• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus A vs India at Sydney, 11-13 Dec 2020

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Marsh probably would be the worst option, given there's really no long term benefit

trundler

Just throw whoever is scoring runs in Shield at the top. It's just 1 series and times are dire.

Bijed

International Regular
I think Marsh probably would be the worst option, given there's really no long term benefit
He's fine as a purely stop-gap solution imo. Has the highest potential upside of the potential options (although I would expect that much from him and tbh his age makes it easy to move on from him however he does when Warner's back.

I think Khawaja is also a perfectly fine option in the circumstances. I mean, when:

• You're playing a home series
  • Your only proven quality opening option is injured
  • The other incumbent almost literally couldn't be in worse form
  • The other next-best option is Marcus Harriszzz
refusing to pick either/both of Marsh and Khawaja as a 1-series fill-in is just making things harder for yourselves for no reason imo

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty good game for Wildermuth.

4-92 with the ball and 120 odd with the bat. Can't ask much more from an all rounder.

Burgey

How good is TOTAB spraying Carey and this side’s “effort” in the field? Never misses

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Okay, then Wade and Harris to open with Green at 6. Leaves Labuschagne and Smith at 3-4
Agree.
Wade is in form and Harris has seen the Indian test quicks.
Labu and Smith are an item and should remain at three and four a lot depends on them in the test on Thursday.
Green must come in also he wants to get back on the horse unlike Pucovski.

Burgey

That means one of Wade or Harris misses the next test as Warner is a lock to come back as soon as he’s fit.

I don’t buy Wade as an opener at all in long form cricket tbh. Isn’t compact enough and afaik has never done it. Bloke averages 30 something in the middle order ffs.

Obviously if he bats there I’m all In on wanting him to succeed, but have massive doubts. Arguably weakens the middle order quite a bit too.

Having said all that, am genuinely unsure what the other options are. Harris sadly has to play. The bloke is ****ing woeful. Will be the only time in history I’ll be death riding an Aussie batsman. Worst outcome is he jags a 50 this game and stays there. Don’t think they can pick Burns. Even if he’d groubd out an ugly 20 odd I would have picked him given the cupboard is bare, but he’s totally out of nick. That shot he played across his front pad was terribad for a test opener. Technique 101 that. He’s a shot duck.

gabbadan

That means one of Wade or Harris misses the next test as Warner is a lock to come back as soon as he’s fit.

I don’t buy Wade as an opener at all in long form cricket tbh. Isn’t compact enough and afaik has never done it. Bloke averages 30 something in the middle order ffs.

Obviously if he bats there I’m all In on wanting him to succeed, but have massive doubts. Arguably weakens the middle order quite a bit too.

Having said all that, am genuinely unsure what the other options are. Harris sadly has to play. The bloke is ****ing woeful. Will be the only time in history I’ll be death riding an Aussie batsman. Worst outcome is he jags a 50 this game and stays there. Don’t think they can pick Burns. Even if he’d groubd out an ugly 20 odd I would have picked him given the cupboard is bare, but he’s totally out of nick. That shot he played across his front pad was terribad for a test opener. Technique 101 that. He’s a shot duck.
Agree about Wade but who do select without disturbing the order?
Makes the middle order stronger not weaker with the inclusion of Green IMO.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree about Wade but who do select without disturbing the order?
Makes the middle order stronger not weaker with the inclusion of Green IMO.
Green's a good batsmen and has a solid technique but think throwing a 21 year old debutant at 6 to face bumrah-Shami-Umesh with the pink ball under lights with no experience against the pink ball previously is going to weaken the middle order.

stephen

Green's a good batsmen and has a solid technique but think throwing a 21 year old debutant at 6 to face bumrah-Shami-Umesh with the pink ball under lights with no experience against the pink ball previously is going to weaken the middle order.
Nah, not when he's replacing a guy who is only averaging low 30s himself. Green needs as much experience as we can throw at him IMO. If he's good to go he should play.

gabbadan

Well here are the squad batters.
Name your top and middle order.

Australia Test squad: Tim Paine (c), Joe Burns, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne,, Steve Smith, Matthew Wade, M Henriques.

Last edited:

Burgey

Cover for Green I'd imagine. Been in good form for a couple of years, Moises. Previously he would play one good knock per year at Shield level but he's been much better the past two years. Deserves this call up tbh. If they want someone to bowl half a dozen overs and cover for the seamers, he's the best bet given MMarsh hasn't bowled since the IPL injury.

gabbadan

Cover for Green I'd imagine. Been in good form for a couple of years, Moises. Previously he would play one good knock per year at Shield level but he's been much better the past two years. Deserves this call up tbh. If they want someone to bowl half a dozen overs and cover for the seamers, he's the best bet given MMarsh hasn't bowled since the IPL injury.
I think you're right. Moises has been more steely this year and could well come in at 6.

stephen

Having Burns open gives him a test to either come good or get fired for Warner, which is fine. Same with Harris. But I really do want to see Green play if he's available.