• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Atul Sharma

Whats going on?

• Total voters

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds more like it - surely in the same league as Lee and Akhtar.

Hasn't Tait also broken the 160?
There was a vid up on YT which had Tait starting an over against NZ at 157km/h and going up from there. Dunno why it's not up any more, probably a copyright claim.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
tait has broken the 160 barrier, reckon it was against either england or NZ in the 2007 ODI series.
Has it been properly recognised though? A lot of these speedo's in matches are pretty inaccurate, it's difficult because it has to be measured from such a distance there's a lot of scope for error. It's much more accurate in a net scenario. I remember once seeing Anderson being clocked at 94mph at Lords in an ODI, obviously that wasn't right!

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
We are talking about one delivery...
Even then, it's to do with physical capability. If he clocked it once he would have clocked it at least once or twice more in other matches, he hasn't. They also had Sidebottom at 89 in that match if that put's things in perspective, even the comms were being suspicious.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Even then, it's to do with physical capability. If he clocked it once he would have clocked it at least once or twice more in other matches, he hasn't. They also had Sidebottom at 89 in that match if that put's things in perspective, even the comms were being suspicious.
I'd seen Sidebottom approach the 90mph mark several times in his brief ODI stint.

Ponty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Some absolute rubbish being spoken

He is an olympic quality athlete TRUE
He can run a 4.0 40m NOT TRUE
He has a top speed of 108mph NOT TRUE (and frankly laughable)
He can be accurate in the mid nineties TRUE
He has a great yorker WORKING ON IT
He can swing the ball both ways TRUE
He runs sideon to the crease ONLY AT THE END
He hasn't played a game of cricket for seven years TRUE

I just want to clear up some absolute garbage being spoken about Atul Sharma on this site.

King Pieterson..for a start you are hyping the s*** out of Atul Sharma by saying I said he bowled at 108mph. I said no such thing. He has bowled a ball at around 100 mph in practice and has a hand release speed approaching 105 (104,8) but we don't know what that equates to in MPH on a speed gun.

This was also just one ball at this speed in a 3 year period.

He can run 40 yards in 4 seconds (flying start which means he is already running) but this has nothing to do with his bowling speed. It's merely to explain that he's an athlete rather than a cricketer.

I don't wish to enter into a discussion here but there is so much stupid hype about Atul and posters will only think that everything is untrue. He's strongly built and has a great ground speed, as you expect from a sprinter. But that's it. He has bowled the odd ball at very high speed IN TRAINING but that's it.

I have no idea with The Royals will do with Atul, or if he will even play a game for them.

Bowling fast and straight in a match is something completely different to bowling in nets with no batsman.

Everyone needs to be sensible about this guy. He has raw pace and can deliver a ball with a tail on it into the batter, sometimes away. But he is still learning. He's not finished by any means. Give the guy a break.

Some of these ridiculous comments are precisely the reason we worked away from people during the 3 years. He has only recently got his speed up and King Pieterson will know that it's not easy to develop pace quickly.

Please discuss the facts by all means, but let's not hype the guy to a point where he being destroyed before you even know what he bowls like, or looks like!

irfan

State Captain

I just want to clear up some absolute garbage being spoken about Atul Sharma on this site.

King Pieterson..for a start you are hyping the s*** out of Atul Sharma by saying I said he bowled at 108mph. I said no such thing. He has bowled a ball at around 100 mph in practice and has a hand release speed approaching 105 (104,8) but we don't know what that equates to in MPH on a speed gun.

He can run 40 yards in 4 seconds (flying start which means he is already running) but this has nothing to do with his bowling speed. It's merely to explain that he's an athlete rather than a cricketer.

I don't wish to enter into a discussion here but there is so much stupid hype about Atul and posters will only think that everything is untrue. He's strongly built and has a great ground speed, as you expect from a sprinter. But that's it. He has bowled the odd ball at very high speed IN TRAINING but that's it.

I have no idea with The Royals will do with Atul, or if he will even play a game for them.

Bowling fast and straight in a match is something completely different to bowling in nets with no batsman.

Everyone needs to be sensible about this guy. He has raw pace and can deliver a ball with a tail on it into the batter, sometimes away. But he is still learning. He's not finished by any means. Give the guy a break.

Some of these ridiculous comments are precisely the reason we worked away from people during the 3 years. He has only recently got his speed up and King Pieterson will know that it's not easy to develop pace quickly.

Please discuss the facts by all means, but let's not hype the guy to a point where he being destroyed before you even know what he bowls like, or looks like!
I presume from your username Ponty that you are Ian Pont. Just wondering Ian, when can we expect a video of Atul bowling?

Top_Cat

If this isn't Ian Pont, how sad.

If this is, this post is unprofessional in the extreme. Smacking down posters on the internet will not win you friends no matter who you are, especially on this site. On one hand you as us to judge for ourselves then on the other, berate another poster for having an opinion. If you really want people to 'wait and see', let them. Put up or shut up.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
If this isn't Ian Pont, how sad.

If this is, this post is unprofessional in the extreme. Smacking down posters on the internet will not win you friends no matter who you are. On one hand you as us to judge for ourselves then on the other, berate another poster for having an opinion. If you really want people to 'wait and see', let them. Put up or shut up.
How is it unprofessional? He's lashing out at KP for misrepresenting his claims about Sharma's speed and providing clarification to slow down the hype over Sharma and the massive skepticism (on the part of posters here) that comes with it. This thread wouldn't have so much activity if the supposed claims surrounding Atul Sharma weren't so unbelievable. Don't see what's wrong with that.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Seems I mis-heard/misinterpreted some of the comments Ian made, and probably shouldn't have divulged some of the information I did, but we all make mistakes, and I've apologised for mine. Just looking forward to seeing Atul bowling now, hopefully he'll get a go in the IPL in place of Trivedi or Munaf, even if it's just for 1 game to test him out.

Top_Cat

How is it unprofessional? He's lashing out at KP for misrepresenting his claims about Sharma's speed and providing clarification to slow down the hype over Sharma and the massive skepticism (on the part of posters here) that comes with it. This thread wouldn't have so much activity if the supposed claims surrounding Atul Sharma weren't so unbelievable. Don't see what's wrong with that.
Getting involved in debates/bitching about Sharma with people who have absolutely no impact on the situation (i.e. us) is, in my view, unprofessional. At best, it's pointless. A professional would worry less about what people are saying and more about making sure when this supposed phenomenon is loosed upon the earth, he delivers on even 1/2 of what's being claimed. A professional, if he was so worried about what is being said, would learn really quick to keep his trap firmly shut instead of bitching at people who supposedly misrepresent it. If what people are saying is untrue, who cares what they're saying anyway?

Until we se this bloke, no matter what is being said or who's saying it, it's nothing but vapour. Even if this was Pont himself saying "It's all true, he really can do what I say he can" until he demonstrates it, there's really not much more to be said. What I've read in this thread and elsewhere online is nothing but unsubstantiated spin

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems I mis-heard/misinterpreted some of the comments Ian made, and probably shouldn't have divulged some of the information I did, but we all make mistakes, and I've apologised for mine. Just looking forward to seeing Atul bowling now, hopefully he'll get a go in the IPL in place of Trivedi or Munaf, even if it's just for 1 game to test him out.
Tbh, it'll be hard to displace Munaf from the starting line up. He was not superb, but he did a job for Rajasthan last year. Trivedi wasn't too bad either, batsmen did struggle to pick his slower balls.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
What makes me really skeptical about this whole Atul Sharma thing is that there hasn't been a single word about him in the press, which seems amazing considering the ridiculous nature of the Indian Media concerning cricket.

Lambu

U19 Debutant
He has bowled a ball at around 100 mph in practice and has a hand release speed approaching 105 (104,8) but we don't know what that equates to in MPH on a speed gun.
Could anybody clarify this for me? AFAIK, nowadays bowling speeds are measured from the bowler's hand. So why is there a confusion as to what that would equate to on a speed gun?