• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus XI india tour?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The more I think, I am definitely leaning more in favour of picking Murphy in the wider touring squad. Wouldn't have him in the starting XI barring an absolute bunsen like Pune last tour, that would be almost three spinners and Cam Green taking the new rock territory, but if (as seems to be indicated) it is a large squad being taken then he should be a part of it most likely
Yeah agreed. If Lyon was injured you'd definitely want him playing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rumour has it that Australia will take 4 spinners - Lyon, Murphy, Agar & one of Swepson/Zampa

If it was up to me, I would take 3 - Lyon, Murphy (as injury backup for Lyon) & Kuhnemann (best left armer by a mile)

What’s more, I would play Lyon as a lone spinner if Green is fit

Simple fact is that Lyon is the only spinner among the 10 best bowlers in the country so just pick your best bowlers and let Head/Labu/Smith chip in with overs as required

Spark

Global Moderator
Rumour has it that Australia will take 4 spinners - Lyon, Murphy, Agar & one of Swepson/Zampa

If it was up to me, I would take 3 - Lyon, Murphy (as injury backup for Lyon) & Kuhnemann (best left armer by a mile)

What’s more, I would play Lyon as a lone spinner if Green is fit

Simple fact is that Lyon is the only spinner among the 10 best bowlers in the country so just pick your best bowlers and let Head/Labu/Smith chip in with overs as required
Who are you picking as the 4th seamer?

Like I keep banging on about this. There is literally no point playing 4 quicks on most of these tracks.

social

Who are you picking as the 4th seamer?

Like I keep banging on about this. There is literally no point playing 4 quicks on most of these tracks.
Just play the normal attack if Green is fit

There’s no point in playing sub standard spinners just because it’s India

Agar has taken 1 fc wicket this season

Zampa rarely plays red ball stuff and was out bowled by Green when he did

Murphy is a novice

Spark

Global Moderator
Just play the normal attack if Green is fit

There’s no point in playing sub standard spinners just because it’s India

Agar has taken 1 fc wicket this season

Zampa rarely plays red ball stuff and was out bowled by Green when he did

Murphy is a novice
I see so we're going to pick Hazlewood so he can bowl 10 overs an innings and score no runs?

social

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last time Australia beat India in India

Notice anything about the bowling attack?
I suppose the difference now is that Australia have Cameron Green, whereas Australia's part-timers were primarily spinners back then.

Daemon

I suppose the difference now is that Australia have Cameron Green, whereas Australia's part-timers were primarily spinners back then.
India back then was also very, very good at playing spin, so any noob would get taken apart (yes yes i know Clarke took 6/9).

Current India will collapse to any reasonably competent spinner that's getting assistance from the wicket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India back then was also very, very good at playing spin,
And we were also in very poor form leading into those tests, which should not be forgotten. As a batting group, 2004 post Pak tour is the worst our line up was, till about 2007, I think.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Assuming full fitness I'd go with something like the below.

Renshaw
Khawaja
Labushagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Neser/Agar
Starc
Cummins
Lyon

Warner is most certainly going to open though. If so I'd tell him to go as hard as possible and hope he can pull out a quick 50 or so but if the choice was mine I'd pick Renshaw. I'd stick with Head even with his struggles in previous Asian tours. He's likely going to be part of this side for at least 5 years and you have to hope he can learn and adjust his game for these conditions.

Overall I don't see too much point in going with a second spinner given how poor the options are unless its an absolute bunsen in which case I'd go Agar or Swepson for Neser. I don't know how well Neser will go on Indian pitches but feel he'll do better than Hazlewood or Boland. At the very least he is handy enough with the bat to contribute. Kuhnemann would have been my ideal choice as second spinner if he'd had any game time/form recently.

I would avoid throwing Morris into these conditions for his debut and not dent his confidence etc. Let him finish up the shield season and keep him as an option for the Ashes. Would also prefer to keep Murphy to finish up the Shield season and then bring him along to the Ashes for squad experience. If Lyon goes down fly him in then.

Starc is likely injured for the early part of the series though so will likely need to be replaced by Hazlewood or Boland. I'd probably give Haze first go but if he continues to stink it up switch him to Boland after 1 test.

In general I believe between Labu, Smith, Head and Renshaw you've got enough reasonable part time options to make up overs along with Green. If Green is fit I feel his knack of snagging 1-2 wickets per innings will come in quite handy.

It'll also be interesting to see if India are willing to bring out a bunsen this time round. Their batting feels weaker this time around while ours feels stronger than last time. Overall I'd be surprised if we can win the series but feel we can definitely snag a test or a few draws if there are roads.

Burgey

Last time Australia beat India in India

Notice anything about the bowling attack?
The interesting thing about that series is neither Border nor Gavaskar played…

Border would be the perfect player for Aus this series except he’s about 70 odd years old

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Since 1 January 2010 in India, visiting SENA right-arm spinners have taken 181 wickets at 40.24 and left-arm spinners 132 wickets at 37.69

In the same period SENA right-arm spinners playing outside Asia have taken their wickets at 37.14 and left-armers at 39.50.

So overall that's a 4.91 runs per wicket "over performance" of SENA left-armers in India, compared to right-armers if you were to judge based on their performances outside Asia.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Marnus is low-key a really decent spinner imo. You need someone to really give it a rip in these conditions, and no one can deny he doesn't do that. Joe Root-like in all honesty. Excellent 3rd spinner for the subcontinent
I'd be tempted to bin Agar itbt. Murphy just looks far more accomplished and there's no point just letting him play Shield cricket if he's good enough now.

Renshaw, Khawaaaahja, Marnus, Smith, Head, Green, Carey, Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Murphy for me