• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Asia cup 2022

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Now they should make SL play India for the real title

They're not good, just the best of Asian teams. Watch them get smashed in the World T20
Pacers are still an issue for them and so if the pitches in world T20 aid pace, they might struggle. But batting-wise and spin-wise, they have a quality base right now.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
India had both Pakistan and SL in similar positions in their chases as SL had Pakistan by the 10th over of the chase. Huge difference in the level of effort from bowlers. SL was so disciplined and their spinners could actually take wickets. India has a huge problem where wickets just don't come.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The Indian side feels stagnant atm. We have no young players that make you sit up and take notice. No mystery spin, no extreme pace, no young batsmen of enterprise coming through, or being given a chance, other than Surya. Pant wasted down the order. Still hugely dependent on oldies and Bumrah. Meh.

Lankan stocks are brimming on the other hand. Lahiru, Chameera, Fernando, Akila, Hasaranga, Theekshana, the two Madhus...ridiculous depth and variety there. They'll give anyone a run if the batsmen do a half-decent job.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pacers are still an issue for them and so if the pitches in world T20 aid pace, they might struggle. But batting-wise and spin-wise, they have a quality base right now.
I don't think the pitches will "aid pace". Aus pitches recently have been pretty placid and slower than historically typical. They won't aid spin anywhere near as much though which will be the issue for SL.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't think the pitches will "aid pace". Aus pitches recently have been pretty placid and slower than historically typical. They won't aid spin anywhere near as much though which will be the issue for SL.
Their spinners dont depend on "turn" as much though. I think Theekshana is an excellent PP spinner and Hasaranga is an awesome middle overs spinner. DDS is there as backup. They can pretty much use other seamer allrounders and fast bowlers and round out their side.

What this Asia Cup shows is the importance of having allrounders, even if they are not bonafide test match ones. Or at least, having batsmen who can bowl and bowlers who can hit well. This is where we have been going wrong consistently.

And of course the genius minds of Harsha Bhogle and Parthiv Patel (middle class, in the case of the former), it means playing Shami Bhuvi Bumrah Chahal as our 4 main bowlers, basically ensuring we are playing 4 #11s who are all liabilities in the field as well.

I think the exact lineup they suggested on Cricbuzz live after the Afghanistan game was something like - Rohit, Virat, Rahul, SKY, Hardik, Pant, DK and those 4. I am sure that is what we need, 3 keepers, and a top 7 where only one can bowl and 4 #11s and a weak ass fielding unit, in Australia of all places.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Their spinners dont depend on "turn" as much though. I think Theekshana is an excellent PP spinner and Hasaranga is an awesome middle overs spinner. DDS is there as backup. They can pretty much use other seamer allrounders and fast bowlers and round out their side.

What this Asia Cup shows is the importance of having allrounders, even if they are not bonafide test match ones. Or at least, having batsmen who can bowl and bowlers who can hit well. This is where we have been going wrong consistently.

And of course the genius minds of Harsha Bhogle and Parthiv Patel (middle class, in the case of the former), it means playing Shami Bhuvi Bumrah Chahal as our 4 main bowlers, basically ensuring we are playing 4 #11s who are all liabilities in the field as well.

I think the exact lineup they suggested on Cricbuzz live after the Afghanistan game was something like - Rohit, Virat, Rahul, SKY, Hardik, Pant, DK and those 4. I am sure that is what we need, 3 keepers, and a top 7 where only one can bowl and 4 #11s and a weak ass fielding unit, in Australia of all places.
This is basically the #batdeep v proper bowlers argument, I've generally always been a fan of #batdeep but I'm starting to swing away from it.

Having 4 (or even 5) genuine quality bowling options can be huge. Can add more than a couple extra half-decent batting options at 7 and 8 that rarely do much in T20s anyway

Bit of a side note but how is Jadeja not one of the first players picked for the T20 side. Genuine top 6 bat + 4 overs of darts. I see that his stats aren't that great but he's hardly been given a chance to build an innings

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach

To be fair, C grade teams win in Australia.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Rizwan 44(42) right now. Wonder how this guy is going.
Yeah he must have had a great " I told you so moment"
The momentum shifted with SL innings 2nd half but it was a bottle job by Rizwan and Ifit that lost the game.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Congrats SL fans totally deserved.

Pakistan poor middle order means we can't afford Babar/Rizwan and Fakhar to go off the boil.

Pace bowling was good but death bowling needs work apart from Haris no one bowls well at the death including Shaheen. Nawaz and Shadab were probably the biggest positve with middle overs spin I think we missed a trick by not using Shadab @ 4.

T 20 for showcasing of cricketing skills variety is argubly the worst format but it's the format that reward you the most for your tactical nous and quick on your feet thinking I think with time teams will look to have a skipper in this format who is good with the tactics and not just one of the best players on your team.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit of a side note but how is Jadeja not one of the first players picked for the T20 side. Genuine top 6 bat + 4 overs of darts. I see that his stats aren't that great but he's hardly been given a chance to build an innings
He is. Currently injured and undergone surgery. Hence, wasn't picked for asia cup.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Going forward this is my T 20 side
Rizwan
Fakhar/Shan
Babar
Haider
Shahdab
Asif
Nawaz
Faheem
Shaheen
Naseem
Haris

Two anchors can't open together Fakhar to open and ask hm to tee off if his form is not improving get Shan in and make him do the same job. If Shan/Fakhar falls then babar can take the anchor role while Rizwan tees off.

Haider is a a great talent imo and I would give him all 7 games vs England, Shadab batting is severely under utilized i think he can do both the accumulation phase and then start hitting better then Ifti who was used for this role right now. Asif, Nawaz are your hitters along with Faheem who I will bring back hes a multi skilled player not a world beater by any means but can be utility and Naseem, Shaheen and Rauf will complete the final Xi.

Not a world championship winning side by any means but a much better balance then what was tried here.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Rajapakse is turning in to one of my favourite players should be fetching millions in IPL from what I have seen off him.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is basically the #batdeep v proper bowlers argument, I've generally always been a fan of #batdeep but I'm starting to swing away from it.

Having 4 (or even 5) genuine quality bowling options can be huge. Can add more than a couple extra half-decent batting options at 7 and 8 that rarely do much in T20s anyway

Jaddu is injured. Otherwise he walks into our first 11.

And the point of the bowlers with batting ability is that it mentally frees up the batters at the top to go for their shots more. Right now T20s have evolved to become a game about big hitting. You either win or lose, but you are always going big. And for that to happen, batting depth is essential. The difference between CSK in IPL 2020 and 2021 is the best example of this.

Also, neither Shami nor Chahal are good enough to justify playing ahead of bowlers who bat and field better than them. They are good but they are not THAT good.

Last edited:

girish117

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes true. 1 in 5 leaving out the matches in the middle where he did well doesn't look pretty indeed. That's quite rare to happen for an international batsman.
indeed quite rare for a batsman to hold on with performances against HK and afg in 2 years of continuous non performance like gambhir said.

the big bambino

International Captain
Rahim & Riyad have to go for BD... Enough is enough. I really liked how Ebadot bowled. Maybe he will come more handy in Australia.
SL need Chameera & Kumara both. Trundlers have no place in Australia.
Fast bowlers used to go to Perth, and fooled by its reputation, bowl short and get carted. I think OS fans can be fooled by the reputation of Australian pitches too. You need a fast bowler but can get by with him being supported by a new ball bowler, another bowling hard length and getting bounce and a spin bowler who can bowl dry yet threaten wickets. A leggie like Mushtaq or Kaniera wouldn't be knocked back either.

Kerry O'Keefe reckoned you needed 2 of pace, bounce or movement to do well here. Add accuracy too. A fast bowler pure and simple can get pantsed here.