• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashwin's streak and position

Chrish

International Debutant
Really want to see how Gill will go. Like VVS, he is beautiful to watch; just pure elegance. I like the way he takes pace bowlers on with pull shot.

I am not sure about his ability against spin. He will do well on bouncy wickets where ball comes on the bat. Not sure how he will go where it will seam. Also, tends to throw his wicket away which is frustrating. Hope he scores a first test hundred. That should increase his appetite for bigger scores.

He is a rare talent and needs to be looked after.

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah I still don’t think Ashwin is a proper all-rounder. To me Jadeja is a proper all-rounder. So is Stokes and so were Flintoff and Kallis. Ashwin is a bowler who can bat a bit like Hadlee.

Chrish

International Debutant
Good question! Personal opinion but judging by stats alone, it gotta be Kallis. Scored 13000 runs @55 and took close to 300 wickets @32.

I mean I don’t think it’s humanly possible to be more of an all-rounder player than that.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think its Miller

In his prime Botham was an ATG bowler and ATVG bat I guess? More all rounded than Kallis but still with an obviously better discipline

Miller is tricky coz his test bowling average was said to be a bit flattering and the opposite is true for his batting average, but yeah he was a number 5 test bat an opening bowler. Botham was an aggressive 6-7 bat in a great bit of form

Engle

State Vice-Captain
[QUO
Isn't Botham like the definition of a pure all-rounder? At least till he wasn't fat.
Yes, he was.
You have the
1. batting AR
2. bowling AR
3. well-rounded AR. One for whom it is very difficult to discern their dominant suit. Botham falls into this category. Even Miller, one could argue, was a better bowler than batsman, so his stronger suit could be discerned.

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
So is Ashwin the greatest Indian bowler of all time?

I think yes.
He has only a limited edge with his spinning angles but he spins a web, lays traps and deceives batsmen with his wrong ones and variations. He genuinely attempts to get most batsmen out every ball. Stokes, Smith, David Warner etc...have gotten out easily due to his field positions and bowling variations. He does not need a spinning track to pick wickets. He can do so by intelligence and out-thinking batsmen.