly but such as the nature of a dominate side. Love and Maher should have got more chances as well at his prime. Cox and Siddons should have got one chance atleast. Hussey is very good batsmen but IMO the likes of Love, Hodge, Maher, Siddons and Cox were a lot more unluckly them he will ever be. At the end of the day it wouldn't surprised me if he does get more chances then Siddons or Cox. But all that is the nature of a strong and successful batting line up.

If Hussey moved to NSW, who to say he wont be another Simon Katich. Yeah NSW have had more Internationals then other sides. But have the likes of Taylor, Slater (Tests), Bevan (ODIs), S Waugh, M Waugh, M Clarke (recently), McGarth, Lee (ODIs), Bracken (ODIs), Clark (Tests) and MacGill been poor selections. Yeah we had some joke selections like Shane Lee (but he did a role at the time), Simon Cook (Muller got selected around then), Anthony Clark (he got a hat trick) and Gavin Robertson (again did a role and not much better options as 2nd spinners around then).

The fact that useless bowlers like Harwood and Lewis have been selected, as well as White intial selection as spinner long before his batting showed promise. Not to mention Ian Harvey continual selection or 2-3 years in ODI team shows that Victoria haven't really been hard done by the selectors. Fleming and Elliott both got a decent runs when they were at the peak, before other took over. Its just they whinge about it more.

The fact that Tasmania have only had like five Internationals in the last 20 years (Boon, Ponting, Watson, Miller and Di Venuto). Things could be a lot worse.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's only fact when it's correct...

Tasmania has had Greg Campbell and Sean Young was quite a joke selection too.

Anthony Clark?? You mean Anthony Stuart.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bollinger finished with 5/15 from 14.5 overs, and Australia batted out the rest of day 3. Jaques in amazing touch, made 136. Fair chance that Pakistan will hold out for the draw tomorrow though, Australia are only 327 ahead.
Lovely stuff. Hope Bollinger has a great domestic season this year.
But Jaques deserves a spot in the Test side, Bollinger is not even close.
I tell ya, he'll (Bollinger) play test cricket for Australia.

To this prediction I add: He will go on the 2009 Ashes tour.

andyc

****ing hate it when people complain of 'state bias.' Yeah, NSW have had lots of internationals, but mostly because they deserved it. Plus, NSW does have the highest population of the states, and so has more chance of producing a decent cricketer.

Matt79

Global Moderator
****ing hate it when people complain of 'state bias.' Yeah, NSW have had lots of internationals, but mostly because they deserved it. Plus, NSW does have the highest population of the states, and so has more chance of producing a decent cricketer.
Hmmm... location say - oh right.

:p

Although the bolded part of your logic might be true for NSW, but doesn't explain why WA, Qld, and SA all produce more internationals than Victoria, despite having much smaller populations...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hmmm... location say - oh right.

:p

Although the bolded part of your logic might be true for NSW, but doesn't explain why WA, Qld, and SA all produce more internationals than Victoria, despite having much smaller populations...
Victorians are dire, obviously. Seriously, you asked for it. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
State bias is my biggest pet peeve with Australian cricket fans, by a huge margin. It's so damn annoying. I suppose I'm somewhat immune as I've lived in several states and don't have any particular attachment to New South Wales (where I live and was born), but it just seems so petty and stupid, especially when the claims are generally totally baseless.