• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG ODI XIs

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, I'm not a fan of the pinch hitter. Reckon it's a ridiculously sub optimal strategy. Get him in at 7 to biff a few.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England

1. Trescothick
2. Pietersen
3. Trott
4. Hick
5. Flintoff
6. Buttler
7. Botham
8. Swann
9. Broad
10. Gough
11. Anderson
But how often did KP actually open for us? I'd have him at 4 after Hick, which is a tad harsh on Trott but he'll get over it.
To partner Tresco, pick one from Knight, Gooch and Stewart.

And I wonder whether your side has one too many bowler. Maybe Thorpe or Fairbrother at 5 and lose one of Broad and Anderson.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
KP opened towards the end of his career and was pretty decent at it, albeit from a limited number of games. I reckon he'd have been good under the current regs if we still had him, he's a god at T20.

I think you need at least 6 bowlers under current regs. If you only have 5 bowlers and one is having an off day then you're in trouble.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Under the current rules you need a biffer up front. Still it is your team so whatever works for you.
Disagree. I think under the current regs a biffer up top is a poor strategy, the most important stat after 10 overs is wickets lost, not runs scored. Having said that, I've gone for 2 decent biffers anyway in Trescothick and Pietersen. Trott and Hick can do the consolidation and I've got Flintoff, Buttler and Botham himself to launch the ball at the end.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. I think under the current regs a biffer up top is a poor strategy, the most important stat after 10 overs is wickets lost, not runs scored. Having said that, I've gone for 2 decent biffers anyway in Trescothick and Pietersen. Trott and Hick can do the consolidation and I've got Flintoff, Buttler and Botham himself to launch the ball at the end.
Well you were recommending Ali to open for the present day England side and he is a poor man's biffer. The only argument for having him in the side is to get off to a rollicking start with his SR of 100.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Mark Waugh-1st slip
Hershelle Gibbs-cover
Ricky Ponting-short midwicket
AB DeVilliers-keeper
Andrew Symonds-short cover
Paul Collingwood-mid wicket
Johnty Rhodes-extra cover
Andrew Flintoff-mid off
Shane Warne-mid on
Brett Lee-fine leg
James Anderson-Third man
Probably want a point and it should probably be your best fielder. Either Rhodes or Ponting.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well you were recommending Ali to open for the present day England side and he is a poor man's biffer. The only argument for having him in the side is to get off to a rollicking start with his SR of 100.
Moeen averages 32 at the top of the order which is quite decent when you're striking at 100. For all that the game's moved on, striking at 100 at the top of the order is still fairly rare. I don't think Botham would be capable of doing that at the top of the order.

Then add in Moeen's handy offies and there's a lot of upside to him as an ODI cricketer.

Flem274*

123/5
Ideally you want one anchor opener and one opener to go for it, then cake down to #5 with hitters at #6 and down.

Buttler is probably going to become more of a cake who bats at the SR of icing so I'd swap him with Flintoff in the order of Furball's team. My gut says Flintoff at #5 is too high, even though he had some success there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ideally you want one anchor opener and one opener to go for it, then cake down to #5 with hitters at #6 and down.

Buttler is probably going to become more of a cake who bats at the SR of icing so I'd swap him with Flintoff in the order of Furball's team. My gut says Flintoff at #5 is too high, even though he had some success there.
Flintoff's best work came at 5. Best all-rounder there's ever been in ODIs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Had chris harris in my 2nd XI till i found i couldnt keep him out og the 1st. Ruined the balance.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Flintoff's best work came at 5. Best all-rounder there's ever been in ODIs.
Criminally underrated in that format isn't he? Genuine strike bowler and batter. Imran Khan and Klusener the only others in the same class in terms of genuine all-roundness.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He was the world's best death bowler by an enormous margain in his pomp, during which time he'd also have walked into most middle orders on batting alone.

Gob

International Coach
Matty Hayden (07 version)
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Virat Kohli
AB DeVilliers
Andrew Symonds
MS Dhoni * +
Wasim Akram
Brett Lee
Joel Garner