• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie 30 man Prelim World Cup Squad annouced

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year

The ACB today announced an initial 30-man squad for the 2003 International Cricket Council Cricket World Cup in South Africa.

This squad will be reduced to 15 players by 31 December 2002. Players who have not been named can still be drafted in to represent Australia at the tournament.

The squad is (no particular order):
1.Michael Bevan NSW
2.Michael Hussey WA
3.Andrew Bichel QLD
4.Justin Langer WA
5.Greg Blewett SA
6.Brett Lee NSW
7.Nathan Bracken NSW
8.Darren Lehmann SA
9.Ryan Campbell WA
10.Jimmy Maher QLD
11.Stuart Clark NSW
12.Damien Martyn WA
13.Michael Clarke NSW
14.Glenn McGrath NSW
15.Adam Gilchrist WA
16.Ashley Noffke QLD
17.Jason Gillespie SA
18.Ricky Ponting TAS
19.Brad Haddin NSW
20.Andrew Symonds QLD
21.Ian Harvey VIC
22.Shane Warne VIC
23.Nathan Hauritz QLD
24.Shane Watson TAS
25.Matthew Hayden QLD
26.Cameron White VIC
27.Mark Higgs SA
28.Brad Williams WA
29.Brad Hogg WA
30.Damien Wright TAS

Commenting on the players chosen, NSP Chairman Trevor Hohns said whatever the eventual make-up of the travelling party happened to be, it would contain sufficient depth for the tournament.

This is really the first phase in selecting the squad to attend South Africa for the 2003 World Cup,ö Hohns said.

There are a number of players we need to continue looking at over the coming month as we move to cut the squad by half.

That will be a challenging task because there are several players that could fill a
variety of positions for us at the World Cup.

So far we have selected a healthy mix of players - batsmen, bowlers, all-rounders and three wicket-keepers, which gives us a broad range to choose from when finalising our list, he said.

The Australian side is scheduled to depart for the ICC Cricket World Cup in South Africa on Wednesday 29 January 2003 following the Allan Border Medal presentation on 28 January.

Well im glad to see a few people in there...
Greg Blewet - I have heard from a few people who have links with the ACB that Blewy could be selected as an opener with Gilly to drop down the order, it also gives them a good bowling option...

The 2 Clark's - Stuart who is in the same mold as Glenn McGrath very consistent quick who would revell in the SA conditions, and Michael who i think will be the centre of the Aussie batting attack in years to come...

J.Langer - The guy just needs to play like he does in tests and not do a Slater and try to change his game...

Cam White - A good young cricketer who could fill a spot... Bowls good leg spin and can bat...

D.Wright - A very under-rated prosect from Tassie, bowls at good pace and can hold a bat... I remember the 1st time he was seen, i think it was a test match a few years back when he come on to field as a substitute, has come along way...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
some of those players have no chance, just in the squad to make up the numbers, i wont name names because people like cameron white would be upset.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah i agree Whitey and Wrighty hehehe are long shots but its good to see the selectors taking a look at the youth....

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
are you on nickname basis with these guys now gb????
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Id be so happy if Higgs got in to the final 15. I believe when Bevan loses his brilliance and isnt in the team anymore Higgs is the man to replace him.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hmmmm.... I see only one weakness with these players....

There isn't a Waugh among them :(

chris.hinton

International Captain
Australia will win the World cup, but they could bring in younger player for this competition, my squad we be this

M.Hayden
R.Ponting
D.Martyn
M.Bevan
J.Maher
A.Gilcrist
G.Blewett
A.Symonds
I.Harvey
B.Lee
J.Gilesplie
G.McGrath
S.Warne
M.Clarke
N.Hauritz

hourn

U19 Cricketer
My world cup squad would be:
Adam Gilchrist, Matt Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan, Damien Martyn, Darren Lehmann, Shane Watson, Shane Warne, Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie, Glenn McGrath, Jimmy Maher, Andy Symonds, Nathan Hauritz and Nathan Bracken. With Justin Langer, Andy Bichel, Brad Williams, Andy Symonds, Brad Haddin unlucky to miss out.

What has White done apart from be 19 years of age to deserve a spot in the squad. McGill should not have missed out. White has done jack all in one day cricket (for that fact, FC cricket too) although he is very talented. But at the moment he is a better batsmen than bowler at this level and until he matures, flights the ball more and becomes more aggressive, he will continue to be a better batsmen than bowler at FC/List A level matches.

Eclipse

International Debutant
If we take a back up keeper it should be Haddin.

Not only is he fairly good keeper he would have to be one of the most talented batsman in Australia (dont think he will ever be a great player because of his style) But hell hes got some exellerating shots.

People probably dont apreciate the talents of Haddin as a batsman he times the ball better than Gilchrist ! or there abouts.

I like Campbell as well very good player can smash the ball a mile and is a stylish keeper with no major weekness.

However whilst I have seen him hit a 55 ball 100 in FC cricket apart from his 100 against Queensland in the ING final a few years ago he has been very poor in ODI cricket as a batsman.

Andre

International Regular
No. It's probably fair to say that in the near future at least, noone will be as good as Warne. Whiter bowls too flat, whilst he is improving he's never going to be like Warnie because he can't turn a huge leg break. As for MacGill, expected, disappointing and shocking his exclusion.

What about Kasper and Fleming in this - theve been injured, but surely there still good enough for the top 30 ODI squad.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Im very happy to see no MacGill in the side....

Personally i can't stand him and think he is way to inconsistent to play One Day Cricket....
He bowls way to many bad balls, and usually gets hit for at least 60 runs from his 10 overs in ING Cup Cricket....

The selectors have done the right thing in looking to the future, its not as if they will be playing anyway with Warney there so why not put them into the squad rather than a guy who is unlikely to play anymore international cricket due to his age......
By the time Warnie calls it a day we would be stupid to put MacGill in as his replacement.....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Gregory Blewett

Personally i can't stand him and think he is way to inconsistent to play One Day Cricket....
He bowls way to many bad balls, and usually gets hit for at least 60 runs from his 10 overs in ING Cup Cricket....

The selectors have done the right thing in looking to the future, its not as if they will be playing anyway with Warney there so why not put them into the squad rather than a guy who is unlikely to play anymore international cricket due to his age......
By the time Warnie calls it a day we would be stupid to put MacGill in as his replacement.....
I'm sorry mate but 82 wickets at 25.01 in 17 Tests with an Econ of 2.97 and 6 wickets in 3 ODIs at 17.50 with an Econ of 3.50 doesn't agree with you. Seems like you just don't like MacGill as a person. I feel he should be in the squad because it doesn't matter about the player's personality, it's their ability which matters, something which the England selectors didn't take into account with quite a few "difficult" players in the 90's. He is certianly one of the best in Australia and much better and more deserving than White.

Also, as for you claim that he usually goes for 60 runs off 10 overs...his OD stats are:

50 matches, 92 Wickets at 21.80 and an Econ of 4.81, now that is very good and...wait for it...it's better than Warne!

[Edited on 3/12/2002 by Rik]

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
1) hes only really played tests on spinners wickets

2) you cant judge him based on a few ODI's - Look at him when he is playing ING cup, hes got a good SR but a shocker of an econamy rate

3) ask his coach what he thinks of him, he knows alot more about it than you

4) personality clashes do have an effect on morale ect of a team

5) White was aus u/19 skipper and while it will be a few years yet before he becomes a more known name he deserves a chance to prove himself - also he is an ARer rather than a bowler - he made a 156* in teh u/19 world cup if i remember correctly batting at 4 or 5

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by age_master
1) hes only really played tests on spinners wickets

2) you cant judge him based on a few ODI's - Look at him when he is playing ING cup, hes got a good SR but a shocker of an econamy rate

3) ask his coach what he thinks of him, he knows alot more about it than you

4) personality clashes do have an effect on morale ect of a team

5) White was aus u/19 skipper and while it will be a few years yet before he becomes a more known name he deserves a chance to prove himself - also he is an ARer rather than a bowler - he made a 156* in teh u/19 world cup if i remember correctly batting at 4 or 5
Yes but Australia want a bowler, not a spinning all-rounder...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Rik

I'm sorry mate but 82 wickets at 25.01 in 17 Tests with an Econ of 2.97 and 6 wickets in 3 ODIs at 17.50 with an Econ of 3.50 doesn't agree with you. Seems like you just don't like MacGill as a person. I feel he should be in the squad because it doesn't matter about the player's personality, it's their ability which matters, something which the England selectors didn't take into account with quite a few "difficult" players in the 90's. He is certianly one of the best in Australia and much better and more deserving than White.

Also, as for you claim that he usually goes for 60 runs off 10 overs...his OD stats are:

50 matches, 92 Wickets at 21.80 and an Econ of 4.81, now that is very good and...wait for it...it's better than Warne!

[Edited on 3/12/2002 by Rik]
Mate once again i will enforce this statement....

Stats don't always paint a true picture

If you saw Macgill bowl in Australian Domestic cricket, u would see what i mean...
He is very very erratic, and sometimes reminds me of Michael Bevan bowling...
He gets pasted by other state teams, In test and 4 day cricket he is alot better, still very erratic but can get away with it cause people are less inclined to go after him...

MacGills Domestic One Day stats this season...

vs QLD @ Sydney - 0/30 from 7
vs QLD @ Brisbane - 0/67 from 9
vs SA @ Adelaide - 1/46 from 10
vs Victoria @ Sydney - 3/50 from 9.2

35.2 overs
2 Maidens
193 Runs
3 Wickets
48.25 Average
53 S/R
5.46 Econ Rate

and to go with that he is currently averaging 43 in FC games this season..
So theres enough evidence to say why MacGill was not the right choice...

As for ur argument about Warne, The reason Warnes stats are not as great as he has hardly played Domestic cricket...
The majority of his games were before he started Test Cricket and when he was recovering from injury...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate once again i will enforce this statement....

Stats don't always paint a true picture

If you saw Macgill bowl in Australian Domestic cricket, u would see what i mean...
He is very very erratic, and sometimes reminds me of Michael Bevan bowling...
He gets pasted by other state teams, In test and 4 day cricket he is alot better, still very erratic but can get away with it cause people are less inclined to go after him...

MacGills Domestic One Day stats this season...

vs QLD @ Sydney - 0/30 from 7
vs QLD @ Brisbane - 0/67 from 9
vs SA @ Adelaide - 1/46 from 10
vs Victoria @ Sydney - 3/50 from 9.2

35.2 overs
2 Maidens
193 Runs
3 Wickets
48.25 Average
53 S/R
5.46 Econ Rate

and to go with that he is currently averaging 43 in FC games this season..
So theres enough evidence to say why MacGill was not the right choice...

As for ur argument about Warne, The reason Warnes stats are not as great as he has hardly played Domestic cricket...
The majority of his games were before he started Test Cricket and when he was recovering from injury...
Well I've never seen him bowl badly so how would I know that he's supposed to be rubbish? :lol: Also he has performed well enough in his chances to be given more chances than he has.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah maybe so, but Warnie is the 2nd highest Test Wicket-taker of all time, and why should he be pushed out of the side for Macgill...
And by the time Warnie quits it would be wasted to put Macgill in who would probably only play for 1 or 2 years more, we'd be after a long term replacement...

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
My squad would be:

Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, Bevan, Watson, Warne, Bichel, Gillespie, McGrath, Symonds, Maher, Hauritz, S Clark.

Lee would not be in my squad as he is too expensive though I think he'll be picked regardless. A back up WK will not be required as a repalcement can be sent over. The players in that squad that are in danger are Watson, Symonds and Hauritz. The others are just about certainties. Fringe players to replace those 3 are Higgs, Blewett and Williams.