• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aus A vs India at Sydney, 11-13 Dec 2020

gabbadan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Having Burns open gives him a test to either come good or get fired for Warner, which is fine. Same with Harris. But I really do want to see Green play if he's available.
And if Burns comes good then we are stuck with him.
Hohnsy please don't do it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’d rather be stuck with Burns than Harris. The former is no world beater, the latter has quantifiably negative impacts on teams he plays in. After he dropped Stokes at Headingly then another sitter at the Oval, he basically should have been denied even a grade deal, let alone get a shot at playing for australia again.

If he plays I hope he makes a king pair. Genuinely despise him to that extent.

gabbadan

Langer virtually implied tonight on a BBL cross that Green would get a berth but would not be drawn on the openers.

gabbadan

I’d rather be stuck with Burns than Harris. The former is no world beater, the latter has quantifiably negative impacts on teams he plays in. After he dropped Stokes at Headingly then another sitter at the Oval, he basically should have been denied even a grade deal, let alone get a shot at playing for australia again.

If he plays I hope he makes a king pair. Genuinely despise him to that extent.
Probably why Warner has continually plugged for Burns as his partner.

Burgey

Langer virtually implied tonight on a BBL cross that Green would get a berth but would not be drawn on the openers.
they must be pretty concerned with the quicks workload off a pretty disrupted preparation, though tbf Green warrants selection on batting alone. And let’s be honest, if your A/R is bowling all of six-eight overs a day, it’s literally only 2.5 overs difference in workload for the other quicks anyway.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep an all rounder usually does very little for workload purposes. Green had earned a call up based on his batting alone IMO. At this stage in his career I consider his bowling to be icing.

gabbadan

BBL commentators Mark Waugh and Brett Lee on Aussie openers Heat game Monday.
Brett.
Wade/Harris Green at 6.
Mark.
Harris /Labushagne Green at 6.

the big bambino

International Captain
I think Khawaja, young Shaun Marsh and Mad dog are 3 better options than Harris and Burns. You can tell how little faith pundits have in them when they prefer middle order batsmen to open despite Harris and Burns being the only 2 openers in the squad.

Since they're in the squad I'd go with them and just pray they can somehow flum a few runs. But if you want to fit Green in, not just for his batting but his bowling would be some insurance against Starc's form, Pattinson's lack of matches and Neser's honest triers, then I'd go with Brett Lee and bump Wade up at the top with Harris. I prefer Burns but his level now is so trash its below Harris imo.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year

aussie tragic

International Captain
"National coach Justin Langer has confirmed Cameron Green will make his Test debut against India, if deemed fit to play on Thursday, and has also backed Matthew Wade to open Australia's batting."

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I think Wade struggling against Woakes during the first innings of the Birmingham test last year has coloured my perceptions somewhat on his ability to play the swinging ball. However, given the pink ball doesn't swing so much, it might work if we can open our innings in the daytime. I think he actually has the requisite patience from the way he played Wagner, even though the results weren't very pretty.

Spikey

he also backed joe burns. and i'm sure he'd back his little brother marcus harris. doesnt mean match.

Burgey

"National coach Justin Langer has confirmed Cameron Green will make his Test debut against India, if deemed fit to play on Thursday, and has also backed Matthew Wade to open Australia's batting."
the CA site this afternoon had Langer uncommitted on who was opening, aside from ruling out Labushagne doing it

social

Unusual circumstances this year but why do the selectors insist upon naming squad for first test so far in advance every season?

Couple of years ago, it was done to coincide with season launch and one of the chosen players was completely out of nick by game time

social

Must have been before he spoke to ABC
nah

Heard interview and it wasn’t endorsing Wade as an opener

Standard cliches from BNG - hard, fit, never let you down, etc

Social Jr was in car with me & summed up his personality perfectly

“Who’s this boring ****”