• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussies - pick your attack for The Oval

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BTW I really have to hope Brett Lee plays, and not only because I think that would quite possibly improve England's prospects.
I don't. I think Brett Lee's exactly the type of player you want in your team in a pressure situation like, I don't know, the deciding test of an Ashes series.

I don't think they can find room for him at the moment though, and that's fair enough. If he doesn't fit he doesn't fit. But if he does somehow play I'd back him to do very well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't. I think Brett Lee's exactly the type of player you want in your team in a pressure situation like, I don't know, the deciding test of an Ashes series.

I don't think they can find room for him at the moment though, and that's fair enough. If he doesn't fit he doesn't fit. But if he does somehow play I'd back him to do very well.
Yeah, he worked wonders last time he played in a decisive 5th Ashes Test :ph34r:

pup11

International Coach
Actually changed my mind:

Johnson, Clark, Hilfenhaus, Hauritz
Yeah, that would be a pretty decent bowling attack for the Oval, though I won't mind if Lee plays ahead of Clark and that primarily depends on how fit Binger is, meanwhile going by the reports the Oval pitch seems to be the kind of deck that wouldn't help seam bowlers like Siddle or Clark much.

Therefore an attack consisting of Hilfy, Lee, Mitch and Hauritz helps us to play with a bowling attack that more or less covers all bases, Hilf can use the new ball and conventional swing, Lee can use the old ball well if it reverses, Hauritz can come into play once the wicket starts turning, and Mitch provides the attack with a level of hostility and aggression.

Uppercut

Yeah, he worked wonders last time he played in a decisive 5th Ashes Test :ph34r:
Well he needs his slip fielders to hold first-ball catches off batsmen destined to score 152!

Besides, the fact that he's been there before works in his favour, not against him, IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well he needs his slip fielders to hold first-ball catches off batsmen destined to score 152!

Besides, the fact that he's been there before works in his favour, not against him, IMO.
158, hold your head in shame

He got absolutely caned as the day went on. Sure, it would have been different if Warne had held that catch, but them's the breaks. Mind you, McGrath got caned as well, might not be fair to hold it against him, Pietersen was AWESOME that day

Mr_Cricket

Cricket Spectator

That is my squad for the Oval. I would love to pick Lee for his reverse swing but there just not enough spots.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pietersen was on 15 TBH. The first-ball near-dismissal was actually a correct n\o, when McGrath hit him on the shoulder and appealed vociferously because he was on a hat-trick.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's a good pressure player, fo' sho'. However, he's someone who's very often a very poor (by Test standards..............) bowler, and occasionally a brilliant one. The point is, if he plays, the odds are loaded in England's favour of him being brilliant for their chances. Equally, if the odds-against possibility of him bowling brilliantly happens, then Australia are as good as home-and-dry.

In Lee's first of two spells of brilliance, their record read P7 W7; in the second, it read P8 W6 L1 (and it would've been W7 had lost play been able to be made-up).

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS

After some thought. Bit harsh to drop Siddle after a 5fer, but I think Watto can bridge the gap as a fourth seamer and Hauritz can play a vital role.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I know that Clark isn't that penetrative on flat decks, but he is restrictive. Hauritz hasn't exactly been bad this series, but I honestly see no reason to drop Clark or anybody else.

BTW, there's no point bringing Brett Lee back. He has bowled well lately, but his fitness has been prone to going AWOL quite quickly (as can happen with quicks approaching their mid-30's). Besides, like I said, who could he justifiably replace? Hilfenhaus, who has easily been the most consistent of the AUS bowlers? Johnson, who appears to have regained form? Clark, who turned the screws on England in the first innings? Siddle, who ripped through the tail quickly at Headingley?

Burgey

Well, given the attack Australia has gone in with, this might be an interesting point of reference for those who say pace always > spin. Guess we'll have to see how it pans out.